It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Best distortion sounds on The Stick 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Best distortion sounds on The Stick
greg wrote:
Hi all,

I'm curious what you find to be the best examples of distortion on The Stick.

I tend to go from super nasty to only somewhat nasty.

And I really like Giancarlo's sound on this video:

Also really like Alex Nahas's sounds...

I love this style of music...thanks...

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Right on , Kris..... I really dislike distortion..... give me some chorus, delay, flange....octaver.... never have been able to like or make distortion something that pleases my ear.... Am I missing something

Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:24 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

It's so subjective Randy, we all have our idea of what sounds good. Stick is tricky too because you can't necessarily listen to an amp or pedal demo on Youtube and think that it will sound anywhere near the same. I think it's probably because the way we play, tapping vs. picking/strumming, that amps react differently to that. There was a thread recently where I believe Emmett was talking about the strings vibrating vertically instead of horizontally, and that has to make a difference. When I get my Railboard I'll be on that hunt again, but hoping that the gear I currently have will do the trick!

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:03 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Kris wrote:
It's so subjective Randy, we all have our idea of what sounds good. Stick is tricky too because you can't necessarily listen to an amp or pedal demo on Youtube and think that it will sound anywhere near the same. I think it's probably because the way we play, tapping vs. picking/strumming, that amps react differently to that. There was a thread recently where I believe Emmett was talking about the strings vibrating vertically instead of horizontally, and that has to make a difference. When I get my Railboard I'll be on that hunt again, but hoping that the gear I currently have will do the trick!

The Stick's timbre and envelope are significantly different than those of an electric guitar, thus the hardwired EQ (i.e. “voicing”) and gain structure of a valve electric guitar amp does not match the instrument. As gain increases valve distortion, which in turn changes the harmonic structure within the amp, this mismatch becomes more critical.

Perhaps the best example of the basic incongruity between the Stick and an electric guitar is Greg's use of the Boss Metal Zone: A/Bing that sound with a demo of the same pedal used with an electric guitar will reveal how the Metal Zone manipulates a guitar's timbre and envelope to achieve the desired sound.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:38 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I understand and am well versed in sound engineering tubes, etc. ,and I am sorry but it has nothing to do with any "mismatch" of amp to instrument. There is NO proper pairing of instrument to amp. They are separate entities that do what they do regardless.
Kris, on my Helix I have some options for distortion. perhaps I should spend some time with them. I like the Tube Screamer some... and I like the sound of a slightly overdriven valve... I have discussed this with Trey, who uses lots of distortion. Basically he told me to put my big boy pants on and stop being a sissy about distortion!!
:lol:

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:50 am

Randy is right on. There is no "mismatch" between the Stick and guitar tube amps. If you know how to articulate your playing, the Stick can wail through a guitar tube amp. I play my guitar and Sticks through the same amps and digital patches with little to no adjustment (the bass side also sounds fantastic through tubes).

I like Giancarlo's overdrive at 1:15:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4STTEZMT1dk[/youtube]

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:29 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Another nice set of sounds:

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

rclere wrote:
I understand and am well versed in sound engineering tubes, etc. ,and I am sorry but it has nothing to do with any "mismatch" of amp to instrument. There is NO proper pairing of instrument to amp. They are separate entities that do what they do regardless.

Tube amps, particularly tube preamps, are highly interactive. I honestly cannot fathom what led you to believe what you wrote.
john.e wrote:
Randy is right on. There is no "mismatch" between the Stick and guitar tube amps. If you know how to articulate your playing, the Stick can wail through a guitar tube amp. I play my guitar and Sticks through the same amps and digital patches with little to no adjustment (the bass side also sounds fantastic through tubes).

Have you made videos demonstrating this with the melody side of your Stick(s)? This is a subject which deserves to be explored in detail, and I might be able to afford shipping a guitar amp to you for demonstration purposes—provided it does not sell in the meantime.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:20 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Giancarlo's tone is nice, but the way he plays and he transcribed some classic guitar licks to the Stick makes him a real Stick-hero. He really deserves to be featured on the "featured artist" page on stick.com IMHO ;)

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Robstafarian wrote:
Have you made videos demonstrating this with the melody side of your Stick(s)?

This clip features the melody and bass sides of a Stick through Fargen's version of a blackface Fender Showman. The overdrive is a Timmy, and there's a Shannon phaser on the clean part at the beginning. There's no guitar here, but I've played my guitar through the same amp.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:15 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next