Stickist.com
http://stickist.com/

Phantom power, effect loop, summing pedal (does this exist?)
http://stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11942
Page 1 of 4

Author:  gbevin [ Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:22 am ]
Post subject:  Phantom power, effect loop, summing pedal (does this exist?)

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a single pedal to use with my Railboard and I imagine it working like this:

* Two XLR inputs that are phantom powered
* Two independent effect loops
* Summed output towards single TS output jack

It seems to me that this would provide everything to get a great active sound from the Railboard's RB-lock, with the flexibility of adding individual effects on bass and melody, and plug into a single instrument input on the mixing desk/audio interface. The latter would then allow to be easily switch with other instruments (guitar, Harpejji) through my switching panel.

Does something like this exist? I'v been searching for a while but can't find a single pedal that does this.

Thanks for the help,

Geert

Author:  greg [ Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phantom power, effect loop, summing pedal (does this exi

gbevin wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a single pedal to use with my Railboard and I imagine it working like this:

* Two XLR inputs that are phantom powered
* Two independent effect loops
* Summed output towards single TS output jack

It seems to me that this would provide everything to get a great active sound from the Railboard's RB-lock, with the flexibility of adding individual effects on bass and melody, and plug into a single instrument input on the mixing desk/audio interface. The latter would then allow to be easily switch with other instruments (guitar, Harpejji) through my switching panel.

Does something like this exist? I'v been searching for a while but can't find a single pedal that does this.

Thanks for the help,

Geert

Hi Geert, I think the answer to this is the Line 6 Helix. You don't need phantom power on both lines to power the pickup, so you plug the melody side into the mic input, and the bass side into the guitar input (using an XLR to TRS adapter).

Great onboard efects, two separate paths, output mixed. Everthing you asked for (and more)

Author:  gbevin [ Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phantom power, effect loop, summing pedal (does this exi

greg wrote:
Hi Geert, I think the answer to this is the Line 6 Helix. You don't need phantom power on both lines to power the pickup, so you plug the melody side into the mic input, and the bass side into the guitar input (using an XLR to TRS adapter).

Great onboard efects, two separate paths, output mixed. Everthing you asked for (and more


Thanks Greg! I've been looking at the Helix indeed. It is way more than what I'm looking for though since I gig with a computer, my Metric Halo interface and a series of analog and digital pedals (including the H9 Max). This is all already working for the rest of my setup, so I'm looking for the most compact way to integrate the Railboard, given that I already have an instrument switcher pedal also.

Btw, thanks for reminding me that two phantom powered connections aren't needed. I tried it again with the Railboard since I never got this to work before, and it turns out that this works indeed but only on the melody side. If you only power the bass side, the melody sounds like it's still passive.

Author:  gbevin [ Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phantom power, effect loop, summing pedal (does this exi

After taking into account that only one phantom power connection is required, I think the Eventide MixingLink might be what I'm looking for. I need to take some time to study all the possibilities, but it seems to come really close:
https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/ ... mixinglink

Author:  Per Boysen [ Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phantom power, effect loop, summing pedal (does this exi

I use a Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal for summing of my two analog signal chains. Important is to activate the Strymon's "amp sim" algorithm. This is a true stereo effect so the direct signal of the melody and the direct signal of the bass side go hard panned, so if you plan to spread a wide stereo it may not be a good idea. For me though, it works like a charm with small portable speakers, either mono or with the two stereo sides close to each other. I like the portability of combining reverb, as the last and shared effect, with summing; less gear to carry around :-) And the sound is gorgeous! The Strymon offers three quick access switches that morphs smoothly between three favorite patches. I have one really long and delay-like, one almost dry and one with a zizzling reverb (new age style reverb), so it's nice to send out just one or two notes into the long one while playing faster tunes. Oopsey, got carried away there, didn't mean to post this much :-)

Author:  gbevin [ Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phantom power, effect loop, summing pedal (does this exi

Per Boysen wrote:
I use a Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal for summing of my two analog signal chains. Important is to activate the Strymon's "amp sim" algorithm. This is a true stereo effect so the direct signal of the melody and the direct signal of the bass side go hard panned, so if you plan to spread a wide stereo it may not be a good idea. For me though, it works like a charm with small portable speakers, either mono or with the two stereo sides close to each other. I like the portability of combining reverb, as the last and shared effect, with summing; less gear to carry around :-) And the sound is gorgeous! The Strymon offers three quick access switches that morphs smoothly between three favorite patches. I have one really long and delay-like, one almost dry and one with a zizzling reverb (new age style reverb), so it's nice to send out just one or two notes into the long one while playing faster tunes. Oopsey, got carried away there, didn't mean to post this much :-)


Thanks Per! The Big Sky keeps tickling my GAS more and more often! :-)

Sadly this doesn't really solve the "one pedal" approach I'm looking for since it's missing phantom power to provide juice to the R-Block.

Author:  greg [ Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phantom power, effect loop, summing pedal (does this exi

gbevin wrote:
greg wrote:
Hi Geert, I think the answer to this is the Line 6 Helix. You don't need phantom power on both lines to power the pickup, so you plug the melody side into the mic input, and the bass side into the guitar input (using an XLR to TRS adapter).

Great onboard efects, two separate paths, output mixed. Everthing you asked for (and more


Thanks Greg! I've been looking at the Helix indeed. It is way more than what I'm looking for though since I gig with a computer, my Metric Halo interface and a series of analog and digital pedals (including the H9 Max). This is all already working for the rest of my setup, so I'm looking for the most compact way to integrate the Railboard, given that I already have an instrument switcher pedal also.

Btw, thanks for reminding me that two phantom powered connections aren't needed. I tried it again with the Railboard since I never got this to work before, and it turns out that this works indeed but only on the melody side. If you only power the bass side, the melody sounds like it's still passive.


you might also be able to replace your audio interface with the Helix...

Author:  gbevin [ Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phantom power, effect loop, summing pedal (does this exi

greg wrote:
you might also be able to replace your audio interface with the Helix...


That's definitely not going to work, I use all 8 inputs, 8 outputs, AES ins and outs, and it has sub-mixes for all the 5 members of the bands, and also does multi-track recording of all tracks ... and has on-board DSP that sounds really good. :-)

Author:  greg [ Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phantom power, effect loop, summing pedal (does this exi

gbevin wrote:
greg wrote:
you might also be able to replace your audio interface with the Helix...


That's definitely not going to work, I use all 8 inputs, 8 outputs, AES ins and outs, and it has sub-mixes for all the 5 members of the bands, and also does multi-track recording of all tracks ... and has on-board DSP that sounds really good. :-)
ok... now I get it...

Why do you want to submix the Stick's signal, just to limit the number of channels it occupies in the interface

Author:  gbevin [ Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phantom power, effect loop, summing pedal (does this exi

greg wrote:
]ok... now I get it...

Why do you want to submix the Stick's signal, just to limit the number of channels it occupies in the interface


Yes, that's one of the reasons, all the channels are already filled up, but I could slave another interface to it if really needed. However, I have a whole series of floor pedals that I would like to use also, and my guitar and harpejji are already going through it by using a switch pedal. If I submix the Railboard into a mono signal first, I can just have it go through the whole existing signal chain. In terms of AU effects (amp sim, time effects, ...), I'm switching those out for each song based on program change messages that are sent by another foot pedal. When switching to the stick, I would simply have to change to the right program and it will set up everything automatically with a single press (the analog switcher is also MIDI capable).

Page 1 of 4 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/