It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

k Mix or no K mix? Thats the question. 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post k Mix or no K mix? Thats the question.
Hi all. Im not the most tech savvy guy around so Im hoping to get some input from you all. Im considering buying a Kmix. It looks pretty cool. Anyone have one? Thoughts? I wanted something I could use for my stick and for routing a bunch of effects out. Also something I could use with trumpet and maybe keys.It has midi so I can control the faders with my Soft step.
I loved the sound of the Stepabout with its eQ settings. Looks like the Kmix has similar eqs but I dont know.

I guess Im just fishing for thoughts from all and any other suggestions you might have about mixers.

Rob

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:03 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: k Mix or no K mix? Thats the question.
I think any of Keith McMillan's gear is going to be good. My Stick rig is 2 QSC K-12's, and the Touch Mix.... The Touch mix is a fine mixer... I think Olivier , a great Stick and vocalist uses one if I'm not mistaken.... Great Mic pre's. effects and ease of use.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:26 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

"I think any of Keith McMillan's gear is going to be good. My Stick rig is 2 QSC K-12's, and the Touch Mix.... The Touch mix is a fine mixer... I think Olivier , a great Stick and vocalist uses one if I'm not mistaken.... Great Mic pre's. effects and ease of use."

Thanks for the response.i wanted to ask people who used the qsc amps if I should get the 10 or 12 or one of each. . I rented the k10 and brought it to interlochen. Very clean sound. I was quite pleased. Just debating what size would be best. And if I could get away with one for now . I'm looking at getting a bunch of stuff in the near future and just want to make good choices.

Website robgellner.com

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:34 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

As you saw ... I use one K12. Sometimes I think the smaller speakers might have a somewhat better sound but I've really never run into a scenario where, power-wise, I felt I needed more than just the one speaker. Sure if you want to play with some cool stereo effects then having two would be fun. You just have to remember when you start to gig that you have to pack your rig and travel with it. At that point easy to carry becomes more and more of a deciding factor.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Keith McMillan stuff but have never played with any of it myself. I keep wanting to try out the SoftStep to see if I can replace my MIDI foot controller with it.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

"I've heard nothing but good things about the Keith McMillan stuff but have never played with any of it myself. I keep wanting to try out the SoftStep to see if I can replace my MIDI foot controller with it."

Glenn I use my soft step 2 all the time to control my big sky and my time line. I hate bending over while I'm playing. I'm wanting a mixer that I can control with the softstep as well. Not sure if there are lots of midi capable mixers out there. If my hands are free I can adjust using my hands .

Website robgellner.com

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:42 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hi Rob. I wish I would have been thinking about this a couple of weeks ago when I could have picked your brain in person ;)

My concern is that I might not have enough buttons. Right now I use a Rocktron All Access to control everything including my Echoplex looper. I use the bank up and down buttons to go through patches one at a time. There are 15 buttons for sending CC messages of which I might be able to get by with 10. Then the two expression pedals.

I've always called the Rocktron the "Cadillac" of foot controllers. The one thing I don't like about it though is that it weighs somewhere around 12 pounds.

I suppose a download and perusal of the SoftStep manual is in order.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery