It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

Pick up cutting out help!!!! 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Pick up cutting out help!!!!
My railboard R block seems to be cutting out. What I mean by that is the volume will suddenly drop as if someone is rapidly turning down the volume. I suspect its the 1/4 inch jack on the R block as Ive switched cables and same thing happens. Its been happening more and more lately. The 1/4 inch jack seems a bit loose to me. Im heading to Kev-C s place to hang out so will see what his stick is like and compare and try his cables and see it thats it. Anyone else every experienced that? My thought was to fix the jack as I do more complicated electronics but didnt want to do that unless every other option was explored. Any thoughts or suggestions

Thanks

Rob

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:47 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Pick up cutting out help!!!!
I'm having the exact same issue with my Railboard. Temporary fix: for some reason, the bass side only cuts out in stereo mode--when I switch to mono it's back to full strength (but in mono of course).

I popped off the pickup and sent it back to SE. Emmett took a look at it and couldn't find anything wrong; he suggested mounting the pickup carefully to make sure that no wires were being crunched / shorted. They aren't, so I'll be sending my whole instrument back to SE for a checkup.

Lee

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:08 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Spent the afternoon having a Canadian Stick camp at Kev-C s place. What fun and beer too. :D I did not have any drop outs with the volume at his place or non that we could detect so maybe its my Berringer Mixer. Ill try going from my interface and skipping the mixer and seeing if that helps. Its a mystery. Cant see why it would be the pick up. thought with the phantom power that if the jack was a bit loose the phantom power would cause a volume drop if voltage dropped. Off to experiment and see what else it might be.

Website robgellner.com

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:45 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Uh-oh. Behringer. Replace it, bud...

I have not seen people have any success with that brand on anything, dude... Cold solder joints everywhere, stuff just doesn't work.

Sorry, just my opinion. I hate the stuff...

Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:01 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I have three Behringer MIC-100 tube pre-amps that I use with RODE NT1A studio mics. I like them very much. They make one hot mic that picks up everything. If I scratch my head, the mic picks it up. It even picks up me breathing. Very cool...

Hey, I never thought of trying a Stick with one of these. This could be UBER COOL!

Jayesskerr wrote:
I have not seen people have any success with that brand on anything, dude...
Cold solder joints everywhere, stuff just doesn't work. Sorry, just my opinion. I hate the stuff...

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:13 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:

I have not seen people have any success with that brand on anything, dude... Cold solder joints everywhere, stuff just doesn't work.

Sorry, just my opinion. I hate the stuff...

Berhinger is like the lottery I think! I have had a few pieces of their stuff that was terrible but others that are rock solid! My powered speakers are 15" woofers that I've had and gigged with for years without any problems, same with my 12 channel mixer. However a line mixer and compressor I had from them were a nightmare.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol if Behringer is the lottery, then me and everyone I know have lost it... Well, wait. That's not true. I had a Behringer Xenyx mixer that worked really, really well. I ended up selling it because I was afraid it was going to wait to not work until I needed it... And I do know a few people who use the stuff and are happy.

But not me, I like you guys but I will not waiver!

Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:08 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I still have to set myset up after retruning from Kevins house. Ill mess with the mixer. who knows.

Website robgellner.com

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:27 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Sputnik wrote:
I'm having the exact same issue with my Railboard. Temporary fix: for some reason, the bass side only cuts out in stereo mode--when I switch to mono it's back to full strength (but in mono of course).

I popped off the pickup and sent it back to SE. Emmett took a look at it and couldn't find anything wrong; he suggested mounting the pickup carefully to make sure that no wires were being crunched / shorted. They aren't, so I'll be sending my whole instrument back to SE for a checkup.

Lee

I also have these issues sometimes, not regulary.....
In Mono it works all the time

3 players with the same problems..... In my testing it seems, that the R Block has some "incompatibility" with some devices.

Are other Railboard Users have this problems?
Gerald

Railboard MR #6549
Grand Stick Classic #1697

Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:28 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I practice with a Fishman Loudbox Performer, which is stellar. When this problem surfaced, I plugged the RB into the next available amp...a little Behringer (Europort MPA40 BT) which has worked great for over a year. Hmmm...

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:34 am