It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

EHX Platform Stereo Compressor 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: EHX Platform Stereo Compressor
Yep I'm getting one of those pedals as soon as they come out in a week or so. I think it would be great on the melody side and make it a bit easier to be articulate with pull offs and hammer ons. What sells me is the overdrive and cello thing built in to the midst of the compressor and the control detail of the comp. If it turns out to offer more than that stereo-wise well great.

Quote:
As someone that believes in learning the fretboard and knowing where all the notes are, I can't imagine what a pedal steel player is thinking. It must be like learning a different fretboard (or tuning) for each pedal and pedal combination. Amazing.

I've played pro pedal steel for almost 40 years and I can tell you how I look at it. I view it as layers of different but related tunings stacked up on each other about 3 deep on the E9 tuning (outside neck). Those layer/tunings are E9, A6 and C#maj. The pedals are like rabbit holes connecting the layers at certain overlapping positions along with some small incidental changes in chord extensions and chromatic scale degrees among those layers with some of the knee levers. On the inside neck (C6 tuning) like the first video of Tommy White it's less scale based than the E9 tuning is, less chromatic, more diatonic and more chord based and potentially more jazzy sounding. The pedals on that neck and there are more of them, do completely different things than the pedals on the other neck and are somewhat more subtle giving many more & much deeper chord substitutions and there's more bar movement to get scales and runs. Two completely different instruments E9 and C6. You could spend your life mastering E9 and not be able to play Happy Birthday on C6. Most pros do play both but are usually somewhat stronger on one or the other. These days I play a keyless single neck 12 string E9/B6 with all the changes off a double 10. It has 8 pedals and 9 knee levers and many more layers and rabbit holes.

Now if you were going to give non-pedal steel a real shot you need at least 8 strings because besides triads you need some chord extensions. You'll be able to use the chord extension strings as roots of other chords so it turns out an 8 string 6th or 13th tuning offers the most bang for the buck with no pedals. You'll have to master extremely in-tune bar slanting like Paul Franklin was doing on the E9 neck in that second video if you want anything resembling pedal moves. More partial and implied chords here and there like a solo jazz guitar player does. Here I play an 8 string A13 w/a 7th on the bottom string which I use as a root string when I want 7b5s,7#9s and such. Straight steel on 3 legs, Rickenbacker replica pickup - no pedals except a volume pedal. Sounds like this:

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:21 pm