It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:47 pm

Wall stand for Stick, take 2 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Wall stand for Stick, take 2
A number of years back, I posted about a wall stand I cobbled together for my Stick using some scrap lumber.  Well, recently someone on Facebook commissioned me to build one like it for them.  I put a bit more care into it this time around, used better materials, and added a design element to the lower shelf to better secure the instrument.  I like how it turned out. I've christened it the "Limelight" wall stand, because one reason to put a Stick on the wall in one's studio or music room is to call attention to it and make it easier to see and appreciate. (No Rush connection intended. Awesome song.)

Given that wall mount options for a Stick are limited, I'm wondering if any other folks might see the appeal and want one. Is this the sort of thing anyone would be interested in? Pricing would be $110, plus shipping.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:19 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Wall stand for Stick, take 2
Nice made. However, does this continuous strap fastening work well in use?

I think that if I need to make such a wall holder, I would limit myself to a simple wide handle into which the belt hook would slide. By selecting the appropriate thickness of the board entering the hook, and bend and tilt angle this board, you could make the Stick hang securely on the belt hook perpendicular to the wall and vertically, just like on your belt.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

mahabresq wrote:
By selecting the appropriate thickness of the board entering the hook, and bend and tilt angle this board, you could make the Stick hang securely on the belt hook perpendicular to the wall and vertically, just like on your belt.

I think the board would need to be 13mm thick, and the angle is 30° ? Maybe someone can measure these.

However, the belt hook is subject to a degree of movement, which is normally fine because the Stick is anchored by the neck strap and dampened against the body. By mounting the Stick to the wall on a fixed board, you’re relying on just the two screws in the belt hook alone. The design above is probably more secure, I would guess.

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

What you're describing is basically my stick stand but mounted to a wall. When I initially made the stand I didn't plan on being able to leave the stick unattended but it's actually very secure against falling over. The b elt hook is extremely sturdy and it holds the entire Stick's weight when in use. The professional musicians here will have put weight on it for something like 6 hours a day for years and I don't think they've had any issues with the screws being able to support it. But I do think putting the weight on the butt end is better - that's solid wood in line with the mass of the instrument whereas the belt hook does create a lever, even though it's only like 2" long.

In short I think that a belt hook mount that doesn't take weight but just prevents rotation in the x and z axes plus the bottom support you've got there would be very secure.

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:35 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for the thoughts. There are multiple options for constructing a wall mount that would be valid and could be made to look good. However I haven't seen many actual builds (just conversations), commercial options intended for a Stick are not available, and not everyone is willing or able to make one themselves.
mahabresq wrote:
Nice made. However, does this continuous strap fastening work well in use?
Not sure I understand the question, but here's a bit of history that might answer.

I first built this 7 years ago. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6358& It's a typical floor Stick stand concept like many of us use constantly. However the stand itself can't be knocked over and the upper strap helps keep the instrument from tipping, so I consider it less precarious. Until about 4 weeks ago, it had no lower strap. I have the upper strap in place whenever it's on the stand, which is to say whenever I'm not playing or at a gig. Though I've tripped over a plugged-in instrument cable a few times and given myself a start, and we've had a couple of small tremors (<4.5), it's never come down.

A different environment calls for more, obviously (small kids, etc.), especially given that it's several feet off the ground. The individual I made this one for is in California, so I added the lower strap. It's a significant difference maker. I don't know that I'll personally use the lower strap on a consistent basis, though.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:12 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Victor:

Sorry for my terrible english.
I thought that attaching a straps is always an additional activity to be done. You have 2 straps ... I personally like to grab the instrument or put it on a stand. Using your solution, in the end, I would probably simplify it and I would give up attaching these straps, and ... one day I would probably regret it.

Anyway everything I wrote was not intended to criticize your construction either. I also believe, that many roads lead to Rome.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

This is a nice addition for the at-home player, which is essentially everyone these days. Good job Vic! :D

I'd love to see them made in wood matching their Stick passengers, but I know this is a dream for right now.

A nice design Vic, do you think you will ever make them available for sale here?

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

earthgene wrote:
This is a nice addition for the at-home player, which is essentially everyone these days. Good job Vic! :D

I'd love to see them made in wood matching their Stick passengers, but I know this is a dream for right now.

A nice design Vic, do you think you will ever make them available for sale here?
Thanks, Gene.

Frankly, it wasn't even on my radar until several weeks ago when someone asked me to make one, and it's not exactly profitable as side gigs go. But it seems like a small gap in the available accessories for a Stickist, so definitely, the answer is "Yes". If anyone wants to contact me about it, and there's interest in having a few made, I think it would be cool to produce a batch for the community.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:22 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Vic. I would like to buy 5. No, I do not have 5 Sticks, or even 4, but maybe someday. :D

Any discount in bulk lol...

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Got it, Gene. Yes to a bulk discount, let's get in touch about it offline.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 pm