It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 pm

sfx SP-2 Stick Preamp 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post sfx SP-2 Stick Preamp
My wife got this for me for Christmas and it's just the thing to put some gain, impedance matching and EQ into a Stickup. It also in a mini-mixer which will take your Stickup down to mono or output discrete right and left. I'm sure it would add a lot to any type of Stick pickup. Mucho gain available plus simple but very musical EQ. Nice small size will fit easily on a minimal pedalboard or tuck into the pocket of your gig bag for those times you may end up playing thru strange systems or a single input amp. Andy Salvanos turned me on to it as an alternative to a Step About. His recent CDs are recorded thru one. Pascal Glanville uses one too. They're around $212. Custom made in the UK. http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/sp2/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:52 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: sfx SP-2 Stick Preamp
Hmmn, now this looks pretty interesting! Pretty cool, thanks for sharing!

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Have also one and I do recommend it.
Lots of gain available and adds much low end into my light-gauge-classic-tuning bottom-melody side. Also like that the knobs are pretty tight to wind.

Bruno Ricard [grozoeil] recommended it and while they are made-by-order the price/quality is very good. Plus it delivered pretty quickly also!

Here's some more info: http://sfxsound.com/sp2/

They make *whatever* custom orders, as(check out stickist.com photo gallery) Bruno also has MX16 -device.

I'm sure Bruno reads this, so could you tell aboutMX16? /other devices you have ordered/in mind?

Polycarbonate #2718 Stickup
Rosewood Grand #1703 ACTV-2

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:44 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

considering between this and paying more and get the step about

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:14 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for the reminder Capt. I forgot all about these but yes Andy had one and really liked it.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I've owned one for years. It's a great sounding preamp, solidly built and super quiet. Very nice quality. I've primarily used mine in my studio as part of my recording chain, but it would be great as part of a pedalboard based live rig. Or, just plug it into a high quality powered speaker and you're super portable. Great communication too. I emailed several times with Max on some ideas and questions. Could not have been more informative and pleasant. Two thumbs up for sure.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:04 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yep....got one!!

I've also got one of their "thumpinator" pedals that rolls of the subsonic, essentially making your bass amp much more efficient, by cutting down on signals below the hearing threshold that wastes wattage!!

Also Max at SFX is is very amenable if you want a custom pedal!!

Highly recommended.

Red Grand Railboard 7164 "Iron Man" June 21 2018

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Indeed, this device is top notch and I agree with what's said above. The SP2 is sturdy, small enough to be packed in the gig bag, works with a standard 9v power supply. The mono output is also very convenient when, at jam sessions, you have to play with only one bass amp. The EQ section is less developed than the StepABout, but is still very musical, and you have far more gain available without any hiss.
Working with Max is fantastic, his response are always well detailed and very clear for newbies such as me. I still have a stepabout at home but I don't use it for some reasons.
The MX-16 is a custom work he did for me. The inspiration is clearly coming from the routing section of the StepABout imagined by Greg Howard, but i felt frustrated with the location of the switches, so I designed the device to be able to stomp all the switches at the same time, or stomp two of them simultaneously without touching the other. and I needed a smaller footprint to be able to fit it on a small pedalboard.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The TRS input, ironically, is the showstopper for me. Seems like that's the whole point, right? Fewer inputs. I (continue to) hear good things about this pre-amp and I like that the manufacturer is so responsive. Good show sfxsound.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Quote:
The TRS input, ironically, is the showstopper for me.

Actually you can build a 15 foot TRS to TRS cable for about $10 in about 15 minutes. You can modify a standard XLR mic cable or just make it from scratch which is what I did. Plus I'm certain you can buy such a cable online if it came down to that. What the SP-2 does not have is an FX loop. But there are still several ways to play thru one or two amps with one or two FX chains. What I do like is that it can make a Stickup active, give it some EQ, clean boost and a mono or stereo capability.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:21 pm