It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 MOD DUO 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: MOD DUO
paigan0 wrote:
I'm all caught up on this thread, and watched Dean's 30-minute video.

Excellent work, Dean and the rest of the guys who fleshed this thread out. Now, to some specific, targeted questions:

1. I saw mentions of a Mod Duo foot pedal/controller thingy to come. Any word on that? (See # 2 above: "A something to control it footwise"). I looked at the Keith Mcmillen SoftStep page and was intrigued but no whammy pedal :(

2. While watching your video, I was worried about the drop in CPU when running too much onto it. At $650, I guess you could get more than one, but the point was to have one device to rule it all. How does it compare to say a Macbook Pro? (see next point, really, for a better question).

3. What ARE the specs for it, chip and memory-wise?

4. There's a banner at the website to order one that inputs a discount code. You wouldn't happen to know the magic word that might get me a discount on one, would you?

That'll do for now. I'm gonna stalk the MOD Duo website a little more. Cheers!

Thanks for watching the video! I hope it gave some clarification but it was really about how I use it. I will try and answer your questions the best that I can...

1. They are still working on the foot controllers which will plug in using CAT5 cable. The real advantage to the upcoming controllers is that it will have communications both ways so that the screen on the footswitch will show what it's assigned to. The other advantage it that it's not restricted to the 175(?) steps and so the expression pedal can be much more smooth. But at the end of the day, I think, the MIDI footswitches out in the market are good enough. I'm planning to build my own Midi footswitch using Arduino. (I can use anyone's help on this... but it's supposed to be pretty easy...) If you want an expression pedal for the duo the KMI Softstep does accept expression pedal and I use the Roland EV-5. For whammy you can assign it to the pitch shifting plugin (uses a lot of CPU... so I just use my Digitech Whammy pedal. I will address CPU in #2 below) I also came across the Audiofront Midi Expression as well. http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php Since the DUO can take USB Midi it should work.

2. For me the biggest issue is the CPU limitations but I have soooo many effects going on at one time it's amazing how much it can do. I have to be creative on how to approach my goals and have to make some decisions for live playing because some of the things I do you just won't hear it... especially live. For recording I may record each side of the stick separately to get the best detail.
The Duo was designed with the intention of being able to offer hardware updates by having the CPU on a separate card inside the unit. When they get to that point it will be a simple thing where you open the bottom and swap out a card. It's a while before they get to that but it's in the pipeline. They are taking it step by step. There is a major firmware update coming very soon...
It would be kind of an Apples-to-Oranges comparison with the macbook but processor wise the Duo is much less. I have a mac mini (quad i7) and I have been able to run multiple amp sims plus effects with no issues using Mainstage. However, I just wasn't comfortable taking my computer on stage. Duo is rugged and stable. Computer setups can be plagued with compatibility issues with converters and the DUO takes this out of the equation. Also the Duo is open source so there are just so many more effects available, currently about 200 available, and if you are comfortable with working with "unstable" (plugins which just haven't been through MOD's extreme vetting process :lol: ) there are another 400 available. I've been using these "unstable" plugins with no issues. If you are a hacker then there are many more LV2 plugins you can try.

3. The current processor is AllWinner A20 Dual Core ARM v7 at 1GHz.

4. There was a discount code last month... I've asked to see if there is a new one... I will post it if I hear of one...

The MOD DUO is not for everyone. It would be impossible...
It does everything I NEED for my Stick. I have a lot of WANTS and usually can't just because of CPU usage... but hopefully that will be eliminated soon...
I hope to use another DUO for vocal effects and sound generation. We will see...

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Updated the above post with the current processor.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I appreciate all the info, Dean. I've been a busy boy this morning, doing a bunch of research, and picking Jayesskerr's vast guitar-hardware brain and lore.

I just picked up the Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010 for $150, which will let me use most if not all of my software-based effects suites: my NI Guitar Rig, Pro Tool's SansAmp and also Eleven Rack, and then Waves' GTR3. I can create the equivalent of Mainstage on my Pro Tools, with a track for each side of the Stick and then I can stack as many plugins on top of it all as I want. It'll all run from either my Mac Mini with another display, or my MacBook Pro (which I gave to my 11-year old son, but I could borrow it if I needed to for a live setting. And one day, I'll get another MCP, if they'll stop taking off all the ports). I really like all the open source plugin availability and the power to chain things the way you want, but I can do all that in Pro Tools as well. A MacBook Pro is almost as portable as the MOD Duo, and I can easily add the MD to my setup down the road. The controller I can use now with all of my existing software.

So, whether I get a GT001 or GT100, or a MOD Duo next, I'm set with my effects expression controller needs now.

I think I might wait a bit on the MOD Duo until the processor upgrades a bit. The ARM 7's are a nice power-saving chip, but the benchmark on them is pretty low compared to a quad-core i7 like in my 2012 Mac Mini, or even the dual-core i7 like the one in my MCP. At only 1 GHz for the ARMs, it's hard to compare (at all) with a quad-core, 8-thread chip running at 3.5 GHz or so. You gain in the power consumption and portability--and cheapness--of the ARM chips, but at the cost of quickly pegging them if you throw too much at them (like virtual synths). Easily fixed with a swappable card upgrade (or if you can roll your own Linux box with inputs and outputs and then somehow add software to make it a Hackintosh MOD Duo, or a HackMod Duo). I just made up "HackMOD Duo," and no disrespect against the fine engineers and creators of the MOD Duo.

Thanks so much for the patience and the info, Dean. Also the excellent videos. With a processor upgrade, I'd be sorely tempted to get one. I'll keep an eye out for this one!

Cheers!

SS

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I hear the FCB-1010 is good but I hear it's a bit tedious to program... Just what I heard... I have no experience with it.

I really like Mainstage. It's just like a DAW and you can stack as many things as you want. Just not ready to take a computer on stage... get dropped or dump beer on it...
I think that it's possible to take the DUO platform and put it on your own Linux box. I think someone mentioned it on the DUO Forum [url]forum.moddevices.com[/url]

I don't blame you for waiting for the updated processor. It is a limitation that Stick players will come across. I've heard that the same limitation presents itself on the Axe FX and POD HD.

I keep seeing the line between effects and computer and recording keep getting blurred... very interesting!

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Skydiver wrote:
I hear the FCB-1010 is good but I hear it's a bit tedious to program... Just what I heard... I have no experience with it.

It is supposed to be a bit hard to program, but there are also EPROM chips for $30 you can buy that are pre-configured for 11 different major effect box manufacturers (10 plus one generic one that covers a multitude). Without proper configuring or the pre-configured chip, you can only advance through presets, not turn off individual effects. With proper config, you can use 5 buttons to control 5 different effects off and on--like a true stomp box pedal board-- and then have 5 buttons for presets. And two expression pedals for anything you want. I found a webpage that walks you through the laborious setting up with Guitar Rig process, which is what I'll mainly use it for.
Skydiver wrote:
I think that it's possible to take the DUO platform and put it on your own Linux box. I think someone mentioned it on the DUO Forum [url]forum.moddevices.com[/url]

Yep, I saw a whole thread on that. It's a bit too much on the Linux programming side for me to want to develop myself, but I'd love to download someone else's port and install it. So maybe down the road. https://forum.moddevices.com/t/simulati ... -pc/660/23
Skydiver wrote:
I keep seeing the line between effects and computer and recording keep getting blurred... very interesting!
And the processor in your phone is a supercomputer as well! I've used the IRIG IK Amplitude stuff on my iPhone for several years now. A great way to practice and the amp and cabinet sims are really good! As computers get even more powerful, all you need are accessories, like a mic and a plug for your guitar, and your coffeemaker of 2020 will probably easily outpace the MOD Duo of today. Plus, "the future is already here--it's just not evenly distributed yet." Or affordable.

Thanks for the talk, Dean. You rock! And keep rocking!

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I wish there was a thumbs up thing for acknowledging posts...

This comment is a thumbs up for Steve's post above... :lol:

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Steve, I can accept your concern that 10-20 plugins in a virtual pedalboard (or more if you stay away from cab sims) won't meet your ambitious goals, even if I find myself scratching my head at it just a little.

paigan0 wrote:
A MacBook Pro is almost as portable as the MOD Duo

...but somebody's gotta call you out on this one, man. That's just crazy... ;-)

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:43 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

paigan0 wrote:
Skydiver wrote:

It is supposed to be a bit hard to program, but there are also EPROM chips for $30 you can buy that are pre-configured for 11 different major effect box manufacturers (10 plus one generic one that covers a multitude). Without proper configuring or the pre-configured chip, you can only advance through presets, not turn off individual effects. With proper config, you can use 5 buttons to control 5 different effects off and on--like a true stomp box pedal board-- and then have 5 buttons for presets. And two expression pedals for anything you want. I found a webpage that walks you through the laborious setting up with Guitar Rig process, which is what I'll mainly use it for.

A stock FCB1010 can do much more than just preset switching. Each switch can send 5 program changes, 2 CC’s (or 1 CC toggle), MIDI note, and output via switch jacks - simultaneously. I don't recall how it worked out of the box, it's possible that it is just program changes as shipped.

Programming it using only the unit is not difficult, but definitely a bit tedious. Since it has various options per switch, you have to cycle through each option using the switches to make selections. If you know what you want, it’s not too bad to spend a bit of time sitting down with it and programming it, then doing a SysEx dump to your computer so you have a backup.

I’ve used the iFCB software, it makes it super easy to program (Behringer firmware only).

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:46 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Claire wrote:
A stock FCB1010 can do much more than just preset switching. Each switch can send 5 program changes, 2 CC’s (or 1 CC toggle), MIDI note, and output via switch jacks - simultaneously. I don't recall how it worked out of the box, it's possible that it is just program changes as shipped.

Programming it using only the unit is not difficult, but definitely a bit tedious. Since it has various options per switch, you have to cycle through each option using the switches to make selections. If you know what you want, it’s not too bad to spend a bit of time sitting down with it and programming it, then doing a SysEx dump to your computer so you have a backup.

I’ve used the iFCB software, it makes it super easy to program (Behringer firmware only).
Claire, that was super duper helpful. Mine arrives tomorrow. I will definitely get IFCB as well. Thanks so much for your timely comments and info. I didn't realize that there was a community working on this controller as well.

Gusset wrote:
Steve, I can accept your concern that 10-20 plugins in a virtual pedalboard (or more if you stay away from cab sims) won't meet your ambitious goals, even if I find myself scratching my head at it just a little.

paigan0 wrote:
A MacBook Pro is almost as portable as the MOD Duo

...but somebody's gotta call you out on this one, man. That's just crazy... ;-)
I hear you, but if you're just playing at your kids school or at a work setting, or in my case, just rocking out with the Stick guys at Oz Music once a month, a MacBookPro is pretty darned portable. Steve Balogh (McihNS) rocks a laptop of some sort, as well as a Line 6 Helix or Pod or whichever is the fancy expensive all-in-one unit. My point is, it's portable enough for me.

But I do hear you, and your portability needs are different than mine. But an aluminum MCP when it's closed and still running, has a small form factor and can easily run out of sight and out of mind. And you can put them in beer-proof containers and cases, I hear. ;) 8-hour battery, too!

But still, my blanket statement was a bit....thick. ;)

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Steve has gas!

I myself am quite interested in the Mod Duo, but I also find myself interested in a "Mainstage" setup with a MacBook, maybe with a Apogee Gio controller or something.

I gotta stay the hell away from you guys, y'all are a bad influence... :D

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:30 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next