It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm

DIY, quick-and-easy Stand Up or Seated Stick Stand (SUSSS) 

Post DIY, quick-and-easy Stand Up or Seated Stick Stand (SUSSS)
DO NOT leave your instrument in such a way that it could fall!

I got a Stick last month, and the belt hook and shoulder strap are a bit of a hassle. I visited a Guitar Center here in the Tampa, FL GMA to look for an amp. On a lark, I wandered into the drum area, wondering if maybe I could find something to help me with the hook and strap.

I bought a new Ampex-brand cymbal stand for about $100 (USD,) fiddled around with the articulating joints, and have been using it as a stand-up or seated Stick stand. It works GREAT!

I presume that males here can relate to that *painful pinching* that comes from sitting with the Stick belt hook in the pants. As for females, it seems that most of your garments wouldn't be conducive to holding up the Stick - sitting or standing, especially in a dress.

This stand idea works for ALL of us, while seated OR standing.

NOTE: Care must be taken when adjusting the boom arm and final piece (the one that usually holds a cymbal,) and when positioning / resting the Stick on the stand - especially the first so many times.

DO NOT leave your instrument in such a way that it could fall!

I repeat: DO NOT leave your instrument in such a way that it could fall!

To reiterate: DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT leave your instrument in such a way that it could fall!

I live alone without kids or pets that could topple this. Also I'm not ready to play in public. So I don't have a lot of hazards that could tip this thing over, or knock the Stick off of it.

If anyone has any input, improvements, or ideas, please feel free to expand on this. I haven't seen this elsewhere and if I am the originator, consider this freesourced.

The first improvement that I want to make, is to match whichever cymbal stand was used by Neil Peart.

All glories to Emmett Chapman.
RIP maestro Sean Malone.
See attached pictures.

This is my debut post, are we supposed to sign off with our instrument serial numbers?

If not, forgive me but I've seen a lot of them on this forum. If so:
Grand Rail #7244

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:43 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: DIY, quick-and-easy Stand Up or Seated Stick Stand (SUSS
Clever bit, and so easy...!

Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

On a slightly different note, this stand is meant for when you're NOT playing ... I found it difficult to find a place to put the instrument in between using it. This one also is of my own invention ... has served me now for 18 yrs and no problems so far ;)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:51 am

Interesting idea. How does it work when seated? Does the boom come in over your leg, or do you center the stick over the stand base and lower it such that you have one foot on either side of the stand? Stand low and centered in front of your chair kind of approach?

For the brand of stand, might you mean "Mapex?"

TIA,
-e.

Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:42 am

Ezra wrote:
Interesting idea. How does it work when seated? Does the boom come in over your leg, or do you center the stick over the stand base and lower it such that you have one foot on either side of the stand? Stand low and centered in front of your chair kind of approach?

For the brand of stand, might you mean "Mapex?"

TIA,
-e.

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:38 pm

"How does it work when seated? Does the boom come in over your leg, or do you center the stick over the stand base and lower it such that you have one foot on either side of the stand?"

The boom swings over my left leg when seated. It works great at my desk - both at home and at work - because I can swing it toward/away from me at will.

"For the brand of stand, might you mean "Mapex?" "

Yes, I did.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:50 am

Poppa Yeti wrote:
"How does it work when seated? Does the boom come in over your leg, or do you center the stick over the stand base and lower it such that you have one foot on either side of the stand?"

The boom swings over my left leg when seated. It works great at my desk - both at home and at work - because I can swing it toward/away from me at will.

"For the brand of stand, might you mean "Mapex?" "

Yes, I did.

The seated option sounds really promising; I'll have to try that. Thanks for the info, Poppa Yeti.

-e.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:53 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Poppa Yeti wrote:
I presume that males here can relate to that *painful pinching* that comes from sitting with the Stick belt hook in the pants. As for females, it seems that most of your garments wouldn't be conducive to holding up the Stick - sitting or standing, especially in a dress.

I've never seen anyone recommend that you put the belthook into your pants belt and then sit down to play. Ever. You are right, it's not comfortable, and the stress can actually break the belt hook.
For decades I used a loose belt, with the belthook resting on the front of the chair, just to keep the instrument from sliding off the front of the chair. This is extremely comfortable.

For more about this please see the first video in my series "Basic Free Hands Technique"

The relevant bit begins at 3:47

Lately I use a lap bar instead, as I like how the instrument is balanced, and I don't even need the strap. Not saying your stand is a bad idea, just questioning your premise a bit. The belthook is designed for standing play, in these other instances it's not really a "belthook" any more.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery