It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 pm

JBL EON One 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: JBL EON One
[quote="Robstafarian"]Consider making the trip out to Mesa to see Joseph Hawley of JHawk Customs, which is now part of Greenboy Audio. You might be able to arrange to visit for a demo, running your rig through one of his power amps and demo cabs.

On this note I will soon be going out to Perkasie PA to Scabbeyroad studio and visit with Paul there to try out a Fearless F112. He's a Greenboy builder and can't wait to hear a Stick thru it! (me also). The F112 on YouTube kicks ass (and blows competition away...really)

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:
Rob, any thoughts on acoustic dampening fillers in your speaker cabinets?

You mean “damping.” This is the relevant page from the fEARful site.

My personal take is that I want my equipment to best represent my playing, within the limits of my budget, and a 12″ fEARful and a power amp is not much more expensive than the powered PA speakers mentioned here. The modularity of that solution will reduce the cost of equipment failure.

This may answer why the custom cab I had built for me years back by a different builder was a bit brittle sounding on my Grand. Same Eminence 10" speaker, 6" and an adjustable tweeter. On my bass and NS, it worked fine, but not so well with the melody side of my Stick. Not sure there was much in the way of foam described on the GB site, but the description they give of what it would sound like without the foam is spot on with what I experienced. Thanks for sharing.

The Epiphani amps Steve Adelson has me intrigued as well, custom built speaker. But for now I'm staying with the PA to focus on playing, as I have a new guitar on the way coming at the end of the year. With everything dialed in good, no need for me to experiment with more amps. Like Olivier pointed out with his need, I went the PA route based on a live performance that went really well sound wise, I'd rather focus on playing now.

I'd like to see one of those GB's as well. Noticed there's a guy here in Michigan with a side-business building these about 1.5 hours from my house near Fort Custer RA where I sometimes go riding at. Looks like he performs as well, I'll have to watch his FB page and catch one of his shows or swap meets.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:24 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

MichNS wrote:
This may answer why the custom cab I had built for me years back by a different builder was a bit brittle sounding on my Grand. Same Eminence 10" speaker, 6" and an adjustable tweeter. On my bass and NS, it worked fine, but not so well with the melody side of my Stick. Not sure there was much in the way of foam described on the GB site, but the description they give of what it would sound like without the foam is spot on with what I experienced. Thanks for sharing.

Low Down Sound has been creating inaccurate clones of Greenboy's designs (dubbed “nEARfuls” by those who respect Greenboy) for years: in fact, Low Down Sound is one reason why Greenboy established his list of Authorized Builders. Your cab could not have had a crossover which Greenboy designed, as none of the fEARful designs uses a 10″ woofer and the Fearless designs are not public.
MichNS wrote:
I'd like to see one of those GB's as well. Noticed there's a guy here in Michigan with a side-business building these about 1.5 hours from my house near Fort Custer RA where I sometimes go riding at. Looks like he performs as well, I'll have to watch his FB page and catch one of his shows or swap meets.

It sounds like you might be talking about Dave at Gigmaster Soundworks, who is an Authorized Builder.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:55 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

That's the guy by the Fort.

Sorry, you were looking at a 12" speaker. Not a 10". The cabinet that was built for me was per my request, so I don't see how he copied anything from Greenboy. I've experienced the same result from Acoustic Image amps as well as another acoustic guitar combo amp with a 6" midrange speaker with a tweeter. My Grand is graphite, which adds a bit to the upper end. Let's refrain from any LDS complaints here, Don has a few friends on this board from Michigan to Australia, don't need to wreck this thread. Not my fight :)

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:34 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

First Time I've ever heard of the Greenboy - Fearful design(s).

Interesting stuff here! Thanks for mentioning this.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery