It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 am

Seating 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Seating
Does anyone have any strong feelings as to optimal seating for Stick playing? Looking at the current thread on Stick supports specifically for playing seated, I was wondering if there is any consensus with regard to the type of chair/stool best for seated playing?

I have a conventional armless office chair, a piano bench and a drum throne (with a back suppport) in my music room.

I'm thinking the drum throne is going to be my preference because of that support. I found myself "hunching" while sitting at the drum kit. The support which presses into my lumbar keeps me sitting erect & able to play for 60-90 minutes at a stretch with no back issues. The only problem is my throne is "fixed" - it doesn't rotate, so it's pretty much dedicated to the drum kit at this point (sadly, casters on a drum throne wouldn't work well at all! :lol: )

What does everyone else use that works for them?

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:51 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Seating
There are some players here that I think play almost exclusively sitting. I'm the complete opposite and never sit , but have thought about it lately , though I move around a bit when playing, which I like, so it will be interesting to see responses.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey Steve,

I'm definitely going to keep checking this thread for the advice and experience of others.

Myself, I use an armless "drafting stool", which swivels and is height adjustable. The adjustable height makes it very comfortable.
It also has an adjustable circular foot rest which comes in handy sometimes.
Just have to be careful not to raise the seat too high, as the Stick, (when using a lap bar or Lap Dawg), might slip off your lap...I try to keep my thighs basically parallel to the floor. The swiveling feature allows me to more easily access various foot pedals too.

A note: I switch back and forth between using a "Lap Dawg" and a Brian Baggett "Lap Bar".
Best wishes to all, Bill

Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

It's good to sit on something that has a height adjustment, especially if you plan on using a lap bar of some sort. Ideally, your thighs would be parallel to the ground which will help balance the instrument. When using a lap bar or Lap Dawg, if you sit up straight and the instrument isn't too close to your body or too far away, then you can even dispense with the strap. In this case you want to avoid "holding the instrument up", because you want your hands to move as freely as possible.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Here’s what I’m using. A bit massive and none swivel but does the job quite well.
Along with the Lapdawg.

https://www.quiklok.com/product/dx-749- ... -backrest/

Attachment:
FA3B0550-EA7A-4B1D-AA03-AEDCB1C524AC.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:50 pm

I'm not yet a stickist, tho my Grand Railboard is complete and awaiting setup.

I play guitar using cello end pins so that the guitar is vertical like a cello. The chair I've used for this for many years is the Emeco 1006.

https://www.emeco.net/variants/emeco-1006-navy-chair-brushed-us-navy

They've become rather pricey; last time I checked they were over $600. You can find knockoffs online for around $100 that are very similar tho not as well made. You can find used ones on ebay on rare occasions, too. The Emeco has a 75-year warranty and after you have one, you see why. It's practically a piece of sculpture and also indestructible.

I'm 6'1", and the Emeco provides the perfect posture for seated playing for me. Plus in recording sessions, there are never any chair squeaks or chair noises; another bonus of the Emeco is that they are so well-made as to be dead silent. I can spend hours in this chair and never feel fatigued. For me, it is certainly the perfect playing chair and I'll be using it for my Stick once it arrives.

Visiting artists have looked askance at the chair and thought it was not ideal. Until they tried it. No one that's tried it has not loved it and noticed the perfect playing posture it provides. I have a couple of spares for collaborators in the studio. My collaborators love them.

Expensive in a way. Tho not if you see it as a lifetime investment in your posture when playing or if you want to eliminate chair noise in a recording environment.

However, chair selection is likely a very personal choice; I'm not saying the Emeco will work for everyone, but it certainly does for me.

Regards,
-e.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:05 am

Padded top Cajon with a foot pedal to thump out the beat!!!

deep red railboard grand

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:56 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

StickBam wrote:
Padded top Cajon with a foot pedal to thump out the beat!!!

Hey! There we go!! :lol:

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

https://www.wengercorp.com/chairs/index.php

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery