It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:46 pm

Helix LT? 

Post Helix LT?
Greetings.

I see quite a lot of content about the Helix Stomp, but very little about the Helix LT. It would be helpful and interesting to hear how stickists are using the LT, if anyone is using one.

Specifically: the LT as a preamp/EQ, stereo signal path options, harmonizer options, and anything else that's pertinent.

TIA,
-e.

Sun May 09, 2021 9:29 am

Post Re: Helix LT?
Hi, i use the Helix LT and i got rid of all my other effects. You can do everything with the Helix LT. Use the preamps , have two seperate effect paths. It is incredible what you can do with it and it sounds very, very good! I use it in combination with a LD Maui 28 II Line array PA and that is a fantastic soundsystem for stick. I play it with a 12 string grapahite grand stick and all the tones sound fantastic.I highly recommend the Helix LT for use with the chapman stick. I love it!
Gr.
Peter

Thu May 13, 2021 1:25 pm

camerbreed wrote:
Hi, i use the Helix LT and i got rid of all my other effects. You can do everything with the Helix LT. Use the preamps , have two seperate effect paths. It is incredible what you can do with it and it sounds very, very good! I use it in combination with a LD Maui 28 II Line array PA and that is a fantastic soundsystem for stick. I play it with a 12 string grapahite grand stick and all the tones sound fantastic.I highly recommend the Helix LT for use with the chapman stick. I love it!
Gr.
Peter

Thank you, Peter; that is very helpful.

-e.

Fri May 14, 2021 10:22 am

Any commentary on using the Helix LT or floor would be helpful. I have a floor model and have been trying real hard to dial my tones in. Guitar is no problem and I realize a Railboard is a different beast. Been able to set my 2 ins and outs but tones seem a lil more 'wonky' with a Railboard.

Railboard #6594 Black MR
Jason M.

Fri May 14, 2021 4:20 pm

Has anyone been able to get a good gain tone with a stick/railboard and a Helix? I know it doesn't have the strongest signal strength. I try using preamps and such to boost but most of the gains are sounding flat. Granted I don't need a shredder's tone but something with some gravitas would be nice.

Railboard #6594 Black MR
Jason M.

Fri May 14, 2021 5:43 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I use the Helix Floor with both my Chapman Stick and Railboard.

Almost every block on the Helix has a gain. The volume knob on my Helix is normally set at 25% (or it starts to get too loud). The Helix feeds straight into the main amps of a Roland JC-120 (connection at rear of amp). All of the pre-amp knobs on the JC-120 are set to 0. The advantage of using only the main amp input at the rear, is the noise floor is 0. The only noise floor heard, depends on which Helix amps/cabs or IRs that I use. If I turn the volume of the Helix down, you won't know that the JC-120 is on.

Creating a great tone will take some time. I use a wet/dry dual signal path on the melody side and a single path on the bass side. I also use IRs (impulse responses) instead of the Helix cabs. My favorite IR is from a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I have the real amp and the simulated one. The differences are minimal. Most people would not be able to tell the difference.

On the melody side, I have two different delays in series. This creates an interesting reverb effect that can be controlled on the fly. The other important thing that I do is I use the LA Studio Comp at the end of my chain. It's not functioning as a compressor so much as it's leveling out the effects prior to going into the JC-120. I like the Helix very much and don't see any need to ever purchase another effects pedal. It does everything that I need.

drknvdr wrote:
Has anyone been able to get a good gain tone with a stick/railboard and a Helix? I know it doesn't have the strongest signal strength. I try using preamps and such to boost but most of the gains are sounding flat. Granted I don't need a shredder's tone but something with some gravitas would be nice.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Fri May 14, 2021 9:41 pm

WerkSpace wrote:
I use the Helix Floor with both my Chapman Stick and Railboard.

Almost every block on the Helix has a gain. The volume knob on my Helix is normally set at 25% (or it starts to get too loud). The Helix feeds straight into the main amps of a Roland JC-120 (connection at rear of amp). All of the pre-amp knobs on the JC-120 are set to 0. The advantage of using only the main amp input at the rear, is the noise floor is 0. The only noise floor heard, depends on which Helix amps/cabs or IRs that I use. If I turn the volume of the Helix down, you won't know that the JC-120 is on.

Creating a great tone will take some time. I use a wet/dry dual signal path on the melody side and a single path on the bass side. I also use IRs (impulse responses) instead of the Helix cabs. My favorite IR is from a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I have the real amp and the simulated one. The differences are minimal. Most people would not be able to tell the difference.

On the melody side, I have two different delays in series. This creates an interesting reverb effect that can be controlled on the fly. The other important thing that I do is I use the LA Studio Comp at the end of my chain. It's not functioning as a compressor so much as it's leveling out the effects prior to going into the JC-120. I like the Helix very much and don't see any need to ever purchase another effects pedal. It does everything that I need.

drknvdr wrote:

Interesting. Thank you for sharing this, WerkSpace!

-e.

Sat May 15, 2021 1:49 am

Hey everyone,

I am using a Helix LT unit and it is absolutely amazing. Using it live and at home. Live I send the signal to my bass-amp (DI to the PA, the amp is only for monitoring on stage).
I am absolutely thrilled by the snapshot function. Here is a video of me playing through a complex song (schism by tool) with my helix lt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8RxV3vLepY

You can notice that I only push down my foot for the soundchanges without having to move it to another footswitch. That is because of the snapshot settings. You can go through your snapshots with only one footswitch. It is so helpful not to navigate through your effects when you are busy with playing the stick...
The LT is the perfect match for the stick for me.

Best regards

Pierre

Mon May 17, 2021 12:58 am

Derfedaykin wrote:
Hey everyone,

I am using a Helix LT unit and it is absolutely amazing. Using it live and at home. Live I send the signal to my bass-amp (DI to the PA, the amp is only for monitoring on stage).
I am absolutely thrilled by the snapshot function. Here is a video of me playing through a complex song (schism by tool) with my helix lt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8RxV3vLepY

You can notice that I only push down my foot for the soundchanges without having to move it to another footswitch. That is because of the snapshot settings. You can go through your snapshots with only one footswitch. It is so helpful not to navigate through your effects when you are busy with playing the stick...
The LT is the perfect match for the stick for me.

Best regards

Pierre

Thank you, Pierre; most interesting.

Anyone else?

TIA,
-e.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:48 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Question for the Helix LT users. The HX Stomp and HX Stomp XL both have stereo inputs, but the Helix LT

Are you using the FX Return (or maybe both Returns) to get a second channel?

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:05 pm