It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

Possible mono Stick preamp: Tech 21 Q\Strip 

Post Possible mono Stick preamp: Tech 21 Q\Strip
Due out in March. B&H shows a preorder price of $249.

http://tech21nyc.com/products/effects/qstrip.html

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:27 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Possible mono Stick preamp: Tech 21 Q\Strip
The sounds are excellent with the acoustic guitar. I think it will sound great on both sides of the stick.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

That looks really, really handy. I'm thinking mainly correction and problem solving. Cool.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Skydiver wrote:
The sounds are excellent with the acoustic guitar. I think it will sound great on both sides of the stick.

Agreed!

Two of those on a pedalboard could be a great Stick preamp solution. Go direct right into the PA if desired with the XLR.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:16 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

TappistRT wrote:

Agreed!

Two of those on a pedalboard could be a great Stick preamp solution. Go direct right into the PA if desired with the XLR.
Just playing devil's advocate here...

When was the last time you wanted to run your Stick straight into a PA without putting some effects on it first? 8-) They do look like cool preamps, though. I'm sure they sound excellent.

If you want to preamp your sound, and then run it through multiple effects lines with a routing matrix, too, the StepABout is the best non-tube pre-amp I've ever heard with the Stickup...

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Tech 21 has been making "direct in" solutions for quite some time. I bet that this unit sounds great, and adding effects is as easy as putting that pedal last in your signal chain and treating the tech21 as your "amp". Could be a cool solution for all of those pedal fanatics out there...

Me personally, I am quite happy with the Boss GT100, L6 Helix, or AxeFX2 setup options currently at my disposal. Plus there's always my pedalboard which I use at band practices...
Fun stuff!

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Tech 21 has been making "direct in" solutions for quite some time. I bet that this unit sounds great, and adding effects is as easy as putting that pedal last in your signal chain and treating the tech21 as your "amp". Could be a cool solution for all of those pedal fanatics out there...

That's certainly one way to look at it, but...

You'll get the best s/n ratio doing your tone-shaping before your effects, not after...

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

That's certainly one way to look at it, but...

You'll get the best s/n ratio doing your tone-shaping before your effects, not after...

lol You really don't like me do you, Greg? Big apologies for my offensive post. Let me clarify...

I'm not offering "the" solution, but rather just a viewpoint. There are a LOT of different ways to connect one's equipment, and just as many reasons behind each viewpoint... Some guys use their effects loops on their amps, others go direct into said amp. A lot of different schools of thought depending on what one wants to achieve. It's the reason people like individual stomps; so they can connect them whatever way they please...

Anyways, what if you are using it NOT as a "toneshaper" and instead as a cabinet simulator/DI box? As many Sansamp products are used...?
Well, in that instance, the "amp sim" goes last in the chain. At least in guitar/bass-land... Then again, I am not a Stickist.

Signal to noise can happen in different ways in MANY instances; Noisefloor is a reality whether one is connected in series/parallel, etc.

Just an opinion, from nobody.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:56 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Scott..

First, I'm not sure why this feels personal to you, just expressing my opinion, not necessarily THE answer.

So, preamps are just that, specialty devices designed to take an unbuffered signal, match it for good s/n ratio and tone and then pass it out to the next stage.

If you're putting a signal into the preamp that's already buffered (active pickups, for example) then you don't get the tonal character of the preamp circuit. This particular device is designed to emulate an input channel on a console. It's not a "direct box" per se, though it might make a fine one, who knows....

Bottom line is, do what sounds good to your ear, but be mindful of gain structuring and impedance matching...

cheers!

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Another alternative that Robstafarian made me realize way back when I had a Zoom G3 is that there is a 2 band parametric EQ in it. At the time I was having issues getting the Markbass amp to work with my Grand - No issues with the NS. The G3's two band eq solved the issue. Was an eq issue.

I get what Greg is talking about, my new doubleneck acoustic doesn't play nice with my Fishman acoustic amp, but fine going through my Helix into my K12's. I have an EBS Microbass II that solves the issue. Would love to have something like that with dual output. I've considered the Stepabout, or the Tonebone Studio PreZ. The Grace Felix and Acouswitch look awesome too, but $$$$ ! Acouswitch is a little cheaper than the Stepabout, but doesn't have the routing features. In this case, there's something funky that goes on with matching acoustic pickups with certain amps. I'm discovering many acoustic guitarists using DI boxes of some sort, going into acoustic guitar amps. I've also been working this issue with Steve Osburn with his Godin. What works with our Sticks doesn't always work with acoustic guitars.

I've also had the SansAmp Bass DI before the EBS, both have tube amp emulation, the EBS goes further with quite a few other features. I agree with Greg, not seeing what makes this pedal a preamp. May solve some eq issues, or create new sounds, looks like an awesome parametric eq.

I'd like something for a "grab and go" with just the Fishman that works with both Stick and guitar that gives me options to work with other amps/PA as well.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:38 pm