It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 String Alternatives 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: String Alternatives
waltschwarzkopf wrote:
mahabresq wrote:
In EU you can order custom sets from D’Orazio Strings. Simon Fitzpatrick uses them.

Could you share more details about this? I want to order a new set from SE, but the strings cost 47$ (which is ok for me) but the shipping is 23$-63$ which is huge. I went to D’Orazio and couldn’t find stick strings. Do I just weite to them and I say “I need a set of light strings in deep baritone melody for a 34” 10-string stick”? Or do I have to give the the exact string gauge and say if it’s plain or wound? If it’s the latter, where do I get this information? I’ve been looking for this and haven’t found anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any further information. I never ordered strings from D’Orazio. As a producer, they probably will do any string lenght with any thickness, but you need to know what you want. Write to them.

10-String 5↓4↑ Internally C Matched Padouk Stick #351 with XXL GK & Stickup
12-String 5↓4↑ Internally C Matched XG Grand Stick #5428 with dual GK & Custom Pickups
10-String 5↓4↑ Internally A Matched Tarara Alto Stick #5689 with GK & Stickup

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Gerald wrote:
Hi
An Alternative for those living in the EU:
Curt Mangan Strings for a 10-string (I think they are MR)
They are sold via Audio-boutique.com
https://www.audio-boutique.com/category ... -stick-83/
I have them on my Railboard and they work fine
Gerald

This is great! I got in touch with them to order a new set. I see they only have one set (medium gauge) on their website, but apparently they can put one together. Do you (or does anyone) know the string gauge for light gauge strings in deep baritone melody? My truss-less stick can only take light gauge and I don’t want to risk bending or damaging it by using heavier strings. Or the string gauge for 12-string matched reciprocal? In my 10-string I would use strings 2 to 11. Which is what I love about this tuning, plus the lower notes on the melody side compared to Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:51 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

mahabresq wrote:
I don't have any further information. I never ordered strings from D’Orazio. As a producer, they probably will do any string lenght with any thickness, but you need to know what you want. Write to them.

Could you tell me the string gauges of your 10-string DBM and 12-string MR sticks?

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:14 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

waltschwarzkopf wrote:
mahabresq wrote:

Could you tell me the string gauges of your 10-string DBM and 12-string MR sticks?

Thicknesses of my MR strings are:

Melody: 09, 11, 13, 20, 28, 38
Bass: 118, 76, 48, 26,14, 10

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Very interesting thread here… and very interesting comments regarding being blacklisted from S.E.
I say this, because – surprise – It seems that can’t buy strings from S.E. either, and before you ask - yes... I used the on-line accessory store.
I ordered a bunch of things – including three sets of light 10 string classic, and surprise – I got refunded – and instead of three sets of strings, I got maybe – I don’t know what I got – I got like 6 or 7 or maybe even 8 tiny melody strings and perhaps 2 bass strings.
I was besides myself to say the least....
Eventually I got an email which said they are currently low on strings so only one set for me, which would have been alright if it were one full set….
I mean, I suppose it’s a full set for something, I just don’t think it’s for my Ironwood because of what’s there.
I get it.
I did not purchase my Stick from S.E.
I got my Ironwood off Reverb recently, and all I wanted to do was order a new proper set to put on right away, have a spare set in the case, and have a reserve set should I have to start using the spare set, and then repeat the process or ordering strings… as I knew there was a limit of 3 sets of strings per order.
But that’s not going to happen…
Because I have fallen from grace………………..
So, I have an Ironwood – a beautiful instrument – which now for the time being I can’t use, because I can’t get strings.
Fine – again, I get it………. I committed a grave sin.
I’ll put the so called strings set into the case later tonight, and that will be that.
Good thing I like collecting in addition to playing, as it is an astonishingly beautiful instrument…and one I am proud to have as part of my collection.
That being said, I thank G-d that I have other instruments to use [*which I can easily get strings for…] and indeed plan on using too.
Again, I’m glad I stumbled across this thread – because it provided the answers to some concerns and feelings of suspicion which I was starting to sense.
It’s all good : )

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed May 29, 2019 9:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big George.
It is possible that this was a mistake or an oversight by SE. Maybe you should call them, and try to resolve the issue. I'm sure they will tell you what string sets are available. I cannot imagine that Stick Enterprises would not sell to you because you bought a used stick.
Are you saying that is the case?

Thu May 30, 2019 6:58 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

All I am going to say is - I've had some suspicions about a few things [unreleated...] for a while, then I came across this thread, and read what Randy had to say, and it was like a revelation occurred.
Read what Randy has/had to say....
Like I said, it's all good.
Sticks are very special instruments.
Perhaps I am indeed not worthy :(

Thu May 30, 2019 7:25 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

As human beings, we're pretty good at finding the negative if we're looking for it. You should give SE a call, rather than jumping to the negative conclusion.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Thu May 30, 2019 7:35 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Gusset wrote:
As human beings, we're pretty good at finding the negative if we're looking for it. You should give SE a call, rather than jumping to the negative conclusion.
Agreed,. Act professionally, and politely,. You get more bees with nectar than vinegar. Exhaust all avenues before airing your grievances. I also have customers I will not service, due to their disposition. Patience and understanding are good traits.

In the world of I want it now, and the internet, some things require more graceful, and timely actions. All good things come to those who wait.

Thu May 30, 2019 7:57 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Listen, please... with all due respect... I'm not making this up, and I also understand how fate works.

I am done with this, it is over.

You both have not read this entire thread, because if you did - you would realize that Randy is not making this stuff up, and neither is the other guy...

It happens, and like I said it's alright, I knew this when I went into the notion of buying a Stick... that's there's certain rules, and that it's very easy to bet banned from the kingdom.

This by the way is not the only thread where this issue has been raised.

Believe me, I did my homework on this.
I also felt that I would be one of the people who might be blessed.

Apparently not.

[*and I know why too...]

Also, I'm done here - as there's nothing here on Sticklist for me since I'm not a Stick player.

Like I've said, it's all good - and if I may add, life it too short to dwell on these kinds of things.

*If you want to track me down, Tappistry would be a good place to start.

Thu May 30, 2019 9:29 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next