It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

Tone freaks unite - practice setup Bass Tone 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Tone freaks unite - practice setup Bass Tone
Ok so I'm going to drop the "B" word here.. "Behringer Bass BDI 21",
ordered one with free shipping for 29.99 on Amazon prime.

I know the bad stories I've heard about "Behringer" gear but for my Home use and limited gigs, I've had no issues. Anyway, my "practice only setup" was really lacking with bass tone, so I just wanted something to make the bass side of my tapper to sound like it was going thru a bass amp as opposed to straight plugged in sound to my Fender Acoustasonic amp.

Wow what a difference! Even just using an xlr cable from the output to the amps second channel (mic xlr/trs combo input) made a huge difference, then blending in the preamp sound took out that "thin" sound now it sounds like have a 15" speaker instead of the "8 in the amp. I can't put the volume too loud cause its NOT a bass amp, but more than enough volume for indoor and patio practice. I will make no claims or endorsements for this gear other than for me it removed that tone freak hunger for my practice sessions when I'm not in my studio setup! I like it!

I'll try and do a comparison Instagram when I get a few minutes.

Mon May 01, 2017 12:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Tone freaks unite - practice setup Bass Tone
Hi,

I have to admit I'm on the defense side concerning Behringer.
I have now a few of their gears, and despite all what is said I never went into anymore issues than gears from other brands.
In reality, only one power supply of one gear (ADA8000) died. All other Behringer stuff I have is in perfect working order.
And I have to say, that some of them are really great tools.
This includes a Bass V-amp pro and a V-amp pro which I use for Stick (as well as bass and guitar).
These racks are nothing more than great.

Long life to Behringer!

Gautier

Envoyé de mon MHA-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Mon May 01, 2017 10:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Interesting to read Pete.
I remember the good old days when Behringher appeared and of course we all sat round studios caning it as cheap chinese built stuff with thin sound. But its prevailed and they have made some good stuff for a long while and hit a price point people cant ignore, not everyone can have an SSL console in the lounge, or needs one. I've had a few items myself over the years, good to see your answer to the bass issue with that pedal and at that price you cant go wrong.
Still I couldn't help but notice my favorite brand from New York in the centre! Have Fun :D

Mon May 01, 2017 11:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

piratebruce wrote:
Interesting to read Pete.
I remember the good old days when Behringher appeared and of course we all sat round studios caning it as cheap chinese built stuff with thin sound. But its prevailed and they have made some good stuff for a long while and hit a price point people cant ignore, not everyone can have an SSL console in the lounge, or needs one. I've had a few items myself over the years, good to see your answer to the bass issue with that pedal and at that price you cant go wrong.
Still I couldn't help but notice my favorite brand from New York in the centre! Have Fun :D

I love Electro Harmonix, I'll always have a spot for them. My first pedal was a small stone phaser back in the day! Nothing quite as rich as those but man back in the day they broke a lot! I think I had it repaired about 3 times and I wasn't even a touring musician. They've come a long way too!

Tue May 02, 2017 5:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Glad it's working out for you Pete! Me personally, I am a little skeptical of Behringer products... But a soldering iron and a schematic/wiring diagram usually makes everything ok.

note; Behringer bought TC Electronics and Tannoy... And I also have a G-System in my guitar rig! lol So I guess I "sorta" like Behringer? lol I like it with caution hahaha

(I LOVE EHX stuff!)

Tue May 02, 2017 7:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Behringher bought TC & Tannoy , oh , thats changed my view a bit , :? Still , China are slowly buying Australia..

Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Glad it's working out for you Pete! Me personally, I am a little skeptical of Behringer products... But a soldering iron and a schematic/wiring diagram usually makes everything ok.

note; Behringer bought TC Electronics and Tannoy... And I also have a G-System in my guitar rig! lol So I guess I "sorta" like Behringer? lol I like it with caution hahaha

(I LOVE EHX stuff!)

My home studio mixer is a Behringer that I've used almost daily for the past 10 years. NO issues! However i did have a line mixer from them that didn't last more than 2 years. I guess the issue is consistency. So yea if I were gigging heavily I wouldn't use their products if money wasn't an option for sure.

As for EH, once they began making pedals again they really improved quality, probably just the assembly process I would venture. Does anyone remember the Russian army green era for EH/Sovtek?

Wed May 03, 2017 11:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

My little k900fx and I have been through a lot. It's been very dependable, I'll say that. It can be used for very small venues, but mostly, it's reserved for effect free, structured practice time.

Here's an article on the acquisition that jayskerr is referring to:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/04/30/behringer-announces-major-corporate-acquisition-buys-tc-group/

Interestingly, Behringer makes no mention of the acquisition on their wiki, but that's because it has more to do with Music Group which is chaired by Uli Behringer.

Wed May 03, 2017 2:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jason Brock has a Phil Jones 'briefcase' bass amp. It sounds awesome.
http://www.instituteofbass.com/archive/product_spotlight/phil_jones/

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue May 09, 2017 3:47 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

WerkSpace wrote:
Jason Brock has a Phil Jones 'briefcase' bass amp. It sounds awesome.
http://www.instituteofbass.com/archive/product_spotlight/phil_jones/

I'd love one of those!! Forgot to mention I'm a tone freak on a budget. :(

Tue May 09, 2017 7:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery