It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

MIDI Foot Controller 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: MIDI Foot Controller
I thought the same thing Dean. I'd try it but I'd need some effects to try it with

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:47 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
earthgene wrote:
Yes, I use a Gordius Little Giant to control a shitload of stuff inside my AxeFxII. Nothing but awesome.

Does the Gordius have an expression pedal input? I was surprised that wasn't built into the main unit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Have used a number of these types of setups for years for Guitar and Stick rigs.

My "big rig" these days is similar to Per's. AxeFXII controlled by a Fractal Audio MFC-101 with expression pedals. There is practically no tone or gig this rig can't handle.

My "light and simple" rig is a Fractal Audio AX-8 with one expression pedal.

With both of these, I can have my guitar and both sides of the Stick plugged in at the same time. Each preset determines which inputs are being processed, so switching instruments is a breeze.

In the past, I used various preamps and FX rack units with a Midi Mate (did not hold up over time) and a Ground Control Pro (built like a freaking tank). Also used a Yamaha controller for a while (good quality but a pain to program).

In all cases, it's well worth the effort to learn midi and control your system with it. The ability to step on one button and have multiple things turn on and off, adjust volumes, change eq curves, switch inputs etc. etc. let's you think about the song and not about which individual stomp box is on or off.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:50 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

earthgene wrote:
Does the Gordius have an expression pedal input?

No, it has FOUR!

On some jobs I have used four expression pedals, but most of the time I do better with just one expression pedal. But then I set up the rig with alternative patches that all have unique processes allocated to that pedal. I'm just finding that smoother to perform with, since the pedal stays at the same spot and you simply kick a new switch on the main box for a patch with the particular expression pedal functionality you want to use. That way you also get an informative text in the Gordius display, which can be helpful to you short-time memory, if also goofing around with a lot of other live electronics on the side.

Edit:
The Little Giant model, that I have, is currently discontinued, while developer Xavier is working out a new ("and even better") model. In case you are not in a hurry and looking for the most powerful MIDI pedal solution it might make sense to wait and see how this goes (Xavier runs a great user support mailing list). I love the Gordius because it is all programmable and can do nearly anything you might imagine (even generating sweeps, if you have a use for slow fading in/out or filter adjustments etc in your rig). There is a nice computer app for editing the pedal and I used that to make my LG display text as well as turn on/off leds to show the state of differnent things (like "amp B distortion", looper state, tempo etc etc)

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great post Per, thank you.

By chance does anyone have any experience with the Behringer FCB1010 midi pedal? Just wondering.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

[quote="Scronk"]Great post Per, thank you.
By chance does anyone have any experience with the Behringer FCB1010 midi pedal? Just wondering.
[ /quote]
Yes, I've owned three of them. Each unit lasted me exactly three years, until the switches started breaking down. After nine years I realized it would be cheaper to go for the more expensive Gordius, that doesn't break down and allows fixing with normal spare parts in case some accident should happen.

One issue with the FCB1010, than might be good to know about, is that they leak out random MidI CC values now and then; besides what you have programmed it to do. Twas no big issue for me as I slapped a MIDI filter on the line. Nevertheless I enjoy every day now when I don't have to think about workarounds like that

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks again Per. Is there an expression pedal you like? I was thinking of getting a double expression pedal so I can drive midi stuff as well as Moog gear. Any thoughts?

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Scronk wrote:
Thanks again Per. Is there an expression pedal you like? I was thinking of getting a double expression pedal so I can drive midi stuff as well as Moog gear. Any thoughts?

I like the small Rolands for packing gear on flights etc but for close gigs I like the Moog best because it has a stereo jack, rather than a cable fixed to the pedal as Roland. That opens up for unserting a killswitch pedal right by the expr pedal, and I sometimes find that useful

Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery