It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:00 am

Possible pickup problem? The Block PASV-4 

Post Possible pickup problem? The Block PASV-4
Let me start off by saying I am the rankest beginner, so this may sound stupid – but I think I may have a problem with the pickup block on my 10-string. I’ve had it since December, and always have had a hard time keeping the sound balanced on the bass side. By that, I mean if the lower strings are at a good volume, the higher pitched three have to be hit quite hard to be as loud, particularly between the 0-5 frets. The bass channel also has to be set about 50% higher than the melody channel on the amp as well. I assumed it was the cheap amp I was using, but now I’m using a 600w keyboard amp, and have the same problem. (BTW, I have a Stick Bass that sounds just fine with the same setup)

Picture included, but the strings all seem to be the same distance from the pickups.

One other issue – the switch pictured below in one position seems to delivering sound from both sets of pickups on both sides. However, in the other position, the bass strings produce no sound at all, as though both of their pickups are off.

So I now suspect there is a problem with at least one of the pickups on the bass side.

Any suggestions for what to check or how to fix? Do you think a competent local guitar shop might be able to help? I sent my Stick Bass in for work last October, and didn’t get it back until this June, so I’d prefer not to send it to California – at least until the Railboard I ordered at the same time arrives (current ETA December or January).
Let me start off by saying I am the rankest beginner, so this may sound stupid – but I think I may have a problem with the pickup block on my 10-string. I’ve had it since December, and always have had a hard time keeping the sound balanced on the bass side. By that, I mean if the lower strings are at a good volume, the higher pitched three have to be hit quite hard to be as loud, particularly between the 0-5 frets. The bass channel also has to be set about 50% higher than the melody channel on the amp as well. I assumed it was the cheap amp I was using, but now I’m using a 600w keyboard amp, and have the same problem. (BTW, I have a Stick Bass that sounds just fine with the same setup)

Pictures included, but the strings all seem to be the same distance from the pickups.

One other issue – the switch pictured below in one position seems to delivering sound from both sets of pickups on both sides. However, in the other position, the bass strings produce no sound at all, as though both of their pickups are off.

So I now suspect there is a problem with at least one of the pickups on the bass side.

Any suggestions for what to check or how to fix? Do you think a competent local guitar shop might be able to help? I sent my Stick Bass in for work last October, and didn’t get it back until this June, so I’d prefer not to send it to California – at least until the Railboard I ordered at the same time arrives (current ETA December or January).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Possible pickup problem? The Block PASV-4
Jimsantos wrote:

Could you take a picture of the cables you're using and describe the signal path from the stick to the amps? It sounds to me like you're using a Tip sleeve cable (mono) or plugging a stereo cable in to a mono jack somewhere along the way. Specifically that switch behavior. Funny thing is that could also explain the first problem.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:01 am

griotspeak - I'm using the standard CBI Stereo cable provided by Stick Enterprises. IN fact, I've tried the one I use for my Stick Bass as well, just in case. I've also tried a standard guitar cable, in case that was the purpose of the second switch position, but it also just delivers the melody side.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Probably a daft question, but some say there are no daft questions, so here goes...

Is it safe to assume that you're familiar with this page at SE about the PASV4?

https://stick.com/instruments/pickups/pasv4/

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:34 am

DavidWS - yes, I found that page earlier today, and from playing around with the pickup select knob, I've confirmed all pickups are working. I've raised the height of the pickups under the EAD strings on the bass side, and it has helped - a little. They still do not have the same volume as for example the EAD strings on the melody side.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Can you take pictures of it set up? What are you plugging the cables in to and where?

If a socket you're plugging in to only expects a tip-sleeve connection, you would get most of the behavior you're describing.

That switch should actually make it work (carry both sides) in one position with the guitar cable.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:43 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

griotspeak wrote:
Can you take pictures of it set up? What are you plugging the cables in to and where?

If a socket you're plugging in to only expects a tip-sleeve connection, you would get most of the behavior you're describing.

That switch should actually make it work (carry both sides) in one position with the guitar cable.

This is only true if you have an ACTV-2 or an NS/Stick, the mono signal is wired to the tip of the jack (the bass output), so a regular guitar cable will carry both signals. On the PASV-4 the ring (melody out) carries the mono signal, so you still have to use a TRS to dual mono cable.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery