It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 pm

GlisSandoz on Stick...(for weirdos only) 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post GlisSandoz on Stick...(for weirdos only)
As a fan of Gong, I'm always looking to "fuse" that sound, that Daevid Allen/Steve Hillage glissando guitar and, yes I know using a slide on Stick, you're not "two-handed tapping" so if you're not into experimenting or exploring read no further. If you're like me (weirdo) and have tried a slide and found they are too heavy for the low action/low tension of the Stick, take it from the Gong guitarists and try...A STRAT VIBRATO ARM! I pulled my Squire Strat arm off the other day, and, it works! The small length between the screw-in and first bend gave me accuracy and finesse (and 500ms of delay). Off to the Angels Egg...

Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: GlisSandoz on Stick...(for weirdos only)
I don't know who gong is, but I have tried many different slides on the stick. There's a guy in the California that sells knuckle slides, it's A small slide like a ring on your finger he has glass coated brass, brass or just glass. If I find the link I'll send it to you. I have a few of them.

The bigger slides I found started breaking strings pretty quickly,. Really just the high strings. .009 strings don't hold up well to slides, unless you have a really soft touch. I liked to tap my slide, hence breaking strings.
Slides are good for open type tunings, it's hard to use on a stick. you really only want to slide like two or 3 strings at a time, unless you're doing some really funky stuff. And I think you need some heavier gauge strings.
But, rock and roll whatever you're into.
I have to look up this gong.

Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:19 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
I don't know who gong is, but I have tried many different slides on the stick. There's a guy in the California that sells knuckle slides, it's A small slide like a ring on your finger he has glass coated brass, brass or just glass. If I find the link I'll send it to you. I have a few of them.

The bigger slides I found started breaking strings pretty quickly,. Really just the high strings. .009 strings don't hold up well to slides, unless you have a really soft touch. I liked to tap my slide, hence breaking strings.
Slides are good for open type tunings, it's hard to use on a stick. you really only want to slide like two or 3 strings at a time, unless you're doing some really funky stuff. And I think you need some heavier gauge strings.
But, rock and roll whatever you're into.
I have to look up this gong.

Don Schiff uses a carabiner to good effect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:23 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Cool idea. I actually use a Thimble on my RH for slide on Stick; works good - I stole the idea from the Great Ron Thal.

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:13 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

...slightly off topic, but I so love hearing musicians doing things with their instruments in ways most others might not consider.

Recently, I saw an amazing film by Ron Fickle called "Cronos"
[I might be off on the spelling there...]

In the soundtrack, the composer used an instrument called The Blaster Beam.

All of a sudden it clicked as to what I was going to [finally !!] do with my Warr Phalanx, which for me was too much like trying to play a table with it's ultra wide fingerboard.

So with very minimal modifications - easily reversed if need be - I converted my Warr into a Blaster Beam, and I have to say the results were/are quite startling to say the least !!

When I lived in NYC and was a fringe part of the early 1980s downtown art and music scene, I used a - is it a ferrell ?? - from a two piece deep sea fishing rod, one where the butt end was removable.

I still have it to this day, but have not used it in many many years.

It was light, slipped over my - maybe ring finger ?? - perfectly, and did the job with very minimal effort as far as string pressure went.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:14 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The Stick is such a Cool Instrument. I love that Emmett put in Free Hands "the only thing you can't do is blow in it". That was The Bible that came with Ironwood #1212 from Sam Ash NYC in '85 or whenever it was, I was smoking a lot of bud back then, and listening to Gong, along w/ the rest of thee Canterbury Scene. And the NYC Scene in the 80's when I was active w/ a band was crazy with experimentation, George, we might of crossed paths and didn't realize it. So I'm happy a couple of you Stickists replied 'cause I put up these tidbits like capos and such (Shubb standard capo for nylon string guitar, flat, wide {and smaller} fretboard) for Good, not Evil. And for anyone who never heard of Gong, not Pierre Moerlen's Gong, which is great but "fusion", I'm talkin' Daevid Allen's hippy-trippy "fusion" of fairey-tail, acid folk space inner-eye improv-composed whatever "does humor belong in music" stuff. Thank you for listening to me, now I gotta Google Blaster beam...

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Blasterbeam. Got it. I have a couple of shorter versions in various levels of dis-repair. It's why I keep my old Stick strings...and the violin bow. You never know...and old Strat pu's are pretty cheap in my neck of the woods.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

This posts brings back nice memories. I was 17, playing bass in a band named Space Window and we opened for Gong in La Chaux-de-Fonds Switzerland. Year was 1971. We were of course flabbergasted by David Allen’s glissando technique and also lucky enough to do a 2 bands jam after the end of Gong’s set. Great moments indeed!

Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Olivier wrote:
This posts brings back nice memories. I was 17, playing bass in a band named Space Window and we opened for Gong in La Chaux-de-Fonds Switzerland. Year was 1971. We were of course flabbergasted by David Allen’s glissando technique and also lucky enough to do a 2 bands jam after the end of Gong’s set. Great moments indeed!

You lucky duck. And being a bassist first, Mike Howlett was a Cosmic Groove Influence to me.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery