It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:50 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 TAGG 3.0 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: TAGG 3.0
Glad to hear that Interlochen was a rewarding experience. Certainly was for me back in 2015.

TAGG 3.0 is a big deal and we're not rushing it. Eric Knapp is leading the development effort at this point and making strides in improvements.

No dates on when they'll be available, but I'm hopeful we'll have announcements on 3.0 before the end of the year.

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Eric mentioned some things about the newer interface so I may purchase one once the new version is up and running.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Hey guys, following this thread with great interest and just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

I have been researching this thing for a while and am at the point where I am toying with the thought of just getting a few pieces of board, gluing / screwing them together, don't imagine it can be too hard really. I find it quite difficult to get into a comfortable position with the stick, although I love playing it.

But my question is related to the cymbal stand - have looked at other instrument stands, and one that's a lot less high is a didgeridoo stand. Any thoughts?

The ball joint that others mentioned above is nice - must be quite sturdy, I think.

Another question is that one thing that comes up in relation to Tagg interface is that the stick is supposed to sway a little from side to side, when mounted on the cymbal stand - any experience?

Many thanks

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:03 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Seg, I have a couple of Tagg's and I think that you are right in your concern, if you are thinking about the instrument
being mounted at a height for standing; playing in that way can feel a little unstable even dangerously so if not mounted on a very strongly based stand, say a tom stand instead of
a cymbal stand. Didgeridoo stands all seem to be mods of other stands anyway and not any stronger than a cymbol stand, just cut for height.

Before the Tagg I built a holder for the Stick out of an old acoustic guitar
set upon a low backed guitar stand which also could accommodate a small practice amp.
But to make it strong enough I needed to bolt the Stick to the body :evil:. Not an ideal setup :|.

This is what lead me to the Tagg via Gene in the first place. But because of the unstable aspect I am still more inclined to use the guitar body as I can grab it with my knees but still have more freedom
to move my body without the Stick itself moving. I have likened this to a vertical piano that enables you to 'climb' and descend through chord shape and musical phrasing with a different kind of ease than if the instrument is attached to the body via the belt hook or even the Lap Dawg.

The next experiment for me would be to attach a Tagg to an old cello body, which I have. A very cheap Chinese Cello, small amp included, but a more substantial one and also the larger body to stand or sit behind. When I find the time ;)...

I don't know if that helps but I do think that the Tagg is great for what it is and it is also very well
made. Can you make something that will work? Of course. Thanks for keeping this thread alive 8-) .

jRj

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi JRJ

Thanks, very interesting -- if not too much trouble, would it be possible that you attach a picture of how it looks when you use that old guitar + stand?

I appreciate that feeling that you are able to lock the fretboard into position ('vertical piano') which is exactly what I am keen to achieve.

JRJ wrote:
Before the Tagg I built a holder for the Stick out of an old acoustic guitar
set upon a low backed guitar stand which also could accommodate a small practice amp. But to make it strong enough I needed to bolt the Stick to the body

I have likened this to a vertical piano that enables you to 'climb' and descend through chord shape and musical phrasing with a different kind of ease than if the instrument is attached to the body via the belt hook or even the Lap Dawg.
jRj

I actually wrote to that guy Taggart a few years ago, but he basically said there were no more interfaces in the pipeline. And that was in 2015 or so. He's a luthier by training if I'm not mistaken, so I don't imagine I could make anything nearly so nice as his interfaces, but options seem kind of limited. Thanks again - sounds like I have just got to build something that works for me. :D It's "Adapt, improvise, overcome" as Clint Eastwood says in Heartbreak Ridge.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:10 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Seg,
It was mildly difficult for me to get into my old Photobucket account, but I did it.
I think they want me to pay them to keep my pictures there, so the photos, unfortunately have their logo plastered on my images :evil:.

But it worked, so you can see the beast. I am not really too fond of technology, social media
etc. Also, I am not particularly adept at posting selfies or instruments, so thank you for asking me to do this. It is one small victory :|. I would not have ventured there without you :).

I call this Stick the "Dragon Stick" as it is collaged with Asian dragon motif's.
My wife and I are artist's collage makers and used to make furniture and murals for high
end clients in Silicon Valley :roll:. The cupboard in the background is one of the pieces
we kept. I put the selfie of me playing at a yoga retreat in La Honda California way back when
just for fun, but it would have been helpful to have had a Tagg for that gig 8-).

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:33 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I built my Stick Stand for $75.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12070

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi JRJ

WOW super cool. I really appreciate the trouble you took to dig those pictures out - much appreciated. Love the cupboard behind the stick too.

And I understand what you mean by using an old guitar + stand, after seeing it. Makes lots of sense. Looks so natural too, in fact it looks almost camouflaged. Beautiful.

@ WerkSpace, thanks a lot - yes I followed your thread and looked at your pictures earlier too. I fact, I have visited these forums before, but had to create a log-in this time around, solely to check out your pictures. :D

Thanks again to both of you, very helpful.

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:02 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'm a DIY guy (and broke). Lapdog - 2 timbale sticks ductaped together covered with a pool "noodle" bought at DollarTree. (I have noodles all over the place as instrument rests). TAGG - tomtom stand (heavier than a cymbal stand, and I found it used) and some wood and measuring and cutting and drilling and nuts&bolts. Sorry no pictures I still have a phliphone and am typing on a borrowed laptop. And yes a TAGG-type interface makes for a rigid Stick which I find very comfortable and playable.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

ok I'm just re-reading things here as I actually received a message regarding my statement of the Lap Dawg not picking up the hole pattern on my 1985 Ironwood, anyhow I thought I posted these pictures previously - but I didn't and they are of a stand solution made out of ebony and carbon fiber - it was made by a luthier in Oregon, and it was specifically designed for my Mobius Toneweaver, I even have the blue prints for it.

Where I am going with this is I personally feel it is a brilliant concept, as one can play either seated - like a cello - or standing up - like an Ampeg Baby Bass... and before you ask I am 6 ft 7 in hence my nick name of Big George.

I would love to find someone who could build me a similar block which would pick up the hole pattern on my 1985 Ironwood, because I think this would be a very fun way to go for those of us of size where playing with the belt clip is uncomfortable at best :( :( :(

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:37 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next