It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 pm

The Taggart Interface 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post The Taggart Interface
For you guys who haven't seen one, or if you like close-ups, here is the Taggart Interface (that's what I think its called) that recently fell off a truck (Canada Post) here in frozen Ontario.
You most likely have seen Gene use one, as well as the Heartstrings duo. It was close by in Toronto, so I felt I had to have it,.... it being a part of equipment specifically made for this instrument.
It's pretty cool.....I am trying to get used to it,.......not sure if it will ever replace playing with the Stick in belt approach though. The headstock tends to move around a fair bit, like an upside down pendulum. I can't sway back and forth either, which has become an unstoppable habit for me.

I have to say it's awesome to stroll up in your knickers :oops: and blast it in the morning though. Also, the instrument always stays in the same spot, which is important I think..
cheers,
kev

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyfAefML7r4[/youtube]

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: The Taggart Interface
I put it this way once in a quote Emmett used in a Stick ad:

"The Stick liberates the keyboardist. It is worn and held. It becomes a part of your music-making body. you are not at your instrument, you are with it."

That sensation of being connected is such a powerful part of the sensation of playing for me, having the instrument on a stand just feels "weird". But, to each his own...

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Its weird, no doubt. I have never played an instrument in a stand before. There is a disconnect for sure.....
Had to own this gear though, just because..... :ugeek:

cheers,
kev

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Looks pretty cool but I'd be afraid to leave it set up unattended. Cap'n Sully (the cat) tends to knock over anything that gets in his way LoL

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:39 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Nicely build ! Looks professional. I also prefer to have the instrument on my body, but then again, there more people playing the stick on a stand. Some might simy have to, because of physical aspects, others probably the play better that way. I love all the diverisities that come with being part of the stickworld :-)

Cheers,
Bas

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:22 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Kev,

That would be really handy for a couple of things I do at church. Where/How did you buy one?

Thanks

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:41 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Karma.
When I bought my used Stick a few years ago, the guy I bought from had this device for sale as well. I didnt get it then because I dropped enough coin that day.....
Few years later he still had it, I shot him $100.....
I'm not sure where they come from, who makes them (some cat named taggart), or even if they are still made....
Gene Perry probably has more info on these things.....pm him perhaps......with a 3D printer, one could make these things from plastic.

Caveat......when you walk away from playing on the stand, be careful not fo get your foot caught and knock the whole apparatus over.....
I taped the legs of my cymbal stand with day-glo duct tape to make them more visible.

cheers,
kev

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Kev,

"The Taggart Interface:" sure sounds like a Star Trek Episode - "Spock! we..... must.... get
the Tag......g......art.... Inter.....fa....ce... to .... save the ship, Spock!"

Actually, it looks very well built especially if you want to safely trust your two and half grand instrument to it. tighten all adjustable screws! use a quality drum stand with rubber feet. most coffee houses have wooden floors, at least the ones that I have I played in. and if Matt Rogers and Geebro [Gene Perry] uses it, then so be it. Make it So.

I guess the guys who play Graphite are getting real warm and fuzzy and becoming "one with their instrument" when their lower back is becoming one with their chiropracticor 3x a week! :o

It looks like the stand freeing you up to just play could be fun. The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park.

that's it Kev- just have fun, but don't swear by it in a pinch. Crichton: Cross my heart, slap me dead, stick a lobster on my head

take care, and let's go home,
Dave Brosky

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Haha Dave....good one. I likened the name to a spy novel......

The disconnect thing is hard to get over, but I've had the thing a few days, we'll see how things pan out. I may relegate the stand to my graphite, cause right now it sits in its case longing to be played.

cheers,
kev

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Taggart interface is a handmade interface that is made exclusively by John Taggart (taggguitars.com). It is a wooden interface that fits onto the plastic belt strap of your strap and then sits snuggly atop a cymbal stand.

John is a luthier and professional guitar tech (currently with Fleetwood Mac) who worked closely with the cats from Heartstrings to create the template for the Taggart interface. They can be purchased directly through him.

While Kevin has accurately listed the benefits / limitations of the interface, here are a couple more that I have identified over time.

CONS
* If you use a pedalboard, you may not have a good time. Pedals or pedalboards will need to be placed around, under and to the side of the stand.
* Sway. There is a small amount of sway, I was able to adapt to this after about a day or two of playing.
* Not for clumsy people. If you kick things over with any frequency, you will need to be careful using the interface. In the the 4 years that I have had mine, I have not pitched the Stick once (and I am pretty clumsy).
* One more thing to carry. As is you didn't have enough
* Adapter for cymbal insert is less than perfect. Hard to explain but the insert for the cymbal stand doesn't hold the position of the stand as much as I might like it to. It simply means the occasional readjustment when you play

PROS
* The unit is light, well built and dependable. The interface is easy to use and very portable.
* You can walk up on your instrument without having to put on a belt, adjust it, pick up the instrument and then put on the shoulder strap.
* You can make adjustments to your rig, pedals, etc without being strapped into your instrument.
*Unplug. You are able to walk away from the instrument without having to first zero out a volume pedal, unplug a cable or take the instrument off and then set it down. Priceless.
* Easy on the back. If one has problems with posture or a bad back, this is a good option, just be mindful of your left hand position (30 degrees and elbow up)
* When the notion to play hits, you are on the instrument and playing in the same amount of time it takes to turn on your amp.

I respect those who like to have the instrument right up against them, it is pretty cool to feel the strings vibrate against you when playing. I believe that Emmett feels the same way - the inspiration has less distance to travel when the instrument is right up against you.

Ease of use, portability and convenience factors of the Taggart interface were the defining characteristics for me.

I have more time in my day to play music now that the instrument is so accessible. Multi-tasking with the Stick is easy, especially in live situations where I am simultaneously configuring live sound, working with other musicians or any other task that would require me to take off the instrument to complete.

So glad to see you were able to round one of these up Kev. I will be curious to see your comments over the next few weeks and months as you try it out.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery