It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

HELP! - Speaker hissing under all conditions 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post HELP! - Speaker hissing under all conditions
Hi guys,

I recently acquired a Phil Jones CUB II AG-150 BK amp in good condition. I had been looking for a two channel acoustic amp to us with my stick.

The amp has many features and all seem to work fine, the only problem is the continuous hissing, not humming. (hissing = hiiiiiiiiiissssss, humming = hummmmmmmm)

I tried it without any instruments plugged in, all knobs turned to 0, gains, volumes, master, everything and the hissing is still there.

Any ideas of what the problem could be and how to get rid of it?

Cheers,
Walter

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Sun May 19, 2019 5:29 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: HELP! - Speaker hissing under all conditions
I’d have said dodgy tweeter but spec sheet shows it doesn’t have one.

What does it do when something is plugged in? Is the FX loop or aux in switchable? Is either switched on when you’re testing this?

Have you tried it in a different room or even a different house? Sometimes amps can be picking up EMF noise depending on the circuit it’s on.

And how bad is it? It may be just a higher than desirable noise floor?

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Sun May 19, 2019 8:52 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

It is loud enough to be annoying, quite enough to be "unnoticeable" when you're playing.

I knew about this when I bought it. Therefore the deal, 100 bucks for it. I hissed at the guy's house and hisses at mine. I tried also different cables and also by removing the center pin (ground) from the power outlet.

Aux is not switchable, but volume is set to zero. FX loops can be switched from A , A+B and B, this doesn't have an effect. Line out XLR can be switch to Ground/Lift and also no effect. I will try connecting something on the effects loops and see if there is any change.

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Sun May 19, 2019 10:03 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have the same problem with an all tube amp by Electro Harmonics. I use two direct boxes, one for the bass, another for the melody. These are made by a company called Samson. There's a quarter inch input, and a three pin balance output, which plugs into the offending amp. You can buy these at Samsontech.com. There's a ground switch I use on each box.

Sun May 19, 2019 12:43 pm