It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:50 am

Two-Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound for Stick? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Two-Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound for Stick?
Greetings,

Is anyone using Wall of Sound with their Stick? I recently got a Torpedo Captor, to use with my guitar amp, and it came with WoS. Was wondering if anyone had any tips or presets for getting a decent Stick sound with it?

I'm running my Stick through the SP13, line-outs into my interface, and two separate tracks in my DAW, each with a separate instance of WoS (one for bass and one for treble). I live in large apartment building that prevents me from using my live amps, otherwise I'd be using them. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#6051 Wenge SG12, PASV-4, MR (2012)
#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR (2008)
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR (2008)

- Ted

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Two-Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound for Stick?
The only thing I know about the wall of sound is that Phil Spector is currently in jail.

Bahaha.

Cheers,
Kev

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I don't have much experience with the Two-Notes products but use cab sims in my MOD Duo extensively for an electric guitar like sounds. I love screaming distortion driven sounds on my melody side but you really need a cabinet for those to sound good.
However, I found that there is magic in the direct sound without a cab sim for that Stick sound. There is a top end sparkle that typically gets removed with a cabinet.
But that top end can get to be too much too. In that case, some EQ and/or a low-pass filter can tame that top end to a comfortable level. Also, the use of some reverb and delays can soften it too.

At the end of the day, it's just what you like. I can spend hours testing different amp/cab sims in my Duo. But I tend to land on the same ones. My ears go for the same sound.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

When I was first putting my pedalboard together in 2017, I started out with two different Le Preamp pedals for the Stick: Le Bass + Le Clean. I also purchased a Torpedo CAB pedal, which basically crams the Wall of Sound software into a pedal and includes MIDI functionality.

The Le Preamp + Torpedo CAB is a really great-sounding setup, and I like that the Wall of Sound (and Torpedo CAB) have the different power amp simulations that are nice tweaks on the sound. (Though I think the tonality differences are more obvious on distorted sounds).

That gear combo sounded great, but I realized it was going to be costly because I was going to have to buy a pair of Torpedo CAB pedals for each side of the Stick, plus the rest of my effect pedals at the time. I eventually ended up going with a less-costly solution that was still fun.

Two Notes has some great-sounding impulse responses, including officially licensed ones of Mesa Boogie cabs. The ability to move the mic around in the virtual room can add some interesting reverb effects into the sound.

I would definitely consider making a Torpedo CAB rig at some point again in the future with more funds to blow on a high-end pedalboard!

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:36 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm not in love with their tech/repair support

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Two Notes just released the CAB M pedal. Half the size of the original CAB, XLR output, speaker through connection, and Bluetooth connectivity for control with an iOS app. Also runs on 9v power vs the older CAB, which needed 12v. The newest firmware has a dual mic option for their virtual cabs.

My biggest complaint is that they got rid of MIDI, so you won't be able to change patches on the fly. IMO that was a major part of the appeal of the original CAB. Maybe the GHost connector of a Disaster MIDI controller could work?

They also priced it much cheaper than the old model. Starting retail price of $300. Not bad considering all the extra features, but the lack of MIDI takes away some flexibility when using it in a full pedalboard-direct setup.

I'm interested how a pair of CAB pedals might sound with an SFX SP2 preamp ...

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:13 pm