It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

Digital tuners revisited 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Digital tuners revisited
Hey all,
I did a search on this subject but didn't really find the answers I was looking for. To wit:

Do you use a digital tuner?
If so, what brand and/or model?
Do they work well for the Chapman Stick?
Where do you attach it, and do you leave it on while playing?

I was shopping for one and want to make sure they work as expected, for us.

The Snark (several different models?) is pretty popular but I also cam across the KLIQ UberTuner (both on Amazon) and although more expensive, seems to receive rave reviews.

Thoughts?

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:21 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Digital tuners revisited
I use a polytune 2 by TC Electronics. It has a bypass so you can leave it on. LEDS are bright. I flip my mono switch on to use the tuner Works fine for me. I didnt want a clip on tuner and since I have a pedal baord incorporated the tuner into my board

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:19 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Rob,
Thanks for that info. My bandmate just texted me (lead electric guitar) and said that he, the rhythm guitarist and the bass player in our band all use the Polytune 3 (I assume this is just a newer model of the polytune2?) in the band setting. He said the strobe tuners are better than the digital tuners, and a wired pedal is better than the clip ones.

I'm happy to hear you are using the Polytune effectively. What is the necessity for flipping the mono switch? I'm wondering how this works since we have the "Y" double output from the Chapman Stick....... is that why you use the mono switch? This could be an issue for me since I am using the Roland VG-99 which uses the chord from the guitar processor to the GK3 attached to the Stick, so I don't know how this would all hook together..?

Thanks!

Last edited by RandO on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:35 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

On my pedal board I have a Korg DT-10 which is a stomp box tuner and is dead accurate and not the least bit squirrely. They're discontinued now but are easily found used for under $50. It only has one input however so I use a small A/B switch box next to it for the 2 sides of the Stick. I also have a Snark clip-on which I just leave on the tip of my headstock and it works well enough to use most of the time if you keep a fresh battery in there. It will also work when attached to the pickup housing and is easier to monitor there. If I was in the market for a new clip-on tuner for Stick I'd want to try a Peterson SC-1 StroboClip. In my experience Peterson stuff really is the last word in tuner accuracy and are dead nuts down to a tenth of a cent. I use a big 10 year old Peterson tuner on my pedal steel and on that one you can program your personal copedant temperament scheme and hysteresis offset compensation (it's a pedal steel thing) and just save it as one preset among many. I'm aware of no other tuner that can do that.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:40 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Mike,
My lead guitarist also mentioned Peterson being one of the most respected and accurate tuners.

I was thinking that getting a tuner that requires wiring in thru the chain will be a problem because of the Roland VG99 processor I use. The GK3 module receives one wire from the VG99, so I don't think I would really be able to easily run a wired tuner.

I suppose I could run a wire easily enough from the Stick and use an A B switch as you mentioned on a temporary basis to tune, but that defeats the purpose of having some way to tune quickly and easily.

Perhaps the clip on would be the easiest solution? It might not be quite as accurate as the stomp box type, but for my application it seems it might be the better choice.

Thanks guys, I still have to give this some thought.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:47 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Yeah you're right. A clip-on is the path of least resistance. I have yet to find one that is stable and precise enough to do in depth bridge intonation and the like. For those things and for my pedal steel which has a non standard temperament I need the real deal. I only put that Korg on my pedal board because I already had it and even then it was a hassle to wire up and it does take up some real estate with the A/B box and all. But just for tuning up to play and getting 99% there in seconds I'll take a clip-on. Like mandolin, Stick is an easy tune-up anyhow as long as the bridge is right and the strings ain't dead because its all 5ths and 4ths and you just take out all the beats and let the 3rds, 6ths, 7ths and 9ths fall where they may. You can't do that on a pedal steel. One problem with clip-ons on a Stick is that the physics of the long bodyless neck plus the relatively weak resonance that just tapping to excite the string produces doesn't really set off the piezo pickup very well on most clip-ons. The Snark is better than most in that regard. Maybe if it gripped the headstock harder (a stronger spring?) One of these days I'm gonna try a top of the line Peterson clip-on. I bet it's real good.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:54 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I believe the VG99 has a tuner built in. So that would take care of half of the tuning... unless you have a VG99 for each side of your stick.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Mike, exactly my thoughts... path of least resistance lol. Or as they say, K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple, Stupid!" I am going to compare the Peterson with the KLIQ PolyTuner I saw on Amazon, using it for the bass side only. Why? See next paragraph :D

Dean, Yes! I was reminded of that fact (the built in tuner on the VG-99) by Steve A. in a separate email I sent to him. Steve's the master of the VG-99, and i suddenly realized I should just chat with him! He mentioned the built in tuner which I had forgotten about... D'uh! He uses it to tune the melody side, then he tunes the bass side by ear, via unison or octave notes to the tuned melody side. I don't trust my tin ear so I think I will order up one of the mentioned tuners above, and use it to confirm proper tuning on the bass side after doing it by ear, comparing the melody side strings tuned with the VG-99.

Thanks for the input gents, much appreciated!

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:55 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Snark SN-8
Polytune clip

Polytune 2 pedal

All great for the stick

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:21 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks Boaz, good info.
I opted to order the KLIQ Polytuner, I like the big screen, adn it seems to have good info in a clear manner to my eye. I'll let you know how I like it. The other members in my band use the Polytune 3, so I will compare the KLIQ with those when we get together next.....

Thanks all!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:48 pm