It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:36 am

Loud Box Performer/2 Solo amps!!! Christmas came late!!! 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Loud Box Performer/2 Solo amps!!! Christmas came late!!!
Wanted to say that I just picked up this gear and it sounds amazing... Got rid of my big, heavy bass rigs... The sound and separation is breath taking. Yes, I have GAS, hopefully, this will calm me down for a while.
:D

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:29 am
Post Re: Loud Box Performer/2 Solo amps!!! Christmas came late!!!
rclere wrote:
Wanted to say that I just picked up this gear and it sounds amazing... Got rid of my big, heavy bass rigs... The sound and separation is breath taking. Yes, I have GAS, hopefully, this will calm me down for a while.
:D

Good fun. :)

Now how does those things work? Did you get two Solo amps AND a Loudbox Performer? Do you use them at the same time or? I´ve seen a Solo amp here in Sweden and to my knollage it´s a fullrange amp/speaker system. I´ve not tried one out yet but I´m VERY interested in doing so.

Do you use one Solo amp for the bass strings and the other one for the melody side on bigger stages and the Loudbox Performer as a smaller setup on smaller gigs or? Would be grand to get some further info. I´m really interested in those babies. Everyone keeps telling me grand things about the Fishman gear together with the Stick......

Thanks. Good fun. :)

Sincerely//Jan

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jan,
greetings... I have not played out with them yet, however, I plan to use the Loud Box for the bass end, and run melody through one Solo and the vg-99, Gr-33 and Roland HP-15 through the other... That is my plan, anyway... how are things in Sweden? I love Stockholm, I was there briefly visiting when I was living in Iceland in the 70's. :ugeek:

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:54 pm
rclere wrote:
Jan,
greetings... I have not played out with them yet, however, I plan to use the Loud Box for the bass end, and run melody through one Solo and the vg-99, Gr-33 and Roland HP-15 through the other... That is my plan, anyway... how are things in Sweden? I love Stockholm, I was there briefly visiting when I was living in Iceland in the 70's. :ugeek:

Thank you for the reply. Yes I´ve heard that a SoloAmp can be alittle weak on the bass side. Would be great if it would be possible to use a small, lightweight, sub speaker along with the SoloAmp. I have to try one of those things out. Heard great things about it.

Sweden/Stockholm is great indeed but everything is kind of grey during this time of the year. Winters are not white here these days..... :cry: But Stockholm is beautiful with all the water within the city. Good fun that you´ve been here. Where do you live now? Iceland must have been interesting. I´ve never been there but would love to go. I´ve worked with several artists from Iceland. Very friendly. Good fun. :)

Sincerely//Jan

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:21 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

The SoloAmp actually has surprised me the two times I needed it to fill a room. Both places had wood floors, and I actually had to turn DOWN the bass on the SoloAmp to keep my overall tone balanced last time. I was thinking I'd need the Acoustic Image Coda to provide more low end in cases like this but it's not been necessary.

Granted, my bass side only goes down to low E (rather than C), and the SoloAmp wouldn't work too well as a dedicated bass amp, but the amount of low end that these 4" drivers put out is impressive. It's very balanced tone from low to high, perfect for solo playing.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
robmartino wrote:
The SoloAmp actually has surprised me the two times I needed it to fill a room. Both places had wood floors, and I actually had to turn DOWN the bass on the SoloAmp to keep my overall tone balanced last time. I was thinking I'd need the Acoustic Image Coda to provide more low end in cases like this but it's not been necessary.

Granted, my bass side only goes down to low E (rather than C), and the SoloAmp wouldn't work too well as a dedicated bass amp, but the amount of low end that these 4" drivers put out is impressive. It's very balanced tone from low to high, perfect for solo playing.

Great thing. Thanks. Do you use one or two SoloAmp´s? They are two-channel amps to my knollage, eh? If I understand things right, you can connect two SoloAmp´s and you´ll have a stereo system? Is that so or have I missunderstood things?

I have to try one (or two) out...... :)

//J

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:35 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I just use one SoloAmp. I suppose you could run a stereo effects rig into two of them but for the extra expense and gear carrying, and the smaller places I tend to play, the benefits of stereo would be minimal. The line array design provides a wide sound field, so even though it is mono it has a nice clear room filling sound.

You can also have stereo line input in addition to the front panel instrument inputs, so there is opportunity for mixing in other sources - the one time I used my two Boss floorboard effects with this, I ran an insert cable from the units to the stereo line input and it worked well.

Most of the time I'm just running the Stick straight to the SoloAmp (yes it is two channels), and using the separate EQ and reverb levels for each side.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

(Forgive my long post) :(

Gentlemen, This Solo Amp setup is not to be taken lightly :shock: I have been using one for about a month and a half but didn't want to say anything until I had tried it with lots of different effects and set-ups. What i really thought I wanted was a Bose but the cost and the size led me to the Fishman...
I don't remember who the "person" was I think he was forgettable anyway, but he came on the forum and said "He" was the original designer of the Solo Amp and that Fishman
stole his ideas and then did a hack job to boot. I don't know if there is any truth at all in this
and frankly doubt the story but the Solo Amp, because of it's versatility, portability and most important sound IMHO is ideal for a solo Stick player or multi-instrumentalist. It is indeed a high quality piece of gear and originally like Rob i wanted it to be a "Zen" set up. Just me, the instrument and the amp. Depending on your needs or personality this configuration could be the perfect thing. But the more effects I use the better it sounds. HELP! :twisted:
I have used it to play my yoga class "gig" if you could call it that (hey, I get paid :) ), I bring this up though because the room is essentially a large gymnasium. It has twenty foot ceilings, wood floors and is approximately 100'X 50'. So not only huge but an acoustic nightmare. I get glowing praise every time I play for the "amazing sound" and for me personally it's beyond fun because the Solo Amp is so warm and rich in timbre.

Drawbacks? When i turn it up really loud it seems a bit noisy as far as just electronic white noise sound but I never need it to be that loud. There also seems to be a mid frequency issue with the Stick and some patches from my effects but I don't think it is the amp as much as just a tweaking need.
The amp itself has a tripod stand which still has a big footprint and I sometimes use it without
the stand but it is not stable at all just sitting on it's own. It could easily get knocked over.
I have tried setting it on it's side too but finally just surrenderd to useing the tripod because the sound dispersal seems better; thats the way it was designed , to be elevated.

Bass? It's really great, plenty of bass. But if you are a "bass player" this is not the thing for you. I think thats obvious though. This is more in the "home theater' sound range
than the rock band zone. I am into Stick, acoustic guitar, synthesizer and sound effect
aiming my performance to realitivley small spaces the yoga studio aside
and this amp handles this with ease. The real question is...

One amp or two?; :oops:
It seems unnecessary at this stage of the game for me; one is enough but having two
using the SA's as PA's ;) like rclere, is a tempting GAS horizon.
^j^
. ~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:18 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

yes, I have been a bass player for well over 30 years... I am used to feeling and moving "air". However, as of late, I have decided to dedicate myself to Stick only... And in doing so, besides the fun and excitement of "new" gear (G.A.S.) I wanted a rig small and lite to travel. The Fishman products are OUTSTANDING in this regard. Incorporating Synth and HP-15 into the mix, I guess I am going for the "complete rhythm Section in a Box!!!" Just add water... :lol: Really though, I am finding that this rig, although different from my BIG Bad BASS rigs of the past, more than fulfills my needs to go where I am seeking to go sonically. I again just want to say how humbled I am and how grateful I am to the Stick community at large... What a great bunch of "Cats" who support and give advise so freely. :ugeek: Blessings!!

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:06 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have been looking at the Loudbox performer for a while. The Soloamp is a little out of my range. My only wonder is.....does anyone have any experience using some effects on them (melody side)? Namely distortion?

Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:34 pm