It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:58 pm

1970 MOOG synthesizer 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: 1970 MOOG synthesizer
gpoorman wrote:
It's so easy to go down the Eurorack rabbit hole. Once in a conversation I was having with Claire Steger, she referred to it as "Euro-crack". That made me laugh because ... well ... because it's true ;)

I still stand by that! You can even fool yourself thinking you're not spending much since various modules are pretty affordable. But overall it's an addictive money pit (albeit a really fun one). I've chosen not to get euro rack stuff for myself, focusing on Stick-based things. Although you could probably get a pretty nice modular synth setup for the price of a Stick...

SteveS wrote:
What I would love is a tutorial or book that discusses the sound qualities of instruments I’m already familiar with, and showing how those attributes can be recreated using the oscillators, envelopes, filters, LFO’s etc. The goal isn’t to actually duplicate the instrument, but to use the familiarity with actual instruments to understand all the different parameters of sound and thereby an understanding of how to use the available tools to shape the sound.

Most early / easy synths use subtractive synthesis which is based on fairly simple building blocks. Beginner tutorials will focus on the aspects of sound - pitch, timbre/tone, amplitude. The key is to understand how the various parts of the synth control and shape these aspects.

Acoustic or electro-acoustic instruments are actually fairly complicated to recreate. It's why you generally use samples or physical models to recreate them.

Glenn's tutorial is excellent, Learning Synths is one that starts really basic. There are likely tons of tutorials out there. If you have a specific synth you're using, it's probably best to find a tutorial for it.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:46 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Claire wrote:
Glenn's tutorial is excellent, Learning Synths is one that starts really basic. There are likely tons of tutorials out there. If you have a specific synth you're using, it's probably best to find a tutorial for it.

Well, I worked through 10 of those tutorials from HRS Courses last night.

I have to say that VCV Rack has really helped my understanding of synths. For many synths, the connections between the various components aren't obvious. In analog audio I'm so used to only being aware of a single signal chain, but in synths you have not only the oscillator-generated signal, but the control voltage signals. Playing with the VCV Rack, using virtual "patch cords", it all becomes instantly clear.

I hope to find other tutorials, or maybe some existing patches that I can either download or implement and reverse-engineer. I get your point about duplicating acoustic or electro-acoustic instruments, but the attributes of those instruments can be understood and implemented in a synth. What I'm looking for is a tutorial that (for instance) discusses brass instruments, and what ADSR settings display a "brass-like" behavior, or how a VCO or VCA (or something else) can be applied to a wave that results in some of the properties of bowed instruments. Note that in that video, Wendy Carlos mentioned one of her patches had a "brass-like" sound. I have no idea what accomplishes that! :D

It's kinda like learning music. Once you know what the "rules" are you can confidently break them and come up with something original. Being able to listen to a sound and have some way of analyzing it in terms that can then be applied in a synth is the "learning the rules" part.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:21 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

SteveS wrote:
Claire wrote:

Well, I worked through 10 of those tutorials from HRS Courses last night.

I have to say that VCV Rack has really helped my understanding of synths. For many synths, the connections between the various components aren't obvious. In analog audio I'm so used to only being aware of a single signal chain, but in synths you have not only the oscillator-generated signal, but the control voltage signals. Playing with the VCV Rack, using virtual "patch cords", it all becomes instantly clear.

I hope to find other tutorials, or maybe some existing patches that I can either download or implement and reverse-engineer. I get your point about duplicating acoustic or electro-acoustic instruments, but the attributes of those instruments can be understood and implemented in a synth. What I'm looking for is a tutorial that (for instance) discusses brass instruments, and what ADSR settings display a "brass-like" behavior, or how a VCO or VCA (or something else) can be applied to a wave that results in some of the properties of bowed instruments. Note that in that video, Wendy Carlos mentioned one of her patches had a "brass-like" sound. I have no idea what accomplishes that! :D

It's kinda like learning music. Once you know what the "rules" are you can confidently break them and come up with something original. Being able to listen to a sound and have some way of analyzing it in terms that can then be applied in a synth is the "learning the rules" part.

There's a lot of info in the Sound on Sound Synth Secrets series. Otherwise, maybe look up info on early synths like the ARP2600 or Minimoog, they have patch books available and hopefully some online tutorials to explain them.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:23 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

‘Patch and Tweak with Moog’ is now available on Amazon.
Looks like a good introduction, just came out.

The tutorials on YouTube by Omri Cohen are also worth a look.
https://youtu.be/RTdVbR_qTWg

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Claire wrote:
There's a lot of info in the Sound on Sound Synth Secrets series. Otherwise, maybe look up info on early synths like the ARP2600 or Minimoog, they have patch books available and hopefully some online tutorials to explain them.

And if you're so inclined, Arturia makes software versions of most of the classic synthesizers and they are incredibly accurate. Moog Modular, Minimoog, ARP 2600, Prophet 5, and about two dozen others. Quality stuff!

mad_monk wrote:
‘Patch and Tweak with Moog’ is now available on Amazon. Looks like a good introduction, just came out.

It's a good read. It's a mix of history and tech stuff geared pretty much exclusively to Moog products. Well worth it but I wouldn't recommend it as an intro to synths.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Claire wrote:
Learning Synths is one that starts really basic.

Gosh that's fun to play with! Thanks Claire. :D

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:27 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm finding it very instructive to plug all kinds of outputs into a scope. Makes things like the difference in the behavior of a "gate" and a "retrigger" obvious.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:22 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I started down the Eurorack rabbit hole about 6 years ago... look where I am now... it's addictive and expensive but I absolutely love it. The most fun I've had with music in 50 years!

Attachment:
20211222_163535.jpg

gpoorman wrote:
SteveS wrote:
Hah! Just managed to find it. I also discovered a series of 13 tutorials on YouTube for it!!zdInkAPA[/url]

Yeah you can get lost in it really easy.

I've always had one or two hardware synths in the house but started to dabble in some of Moog's semi-modular stuff a while back so the collection is growing. Right now it's all sitting idle as I don't have the time but I'll get back to it for sure. It's so easy to go down the Eurorack rabbit hole. Once in a conversation I was having with Claire Steger, she referred to it as "Euro-crack". That made me laugh because ... well ... because it's true ;)

Art Durkee has some serious expertise in the Eurorack department. He's been into it for years.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

10 string Nickle Plasma Railboard #6974 MR tuning.

http://www.randomfaktor.com

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:39 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Impressive! I like what you are doing.
glennfin wrote:
I started down the Eurorack rabbit hole about 6 years ago... look where I am now... it's addictive and expensive but I absolutely love it. The most fun I've had with music in 50 years!

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:10 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

glennfin wrote:
... look where I am now...but I absolutely love it. The most fun I've had with music in 50 years!

'Mission Control' does music! Love it. :D

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 am