It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

Alto Truesonic 2 series Powered Speakers ? 
Post Alto Truesonic 2 series Powered Speakers ?
In my quest for a budget powered speaker for my soon to arrive 10 string Railboard and to also use as a stage monitor for my Axe FX guitar rig I have been looking at low cost (< $350 ) powered speakers.

I have come across the Alto TS210 ($249) and TS212($299) as potential candidates. Feedback from Axe FX and other guitar modeler users are that they are a great "band for the buck" choice and that the 10" TS210 is best suited for guitar and the TS212 would be better for a bass rig.

So my questions to my new friends in the stick community is have any of you tried/used these speakers with your stick ? What are your opinions ?

Thanks in advance
Ken

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Alto Truesonic 2 series Powered Speakers ?
I haven't used any Alto speakers but I know their gear is very affordable.

I think it depends on what your plans are for your setup.
Are you going to gig with it?
Just for practice?

If you are using the Axe FX for all your effects AND amp/cab simulation then I suggest a PA speaker type thing. I typically play through my studio monitors but I realized at a gig that playing through a PA is totally different and so I got the Harbinger 10" power PA. (Sorry I can't remember the model) The Harbingers are Guitar Center's brand and is very affordable... especially when they were on sale and I used a coupon...
I use the PA speakers to tweak my sound so that all the nice sound I hear in the studio monitors are translating to the PA.

If this is your first stick and amp then a budget PA speaker like Alto is probably a good bet.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Dean,

Thanks for sharing you opinion. To answer your questions ...

Will I gig: Yes, in time and at first with my AxeFX using my 6 string guitars. Down the road I will use it for my Stick ( most likely with the AxeFX to shape the tone). Note gigs will be small venues and ~ 6-10 times a year.
Oh yeah I still have to learn how to play the stick ;)

For practice: Sometimes : Once I get my stick I will first try my Studio Monitors (Genelec 8030's with a Genelec Sub) . For practice/jamming outside of the home studio I would use the powered PA.

As you suggested, I have already decided to go the powered FRFR PA speaker route for my Axe FX, its just a matter of which one.

If I was already gigging a lot and could actually play the stick I would be ready to spend more money on maybe something like a Yamaha DXR or QSC K2 speaker. I was headed in this direction when I stumbled upon the Alto Brand and saw/listened to some online comparison and reviews. Also I could by 2 Altos for less then one Yamaha or QSC and have a full stereo rig !

So How well does your 10" Harbinger deal with the Bass strings of your NS Stick?

Thanks again
Ken

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

CurvedLight wrote:
In my quest for a budget powered speaker for my soon to arrive 10 string Railboard and to also use as a stage monitor for my Axe FX guitar rig I have been looking at low cost (< $350 ) powered speakers.

I have come across the Alto TS210 ($249) and TS212($299) as potential candidates. Feedback from Axe FX and other guitar modeler users are that they are a great "band for the buck" choice and that the 10" TS210 is best suited for guitar and the TS212 would be better for a bass rig.

So my questions to my new friends in the stick community is have any of you tried/used these speakers with your stick ? What are your opinions ?

Thanks in advance
Ken

I own a pair of both Gemini Gemini HPS-12 and EV ELX112p. The EVs are about over twice the price, and while they do sound better, I have had issues with both of them. The Gemini speakers have had ZERO issues, and sound pretty good.

If you're a sound snob, and have the money, get the QSC speakers, can't recommend the EVs because of reliability issues) but the latest digital powered speakers will get you 90% of the sound for 30% of the money.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

In fact, musicians friend has the 15" gemini on sale today $149. I'd snag it now TBH

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/gemini-hps-15p-15-d-class-powered-speaker/j30686000000000?pfm=item_page.rr1|ClickCP

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The PA speaker that I have had the best luck with is the QSC K12. Emmett tests with these, so you are hearing the same thing that inventor of the instrument is hearing when the instrument is setup.

The K12 is solid. A bit heavy and the design of the handle on the side is a bit perplexing as the handle, well the handle side faces the ground. It's not a big deal, but it does make one wonder why, why they put it on that side. Also, It's more expensive, but you really do get what you pay for.

Also, I would NOT recommend the EV ELX112p (as Godsmonkey has pointed already). I compared these - amp to amp, and found the K12's to be superior in every way. EV is a respectable company, but these powered speakers are not ideal for the Chapman Stick.

Speaking of amp vs. amp, that reminds me of what may be one of my favorite movie scenes ever. If you have not seen Scott Pilgrim vs. the world, I would highly recommend it.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Speaking of amp vs. amp, that reminds me of what may be one of my favorite movie scenes ever. If you have not seen Scott Pilgrim vs. the world, I would highly recommend it.

Have never seen that clip. Got a kick out of it - No synth is a match for an old ricky bass - especially with a FUZZ box through trusty PEAVEY amps :lol:

Will have to check out the movie some time......

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

What Gene said. I had 2 K12's for my rig and they ROCK!

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi Ken,

I have a setup with Line6 Helix and those Alto's TS210 (a pair).
I use this setup for Stick, bass and double bass.
I'm totally happy with them.
I don't feel special limitation about the 10" speakers to manage bass side, but have to admit I'm not playing to very high levels usually, neither play dubstep music :D.

As Gene mentioned, I'm sure QSC must be far superior, but far more expensive too. All is about finding right compromises :), and with this I got what I wanted:
- A quite light system to carry
- Solid enough not to be too worry!
- More than descent sound quality

Gautier

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:35 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

tiega wrote:
Hi Ken,

I have a setup with Line6 Helix and those Alto's TS210 (a pair).
I use this setup for Stick, bass and double bass.
I'm totally happy with them.
I don't feel special limitation about the 10" speakers to manage bass side, but have to admit I'm not playing to very high levels usually, neither play dubstep music :D.

As Gene mentioned, I'm sure QSC must be far superior, but far more expensive too. All is about finding right compromises :), and with this I got what I wanted:
- A quite light system to carry
- Solid enough not to be too worry!
- More than descent sound quality

Gautier

It's like comparing Sirloin to Wagu... sure the wagu is amazing tasting, but that sirloin is damn tasty as well.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery