It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 MOD DUO 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: MOD DUO
It's cool that Stick pedalboards are plainly in evidence on the Duo web site. Very helpful for folks like me with limited experience crafting a tone. KEEP UPLOADING MORE OF YOUR PEDALBOARDS, FOLKS! :D

Though it could be a worthwhile idea, I don't know that we necessarily need a "Stick-Duo Standard Practices" list. However I'd like to ask- has a standard channel assignment been agreed upon by the Duo-Stickists? I have been using Channel 1 for the melody side and Channel 2 for the bass side, but at least one pedalboard I've loaded and played with uses opposite assignments.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:40 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Skydiver wrote:
Jzzb8ovn wrote:
THanks Dean Those sold me Im a convert now. Now I have to save my canadian tire money and order one from germany. Any suppliers in Michigan sell these?

Right now it's just direct sales from Berlin. They use DHL and it depends on how they feel at the time of the shipment on how fast you get it... It's all about saving cost. It seems that most people get them in about 2 weeks for the US/Canada. But sometime DHL decides to put it on a boat and it takes a little longer...

90 day money back guarantee! (Shipping not included...) But still!!...

The duo is what you want it to be. Something that isn't discussed much is the MIDI input and the sound generator plugins. However, the some of the synth engines, especially the sample base ones, use a lot of CPU. At NAMM they had a Godin guitar that has a Fishman Tripleplay built into it and had the dongle plugged directly into the Duo. I wonder if the tripleplay will work on my melody side...

I've been using my MIDI stick and Godin Multiac via a GI-10 to access the synth generators. Most of them are okay on the CPU but a couple (one in particular) are really heavy and basically have to be used on their own.

Most of the generators so far are built on the GM sound format which are okay but a bit cheezy, the really flexible ones are the CPU eaters. None of them are as flexible as a regular VSTi synth.

Tracking is variable but mostly okay if you set your interface correctly. Not as forgiving as a Roland guitar synth, but then not much is.

Cheers,

Tim

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gusset wrote:
It's cool that Stick pedalboards are plainly in evidence on the Duo web site. Very helpful for folks like me with limited experience crafting a tone. KEEP UPLOADING MORE OF YOUR PEDALBOARDS, FOLKS! :D

Though it could be a worthwhile idea, I don't know that we necessarily need a "Stick-Duo Standard Practices" list. However I'd like to ask- has a standard channel assignment been agreed upon by the Duo-Stickists? I have been using Channel 1 for the melody side and Channel 2 for the bass side, but at least one pedalboard I've loaded and played with uses opposite assignments.

I've been using input 1 for Bass and input 2 for Melody...

I think Jeremy Cubert has been doing the same.

Other users of the MOD DUO please chime in on your preference... It would be cool to agree on a standard so that it's easier to share pedalboards. (but it's not too hard to fix it once downloaded either... I'm lazy... :roll: )

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yep same - 1 for melody and 2 for bass. Synth - not sure yet....

cheers.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

How's the quality of the headphone output? Reasonable? I'm considering one of these, but I've often been disappointed in the headphone outputs of otherwise high-quality gear. It seems like the headphone amp is sort of an afterthought on a lot of equipment....

Just curious - thanks!

--Jeff

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Although it's not MOD DUO, I run my PODX3 1 melody 2 bass. Always have.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Dean...heavy GAS sigh... I just bought an NS/Stick because of you (actually because it's awesome, but still your fault!), and the following is a copy-and-paste from an actual e-mail conversation Jayesskerr and I were having this afternoon:

Steve
I also need a complete effects rack. I have NOTHING in the way of onboard hardware that isn't my PC or its interface. Plus my Fishman acoustic guitar amp. I'd really like to get one master thing to rule them all. Is the Mod Duo what I'm looking for? You know I love the onboard effects and amp-sims and cabinet sims. Maybe the Mod Duo would do all that for me....

I like the mod Duo. Maybe it plus a foot controller as well. Guess it doesn't matter what you get as long as it's MIDI controller capable. I need a whammy pedal, something with lots of buttons and knobs. But I think a controller plus the Mod Duo makes a heck of a lot of sense for small and compact.

So I need 3 things actually:

1. An all-in-one effects box
2. Something to control it footwise
3. And a looper.

I eventually want pitch to MIDI, but maybe the MOD DUO can do that with the right software. Is there one product that would do all that for me, that I also shouldn't wait until the next big new thing comes along?

Scott
The Mod Duo has a simple looper built in… plus two separate signal paths… plus every effect known to man… plus amp sims…

Steve
What do you control the Mod Duo with? there's only like two buttons.

Scott
I think a combination of hitting the buttons together, as well as banking them separately. And of course, added midi controllers could be added, an expression pedal, etc etc.

So Dean, I'm going to sit down and read through these 8 pages and get caught up. I'm starting with little to no guitar effects hardware or controllers. I think the Mod Duo + some controller to be also named might be my solution. What do you think?

[reads furiously....]

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm all caught up on this thread, and watched Dean's 30-minute video.

Excellent work, Dean and the rest of the guys who fleshed this thread out. Now, to some specific, targeted questions:

1. I saw mentions of a Mod Duo foot pedal/controller thingy to come. Any word on that? (See # 2 above: "A something to control it footwise"). I looked at the Keith Mcmillen SoftStep page and was intrigued but no whammy pedal :(

2. While watching your video, I was worried about the drop in CPU when running too much onto it. At $650, I guess you could get more than one, but the point was to have one device to rule it all. How does it compare to say a Macbook Pro? (see next point, really, for a better question).

3. What ARE the specs for it, chip and memory-wise?

4. There's a banner at the website to order one that inputs a discount code. You wouldn't happen to know the magic word that might get me a discount on one, would you?

That'll do for now. I'm gonna stalk the MOD Duo website a little more. Cheers!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

jluebke wrote:
How's the quality of the headphone output? Reasonable? I'm considering one of these, but I've often been disappointed in the headphone outputs of otherwise high-quality gear. It seems like the headphone amp is sort of an afterthought on a lot of equipment....

It's been a couple days with no response, so I'll give my observations.

I have no problems using the headphone output for general practice through my cheap headphones (AKG HP40s), but what I hear through them is different from what I hear through my combo amp's speakers. When I change pedalboards, there's much less of a difference through the headphones than there is through my amp. Maybe decent headphones would work well for tone sculpting, but I definitely wouldn't use mine.

Headphone volume is moderate- good enough to practice, but it doesn't go to 11.

It sounds like you have pretty high expectations of the headphone output, and my guess is that the Duo probably won't meet them. I have no insight to the design team's challenges, but just looking at how much is crammed into such a small size, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they found it cost/space/thermally prohibitive to design a really good headphone amp into the product.

Hope that helps!

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:52 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well, I have definitely got some pretty serious interest in this device. Cool thread, guys. Gotta get rid of all that extra money somehow, eh?

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:10 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next