It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

Boss GT-100 And the Chapman Stick... 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Boss GT-100 And the Chapman Stick...
Yes, it's been a little while and I know you guys prefer separate pedals and stuff but I thought I'd share this. I blab a bit about the units, and then share a couple of playing clips. Plus, I tried to make a 'superior' video (Y'know, less crappy, lol) One could get away with just using one of these units, but I prefer two - One for each side. Plus, I can also use my GR55 in there as well if I want and have everything slaved off of my "Master Boss GT-100". Works well with a couple of GT-6's, GT-8's and GT-10's as well, but there's features like the looper, ctl switch and the metronome that I just HAVE to have so the GT-100 is 'my' thing for the Stick... Plus, besides sounding pretty good, they are pretty much indestructible... Just my opinion, though.

Oh yeah, an effects loop for both unit so that I can add whatever I want (EHX Hog2) to whatever side. and I could add an extra expression pedal to each side as well as the existing ones on each unit that control vol/wah/whammy/whatever. Now I just gotta build a pedalboard/case for the thing and I am good to go.

Alrighty. Have a good one, guys.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Boss GT-100 And the Chapman Stick...
Scott,

Welcome back! Lots to say about this one.

First off, I like the idea of everything in one box: looper, effects, pitch shifters, tuners, pedals. I like that you have one per side. Simple and elegant and effective.

I like the different sounds and patches you demoed. The swell delay is awesome and trippy, and a nice color changer. Fuzz slicer! Me likey! Ring mod--burn with fire! Me no likey! :D But I did like the two-handed tapping big finish!

Jayesskerr wrote:
Plus, besides sounding pretty good, they are pretty much indestructible... Just my opinion, though.

I like that they're sturdy. Anything I'm going to be stepping on and all over better be!

https://www.boss.info/us/products/gt-100/
Quote:
With the new GT-100 Version 2.0 update, BOSS’ flagship multi-effects processor is now even more powerful than before, adding a host of great new features to its already formidable arsenal. Two new amp types are included, along with cutting-edge MDP effects, an acoustic guitar simulator, and an improved rotary effect. A convenient Guitar-to-MIDI function is on board as well, letting you have fun with Guitar Friend Jam and other computer software using your normal guitar. The GT-100’s USB audio capabilities have been expanded too, providing greater flexibility for re-amping applications. And with the BOSS TONE STUDIO software, you can now edit GT-100 patches from a friendly graphical interface on your computer.

Looks like quite the Stick tool. Thanks for sharing!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol oh come now, the ring modulation effect is the best... I don't know why more musicians don't use it as their lead tone. Nothing quite like it... hahaha

Ring Modulated Guitars - so nice!
Ring Modulated Saxophone - a real slice!
Ring Modulated Drums - ermagerd!
Ring Modulated Chapman Stick - yes, that's what you heard...

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:35 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
and I know you guys prefer separate pedals and stuff

Hey, watch it! Don't be putting all us Stickists in one basket! I'm STILL using a PODX3! (with outside "toys", hehe)
Jayesskerr wrote:
Lol oh come now, the ring modulation effect is the best... I don't know why more musicians don't use it as their lead tone. Nothing quite like it... hahaha

Ring Modulated Guitars - so nice!
Ring Modulated Saxophone - a real slice!
Ring Modulated Drums - ermagerd!
Ring Modulated Chapman Stick - yes, that's what you heard...

Don't forget Don Ellis on Ring Modulated Echoplex Wahwah 1/4 tone Trumpet! (check out "Hey Jude" on YouTube. The best version of the song. Ever.)

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Nice video.... Love my ALL in ONE HELIX!!

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:53 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Ditto to the guys taking exception to the separate pedal remark ;)

The Boss units are, in fact, sturdy as all getup and they sound great. At one point, I was sporting twin GT-3 pedals when they were the latest and greatest. About my only complaint was that between those units and the added pedal I need for loops, floor real estate was becoming a problem. There were even gigs with the band where I could only fit the melody GT on the floor and everything else was stacked behind me on the amp. That's when I switched to a rack and one MIDI foot controller. Even then I went Boss multi-effects though with twin VF-1s. I always thought those GT floor units were superior to the rack units though.

Today I've quietly taken another stab at going 100% computer based. I've switched over to a Thunderbolt interface and right now I'm quite happy with the whole setup.

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey, that GT-1 looks pretty cool. AND battery operated...mebe a couple of those puppies. Smaller footprint(s).

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sorry; I just noticed that a lot of folks here like using separate pedals and pedal boards is all. Not an insult or a slight, just an observation. I hope nobody's feelings were hurt too badly? lol I myself have a lot of stomp boxes, and tried that route, but when it comes to floorspace, control, and wiring, it can get out of hand really quick. AND, I want it to sound the same as when I plug into my JC120s, my Yamaha Stage-pass PA, or a computer interface or whatever. So I thought I'd share that's all, no offence intended

I do know a few of us use rack systems, or 'all in one' type things like the Helix or GT100 as well as pedal setups. I also have a Rack system with a couple of line6 PodHDPros, and an FAS AxeFX II. (but I am NOT taking that stuff out of my studio to a space where they can get damaged and stolen, and cost an arm and a leg to replace... lol) Units like the Helix and the GT-100 already come with foot controllers and expression pedals also which makes it worthwhile/ideal for my "Dedicated Stick Rig".

The GT01 is the exact same thing; Rodrigo uses one (And he sounds awesome, pretty much inspired me to go the Boss route, actually)

As far as floorspace goes, I am building (or buying) a pedalboard that will stack the two pedals on top of each other, maybe a hinge or something for easy access when I want to do some editing. Still, even if I have to put the pedals beside each other for the jams and open mics I have done so far, they aren't in the way. lol The critical effects for me are the tuners and separate volume pedals... hahaha

I am intrigued by those little Zoom Stomps that Gene and co. discussed at the last "Free Hands Friday" episode. They look really, really cool as long as they "talk" to each other...
The Zoom stuff sounds good, that's for sure!

As for the 'computer route' using an interface and plugins, I am just not comfortable with that just yet. Maybe a bit later down the line, after you guys have 'pressure tested' it...

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Zoom multieffects pedals are great and save a lot of floor space. I've been using one for years and it serves me very well.

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:

The GT01 is the exact same thing; Rodrigo uses one

Actually I use a pair also: one for each side. :) best thing is I'm able to have everything EQ plus FX before going on a gig. I usually send the signal to a small mixer and then one mono goes to my amp and the other, also in mono, to the PA (since I've had a few technicians not understanding the concept and having very different opinions on volume balance for each side). That way they just get to correct whatever they need and not mess too much with my sound. Average sound check takes about 10 minutes.
Attached there's one picture so you'll see how small they are. ;)Image

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:39 am