It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

iOS Based Rigs? 

Post iOS Based Rigs?
I have been slimming down my rig lately, since I'm playing out less (none) any more.

I tried a mainstage rig for a bit a year or so ago, but bailed on it after it really let me down live.

I have a SonicPort and BiasFX on my iPad, which I used for noodling around and a possible live rig, but the slim selection of foot controllers available made me shelve that. BUT, I'm reconsidering that for the main part of my rig. I'm keeping the EHX Key9 and B9 pedals, and the 720 Looper, and thinking about running a chain like:

Instrument > B9>Key9>SonicPort/Bias>Looper>Amp (Roland JC77). I also have a sleeper of a Drive 10" Bass amp that I could run stereo into, but thats another day...

Didnt know if anyone else was using an iOS rig.

What are you using? how is it working out? Any suggestions?

//ad

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:02 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: iOS Based Rigs?
I have an iPad Pro 12.9” screen model set up with an Apogee Duet 2 that works beautifully!
I just run Garageband on the iPad Pro, plug the left and right channels from my Stick / effects chain into the Apogee Duet’s inputs (with the Apogee Lightning cable connected from the iPad to the Apogee Duet), and then I run the Duet’s outputs to various amplifiers (usually a simple Roland stereo practice amplifier). I realize that I cannot get everything that comes with having a Mac-based rig, but this setup works flawlessly for quickly setting things up. The only real downside is that Boss provides no MIDI drivers in iOS for my Boss MIDI guitar setup.

I think an iPhone 6 (and newer) or the iPad 2017 model and better (iPad Pro especially) will work well. Purchase an Apogee Duet 2 and you all set.

Chris

adam193 wrote:
I have been slimming down my rig lately, since I'm playing out less (none) any more.

I tried a mainstage rig for a bit a year or so ago, but bailed on it after it really let me down live.

I have a SonicPort and BiasFX on my iPad, which I used for noodling around and a possible live rig, but the slim selection of foot controllers available made me shelve that. BUT, I'm reconsidering that for the main part of my rig. I'm keeping the EHX Key9 and B9 pedals, and the 720 Looper, and thinking about running a chain like:

Instrument > B9>Key9>SonicPort/Bias>Looper>Amp (Roland JC77). I also have a sleeper of a Drive 10" Bass amp that I could run stereo into, but thats another day...

Didnt know if anyone else was using an iOS rig.

What are you using? how is it working out? Any suggestions?

//ad

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:43 pm

iOS Garage Band allows you to route both input to different channels?

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:55 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

adam193 wrote:

Yep. It's basic, but if you have a multiple input interface (like the duet) it will work.

Personally, I have seen way too much stuff get broken on stage so I just said screw it and bought 2 boss GT 100's and midi'd 'em up. From there, I am plugged into a Roland JC120, or two Roland JC120's or direct to PA/interface. The GT100's are built like tanks, and although I don't love Boss cosm tone with guitar, I am very happy with it on the Stick.
Every tone I could need, every effect, plus loopers, volume, pitch and wah, and on both sides of the Stick.I am quite happy with it. Hahaha now it's just up to me to learn to play the Stick!

Now for an "on the road" type practice setup for me, an iPad and a duet is perfect...

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:32 am
Contributor
Contributor

adam193 wrote:

Mainly echoing Jayesskerr (hey dude!) here, but:

But, yes, that's correct - you can route the two inputs to different channels. I'm not sure how many sampling audio channels you can create in Garageband for iOS, but one "limitation" is that the sampling is at 16-bit integer resolution, versus a 32-bit floating point resolution when using Mac inputs. (The Duet works with the Mac, as well, using USB, by the way).

There is a good amount of verbage here on this:
https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... tials.html

I carry the iPad with me to jams with a drummer, guitarist, and a keyboard player, and I am always to first guy to be set up and ready to go! For MIDI, I'm a little more like Jayesskerr, I just use a Boss GP-10 (a very concise box) and I am still planning on moving to an SY-300 before I get my next Stick (likely a 12 string Grand with a Stickup!). Just not a fan of the amped up piano, organ, Muzak MIDI-sourced sounds.....

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:17 pm

Is the Duet twice as great as the IK iRig Pro Duo?

I'm using the sonic port right now...

I'm also pretty much just a bedroom player. Who knows about playing out, but its been a long time....

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:02 am
Contributor
Contributor

I have never used the iRig Pro Duo but its specifications mention only USB power or 2xAA batteries. In my experience, that is not a good power solution for an iOS-based rig, even though it is fine for Mac. iOS devices can power USB devices, but it is not reliable. The Apogee Duet has an external DC power supply and so the Duet is powered, while the iPad or iPhone is charged/powered. Works great.

adam193 wrote:
Is the Duet twice as great as the IK iRig Pro Duo?

I'm using the sonic port right now...

I'm also pretty much just a bedroom player. Who knows about playing out, but its been a long time....

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:29 pm

The irig duo can be powered by a DC adapter.

Ive also looked at the focusrite scarlet 2i2, anyone have any experience with that?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:10 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

adam193 wrote:
The irig duo can be powered by a DC adapter.

Ive also looked at the focusrite scarlet 2i2, anyone have any experience with that?
I've used the Focusrite line of interfaces for several years now. They're top notch for the dollar. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 us literally sitting in my cart at Sweetwater, perhaps to be my next interface for just running direct into an amp, instead of using a computer. I also use an IRIG and the IRIG duo with some Iphone apps like Amplitube. I have the Saffire Pro 24 right now, but it's Firewire, and I'd like to go to USB. I might end up getting the Scarlett 2i2 after all.

Adds: I went ahead and got the Scarlett 2i2 after all. I also needed a bass drum pedal and it was in the cart. But so was a Linnstrument, but at $1500, that was a bit rich for me at the moment, Maybe later.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Im interested to know how it works for you, please -- let enquiring minds know :)

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:23 am