It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

Possible mono Stick preamp: Tech 21 Q\Strip 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Possible mono Stick preamp: Tech 21 Q\Strip
Not taking anything personal at all, dude. You replied to me, I replied to you. Easy as that.

From the product description;

"LPF rolls off undesirable frequencies. Can also be used as a speaker simulator. When used in conjunction with the studio-grade EQ section, you can recreate different speaker cabinet curves so you can go direct with your favorite distortion and effects pedals."

Sounds like a potential cab sim situation to me... That's all.

Also, it can apparently drive a power amp...

"XLR is capable to drive power amps and has a -20dB pad to accommodate mic level inputs on mixers and pre-amps."

But, what would I know.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:31 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've never heard of anyone putting their pedals after their amp.
I just can't see trying to pump 100+ watts thru a pedal.
Usually my amps are matched to my drivers.
Just saying... sounds a bit backwards to me.

PS: and no, I don't hate you. 8-)
Jayesskerr wrote:
Tech 21 has been making "direct in" solutions for quite some time. I bet that this unit sounds great, and adding effects is as easy as putting that pedal last in your signal chain and treating the tech21 as your "amp". Could be a cool solution for all of those pedal fanatics out there...

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:44 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
lol You really don't like me do you, Greg? Big apologies for my offensive post. Let me clarify...

Just an opinion, from nobody.

This was kind of the tip-off that you were taking things personally. Hard to read it any other way.

I took no offense, so you're just attributing things to me that aren't there, in my words or in my heart.

This looks like it could be a great pedal, assuming it's quiet. With a full-range instrument, that's always the question...

Find your sound, however you may....

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

WerkSpace wrote:

Jayesskerr wrote:
Tech 21 has been making "direct in" solutions for quite some time. I bet that this unit sounds great, and adding effects is as easy as putting that pedal last in your signal chain and treating the tech21 as your "amp". Could be a cool solution for all of those pedal fanatics out there...

Umm, not saying that... I'm thinking my post was misunderstood and now you guys think I'm a moron.
Let me try again...

On a pedalboard using the Sansamp as a possible cabsim;

Instrument>Dist>Delay>Sansamp>PA

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:53 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
lol You really don't like me do you, Greg? Big apologies for my offensive post. Let me clarify...

Just an opinion, from nobody.

This was kind of the tip-off that you were taking things personally. Hard to read it any other way.

I took no offense, so you're just attributing things to me that aren't there, in my words or in my heart.

This looks like it could be a great pedal, assuming it's quiet. With a full-range instrument, that's always the question...

Find your sound, however you may....

Nothing personal, not at all. I think you misunderstand what I was trying to say is all...

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:00 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
TappistRT wrote:

Agreed!

Two of those on a pedalboard could be a great Stick preamp solution. Go direct right into the PA if desired with the XLR.
Just playing devil's advocate here...

When was the last time you wanted to run your Stick straight into a PA without putting some effects on it first? 8-) They do look like cool preamps, though. I'm sure they sound excellent.

If you want to preamp your sound, and then run it through multiple effects lines with a routing matrix, too, the StepABout is the best non-tube pre-amp I've ever heard with the Stickup...

Greg, valid point. We always need some effects.

I guess I should have clarified "into a mixer, then effects, then PA." You could use this box as a DI with an EQ, then use additional EQ on the mixer itself. Then use effect inserts on each channel with a TRS cable. After which, run the outs into the PA. I sort of have my new pedalboard set up this way, though I'm using the inserts for additional modulation effects on top of the already-affected signal going into the mixer. I'm gonna post another pic in the "big pedalboard discussion thread" when I'm finished setting it up, hopefully sometime next month.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:46 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:

Jayesskerr wrote:

Umm, not saying that... I'm thinking my post was misunderstood and now you guys think I'm a moron.
Let me try again...

On a pedalboard using the Sansamp as a possible cabsim;

Instrument>Dist>Delay>Sansamp>PA

I understood your point perfectly, for what it's worth. As a "channel strip", one would expect that running instrument-effects-sansamp would be one of the intended ways of using it.

Please don't run yourself down - judging by your usual posts, you have a wealth of experience and information. Very valuable.

Cheers

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Any of these approaches should be valid, depending on what you're aiming for. SansAmp has made many DI-type boxes, this one emulating a console channel strip - so just imagine how you'd plug straight into a console. You could certainly put your effects in front of it if you like, but of course it's going to shape the sound of everything going into it, and it also may affect how it responds to whatever chain is in front of it vs a straight instrument signal.

Used as a preamp pedal (it has a MOSFET gain stage to serve as a console preamp) you'd run the 1/4" out to whatever pedals you wanted afterwards. It appears that the 1/4" and XLR outs are configured somewhat differently (not having actual spec sheets I'm just guessing, but having used other products of theirs before I think it's a safe bet) - the XLR output has -20dB attenuation, and the 1/4" has a +10dB boost, which to me indicates that they are designed to accommodate various different connections.

Of course, given that it can run on 48v phantom power, it obviously will serve as a DI box.

I think it looks like a very interesting device myself, particularly since they say it will handle low impedance signals - how well it works, of course, remains to be seen. I had the original SansAmp, and at first I wasn't impressed because I tried using it like a fuzz box. Running into the front end of a Fender tube amp was awful, but then I ran it through a solid-state amp and it really shined - so much so I sold the tube amp & played with that combination for quite awhile. This seems like it might be a really good piece of gear for the Stick.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:29 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Was about to post a new thread but found this one, sorta similar to what I was going to ask.

Ok so to the folks that use rack gear or super pedal setups and run straight to PA, do you use speaker emulation pedals or just manage with EQ settings to round out the sound?

When I was a guitar player, I had to work out of so many configurations. Sometimes mic'd guitar amp, othertimes Line6 to pa etc..

Overall to my ears and to the sound-mans', we found that we much preferred the guitar amp being mic'd solution best. There's just something magic coming out of that speaker.

Right now I'm using a HD500 and Zoom b9.1 for processing and amp sim but am growing weary of the lifeless sounding effects compared to standard effects, but before I go replacing anything I need to make sure that I won't spend a fortune only to wish I had the line 6 and zoom amp sims? Can anyone relate?

Also, in regards to Preamp before effects, has anyone had good luck with using an efx loop from their amps? I tried this many times with pedals and only noticed added distortion on pedals like Boss chorus and delay etc.. Most amplifiers don't have a true "preamp" gain adjustment only "Drive" so I would imagine the rackmount or units like the Stepabout have a solid niche in being able to adjust preamp gain.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery