Recording Interface suggestions for video 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Recording Interface suggestions for video
popstuart wrote:
I have been considering mixer or interface. And am wondering about these 2:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... th-effects

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... martphones

Anyone have eperience with either of these?

Thanks,
Harry

I have used a Mackie 402VLZ4 for a number of years (currently not using it, moved to an HX Stomp a year ago or so). Good mixer. It may not be important depending on your signal chain, but I bought it intending to use it standalone for a while (Stick -> mixer -> bass amp), since I didn't know what I wanted early on in my Stick journey. I chose this one specifically because it has two Hi-Z inputs, where most other small mixers only give you one (a Stick should have Hi-Z for both sides). I no longer need that capability, but it was a "short list" feature at the time, and occasionally it is still nice to just plug directly into the mixer and go out into the amp. Note that it has no aux outputs, though (that's one of the prices of going small/simple).

Your Mackie linked above appears to have two high impedance inputs, also.

For whatever that may be worth.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:45 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I just swapped out my small mixer for a Behringer CONTROL2USB monitor controller which includes the USB audio interface. I’m only leaving a couple of features of the controller unused vs over a half-dozen on the mixer. The mixer was way overkill & I wish I’d known about monitor controllers before I bought the mixer! :roll: :(

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:44 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for the advice, Greg. I appreciate the feedback Steve and Gusset. Coincidentally just watched a YouTube review comparing the Mackie to the Yamaha mixer.

Harry

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:56 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Harry, what video software do you plan on using to make your videos with? Seeing you have an Aeros looper, you may already have something to use to improve audio. If you don't overdo too many tracks in the Aeros, you can save what you play as stereo files and dump them into the video software. Just adjust the volume of the iPhone/mic vs the Aeros files. Getting a better mic live a Shure Mv88 may be a little easier combined with the Aeros if you don't want to add a mixer. I can't really say to do this though without knowing what software you want. If you are just using Quicktime, then getting a mixer might be a better option. Something to consider if you record in a room with good acoustics. Or if it's bad then forget using a mic.

For example:

I tried recording both my Stick and guitar in the Aeros. But I only captured the guitar as I ran out of memory for my Stick, so the audio on the Stick is from Logic. The guitar however is a blend of the stereo out from my guitar blended with the audio from my on camera mic on my camcorder. I could have also used my iPhone with the MV-88 Shure mic. I use Final Cut to put the videos together. But most video programs will allow you to mix recorded audio with the audio from the video as well. Just adjust the volume between the two sources.

In the above vid I was going for no DAW, but the Aeros doesn't seem to like stereo from two instruments, at some point I'll try it again and see if mono doesn't eat the memory, but the Aeros is an awesome looper. Something to consider to use for a backup recording to play through for video use. Thought I'd share this with you as you mentioned you have one.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for that comprehensive reply and video, Steve. I have decided to go with a Mackie ProFX6v3 mixer. 6 Channels, usb in and out, small footprint. I think this will do the trick.

Harry

Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:48 am