It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

Rock tune Logic ProX Tutorial/Demo 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Rock tune Logic ProX Tutorial/Demo
piratebruce wrote:
.....that era in studios when people started saying, OK, its not great ..but you can fix it , cant you ?? :roll:

And the swedish wonderkid has been in Australia several times, I've seen him do that track, still love it, though my Yngwie phase ended years ago!

Yes. "We can fix that, right?" When in reality it's "The best fix is practice... so go learn your parts." Recording is a means of documenting a performance, and I am always surprised at how people will use this kind of tech correctively as opposed to creatively... Imagine if the Beatles had access to a modern DAW combined with their creative attitudes... Amazing possibilities that are easily in the price range of... everyone. A DAW and a computer and an interface, and you are in business. In business enough to demo your own stuff, that's for sure. Kind of funny, where I live there are, like 50 supposed "engineers" with their own "studio"... some are better than others... Although, I have to say that these guys all do things a bit differently; I have learned a lot of interesting ideas from these button mashers... :D

Y'know, Yng is an interesting cat. He has his own sound, and is imitated by millions. His influence reaches to people that hate him and his music. He has not changed his overall musical formula at ALL and is still quite successful... I will admit, I like his early stuff a lot better, ummm up until Trilogy I think... I am always blown away at how many different types of people show up at his concerts. Well done Yng.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:52 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

paigan0 wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
Thanks for checking it out, dude! I am a big fan Of Logic, have been for awhile. And of course, Garageband doesn't suck. Insanely powerful tools that I probably would have killed for probably when I was just getting into music as a young person...

An interesting thing about "Drummer" in Logic ProX; There is a function called "Follow" in there, where it will basically revolve/reference it's groove around a midi track...

That means you could record your basic groove on NS/Stick/bass and then literally use pitch to midi to create a line with the rhythm, mute that track so that it isn't audible, but literally have it determine the "feel" of your drummer track. Very powerful.

Logic ProX rocks.
Skydiver wrote:
Super cool!
I don't think you need to pitch-to-midi either. Just choose the track.

So much on that program... So cool!

I wish Pro Tools had that feature. I'm a crappy drummer but I know what I like. I've played with it a little in Garageband and it's very cool. Maybe there's something similar for PT...

So I googled just that: "Logic Pro X Drummer in Pro Tools"; Good news and bad news.

The bad news (for PT users) is that there's really no equivalent for PT. There's loads of good programs for PT--I like NI's Studio Drummer and Session Drummer and also the Abbey Road Drummer(s)--but there's BFD2, studiodrummer, superior drummer, addictive drums, and others. But something that intuitively analyzes your track and makes a percussion track groove with it, none. -Ish.

But the good news, and news that I will seriously investigate, is that you can run Logic Pro X INSIDE a running PT on a MAC. I have Pro Tools, a couple of MACs, and a working copy of Logic Pro X just so I can export awesome Jayesskerr tracks. So I can use Logic Pro X Drummer and still keep all my PT goodness.

Here's where I read about it and where I will watch these two videos and try to get this to work. Cheers, Scott and Dean, for giving me the idea to search for this as a possibility! Sweet!

https://www.reddit.com/r/protools/comme ... s/cb5tr6g/
Quote:
you could always actually use the logic version and route it to pro tools with this method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-cU-lyYgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbrNUuaux7k
Both videos relevant.
As for my personal opinion, the entirety of logic x is $200, comes with a shitload of stuff that sounds pretty fucking great, it's entire cost is cheaper than many of the "standard" drum plugins, that only comes with one kit. you get everything for $200 so it seems like a no brainer to me.

Jeez, I tried to do some routing via Bidule, and honestly it was way more efficient to just program some midi drums from scratch! Haha good gawd... Even dealing with rewire is a lot easier. Total nightmare from my perspective, hehe :D One DAW at a time for this cat...

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The "Beat Detective" function in PT allows you to apply the feel of a track to another.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Olivier wrote:
The "Beat Detective" function in PT allows you to apply the feel of a track to another.

Yes, and most DAWs have an application like that where they can audio quantize/cross fade and fill gaps. Beat detective is pretty cool, especially for changing the feel of recorded drums. I know Logic's time stretch function works in a similar fashion...

But what Logic Pro X's "Drummer" does is randomly generate a fairly appropriate drum groove via the pencil tool. What you have created can be converted to midi after all is said and done, and you can change all aspects of the kit specific to the kit very quickly. Faster even than dragging an dropping a midi file from EZ drummer. Handier (and quieter) than playing in the drums, plus infinite variety on the fly. Truly a great songwriting tools complete with deep editing.

Nothing against Protools, or any other DAW Logic is just my jam... :D

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:34 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Very interesting, indeed Scott. Although I have to say what I like the most is a real drummer applying his feel to mine and vice versa :-D :-D

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Olivier wrote:
Very interesting, indeed Scott. Although I have to say what I like the most is a real drummer applying his feel to mine and vice versa :-D :-D

Agreed, Olivier. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is as cool as a real human doing their thing! The tech has to be secondary to the music, technology is just a tool... :D

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:07 pm