It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

Lava Cables 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Lava Cables
Everything happens by snowballing, does it not?

My wife asked me to pick a song to learn she wants to sing. So, I went through her list and found "Round Here" by Counting Crows. I played around with it and asked for her attention. I started playing, she started singing, she didn't stop, so I didn't stop. It worked. Mostly. The middle section has a wah sound, which I don't have a sound for.

So I had my eye on the Cocked Wah pedal with the option for the expression pedal, and pulled the trigger on it. Knowing that it wouldn't fit on my Temple Board without tightening up the space between pedals, I got the cables recommended by Temple Board - Lava Cables.

These things have quite the learning curve to assemble. I spent multiple hours before I figured out all the tricks, which includes watching videos that didn't really address my mistakes. Then I finally got two in a row to work. I have 3 more to go before I run out of plugs. It really does tighten the space effectively vs. ProCo cables.

I also learned in my investigating that there are much easier cables to assemble that have a low profile, but some of them (like George L's) cost much more. Live and learn.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:36 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Lava Cables
Yeah... there are several companies out there making these types of solder-less cables. I have the first Planet Waves cable station kit. Works great and I've never had any issues with them but aren't really space saving because the connectors are the standard size anyway... but customizable in cable length and works for me...

I'm interested in hearing how the Cocked Wah sounds with the Stick. I was looking at that pedal because I like using a wah in the signal chain but keeping it at one point... aka Cocked Wah...
A cocked wah is a great way to "EQ" your sound without a traditional EQ. Use it to mellow out the tone or make it scream... focuses the tone. Doesn't work all the time but I like using it over a traditional EQ.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lava cables are overrated, IMHO. I used them for a bit, they seemed fine at first until they fail (usually at a gig). Other guitarists I know also have not had great experiences, and prefer the George Ls or the Planet Waves kits.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:43 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Since the pedal types are similar for bass and melody, you can see the difference in spacing from regular to low profile cables. I think the difference is huge (no politics).

One of the comments I read on Sweetwater about this wah, I found to be completely true. Without fuzz, this pedal is weak. With fuzz, it doesn't replace a good EQ, in that it is altering the tone that much more. I think the PASV4 has enough filters built in, I don't personally need EQ in the chain.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:35 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm interested in trying these particular solderless cables at some point:

http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/disasterplug

Low profile plugs, and they have a notch to convert the cable to a right angle configuration if necessary.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:52 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I can tell you from personal experience that George L's are amazingly durable. Cables I put together over 10 years ago are still going strong. Costs a little more but are rock solid.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:17 am