It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 MOD DUO 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: MOD DUO
Dean,

Thanks for posting the videos, great info and walkthrough on how the pedal works.

Have you experimented much with creating some more atmospheric delay/modulation/reverb effects? I recently started building a new Stick & guitar pedalboard, and I'm considering purchasing all of the "Big 3" Strymon pedals at some point. I'm already set with my Two Notes tube preamp pedals, so considering a Mod Duo purchase would probably end up using it primarily for delay, reverb, and modulation effects. And perhaps some cab simulation at least for the bass side.

The ability to create midi pads from an analog signal in line with other effects also appears to be an amazingly cool feature for Stickists, especially because I think the Stick works well in a keyboard sort of role for certain styles of music.

Do you think this unit has the processing power and sound quality to at least come close to something like a Strymon or an Eventide H9? Part of me is really intrigued by it, but another part of me is slightly intimated by the blank slate nature of it that would cause me to get lost or frustrated trying to find the sounds I wanted.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:20 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

TappistRT wrote:
Dean,

Thanks for posting the videos, great info and walkthrough on how the pedal works.

Have you experimented much with creating some more atmospheric delay/modulation/reverb effects? I recently started building a new Stick & guitar pedalboard, and I'm considering purchasing all of the "Big 3" Strymon pedals at some point. I'm already set with my Two Notes tube preamp pedals, so considering a Mod Duo purchase would probably end up using it primarily for delay, reverb, and modulation effects. And perhaps some cab simulation at least for the bass side.

The ability to create midi pads from an analog signal in line with other effects also appears to be an amazingly cool feature for Stickists, especially because I think the Stick works well in a keyboard sort of role for certain styles of music.

Do you think this unit has the processing power and sound quality to at least come close to something like a Strymon or an Eventide H9? Part of me is really intrigued by it, but another part of me is slightly intimated by the blank slate nature of it that would cause me to get lost or frustrated trying to find the sounds I wanted.

Thanks for watching the videos.
I may not be the best to answer things regarding atmospheric stuff... but I will try and answer the best that I can.

Check out [url]pedalboards.moddevices.com/plugins[/url] where all the current plugins are listed. If you have any programming experience you can make your own or upload other lv2 plugins on your own. The ones listed here have been tested by MOD and are "stable". If you upload your own then it lists it as "unstable"... I have a couple of these but have no issues...
You may find a plugin here and if someone posted a pedalboard using it you may be able to hear an example of it...
The ShiroVerb is a shimmer reverb. Shiro (the developer) has made some very nice ambient things. Here are pedalboards that use the shiroverb: https://pedalboards.moddevices.com/?plugin_uri=https%3A//github.com/ninodewit/SHIRO-Plugins/plugins/shiroverb&plugin_label=Shiroverb

There is so much you can do with the Duo... HOWEVER... if you are looking for a dedicated reverb like the Strymon... you just can't beat it. Those pedals are built to do what they do from hardware to software. Those will have the most amazing processing and give you so much for that dedicated effect. This is the tradeoff of having a software driven unit versus dedicated hardware.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Skydiver wrote:
TappistRT wrote:
Dean,

Thanks for watching the videos.
I may not be the best to answer things regarding atmospheric stuff... but I will try and answer the best that I can.

Check out [url]pedalboards.moddevices.com/plugins[/url] where all the current plugins are listed. If you have any programming experience you can make your own or upload other lv2 plugins on your own. The ones listed here have been tested by MOD and are "stable". If you upload your own then it lists it as "unstable"... I have a couple of these but have no issues...
You may find a plugin here and if someone posted a pedalboard using it you may be able to hear an example of it...
The ShiroVerb is a shimmer reverb. Shiro (the developer) has made some very nice ambient things. Here are pedalboards that use the shiroverb: https://pedalboards.moddevices.com/?plugin_uri=https%3A//github.com/ninodewit/SHIRO-Plugins/plugins/shiroverb&plugin_label=Shiroverb

There is so much you can do with the Duo... HOWEVER... if you are looking for a dedicated reverb like the Strymon... you just can't beat it. Those pedals are built to do what they do from hardware to software. Those will have the most amazing processing and give you so much for that dedicated effect. This is the tradeoff of having a software driven unit versus dedicated hardware.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll look at those plugins a bit more. Are all of the plugins open source, and can they be loaded into a DAW for experimentation?

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:56 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Dean now you have me obsessing over this mod duo. It is very pricy so Im going tho have to think long and hard about this. I want ambient type stuff I guess like TappistRT so a selling point would be if it has nice sounding plugins. The shimmer sounds great. Not finding a lot of video on line of it being used in a setting other than distortion which I don't see myself using too much at this point. Can the Mod Duo be set up with multiple pedal boards and then on a gig you can choose between them or do you load up only on board at a time?

By the way Ive been watching all your videos interviews and reviews and they are all great. Keep it up.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:20 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Dean, thanks for your cheerleading on this, and taking the time to record the videos.

Currently I've settled on two pedals (Zoom multi-fx on each side) and a mixer as my entire signal chain, with the mixer sending a mono signal to a combo bass amp. The Zooms have 1 Mohm input impedance, so though I'm not sure it's appropriate, they're my functional DIs.

Relatively portable, quick set up.

Could a Duo replace this in its entirety? I couldn't find input impedance for it, so I don't know if a DI is needed, and i am not sure from what video content I've viewed whether the Duo can adequately fill the role of the mixer.

I guess I'm asking if a Duo, a Stick cable, an instrument cable, and a combo amp could be my entire rig, or if something else is needed.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:54 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

TappistRT wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll look at those plugins a bit more. Are all of the plugins open source, and can they be loaded into a DAW for experimentation?

The plugins are open source written in lv2. (I'm just repeating what I hear... I'm not a programmer and this stuff if over my head... :roll: ) You may find more information on the new website http://www.moddevices.com or on the forum https://forum.moddevices.com/
Also check out their github forum https://github.com/moddevices

From what I understand you can get the source code and use it in an open source DAW or even configure your computer to test them out. But this is over my technical know-how...
I guess if you are a linux user it may be pretty simple...

Good luck!

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
Dean now you have me obsessing over this mod duo. It is very pricy so Im going tho have to think long and hard about this. I want ambient type stuff I guess like TappistRT so a selling point would be if it has nice sounding plugins. The shimmer sounds great. Not finding a lot of video on line of it being used in a setting other than distortion which I don't see myself using too much at this point. Can the Mod Duo be set up with multiple pedal boards and then on a gig you can choose between them or do you load up only on board at a time?

By the way Ive been watching all your videos interviews and reviews and they are all great. Keep it up.

Thanks for watching the videos! It's so nice to hear and keeps me motivated.

The Duo can be set up with multiple pedalboards. So you can set one up for each song and set up a "set list" and then scroll through them. At this time there are two issues with this... If you use it in that mode you lose the use of the footswitches because they get used for scrolling through the pedalboards. The second issue is that I have heard that the load time for the pedalboards can take some time. (I personally have not used this mode so I don't have personal experience in it...)

The first issue is not an issue if you have an external midi footswitch (I have the KM Softstep plugged into the USB A port) or have the up-coming footswitch that MOD is coming out with.
The second issue with the load time is being worked on. I haven't tested it out myself but I have read forum posts about it being a bit too long. I will give it a try and let you know what I find out. As you know I have pretty involved pedalboards so it would probably take a while to load... but will report back...

Something that I am looking forward to is a "scene" mode that they are working on. It will take a snapshot of all the settings on the pedalboard and the player will be able to scroll through the "scenes" quickly. I've used a function like this on the TC-Helicon Voicelive 3 Extreme. It was nice to just hit one button to turn on/off multiple effects and change settings with one footswich when going into the next part of a song like chorus or verse or whatever...
I'm pretty simple, in the way that I have only a few tones that I stick with so I will probably set up my pedalboard with a clean and a dirty tone...
Can't wait to see this update.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gusset wrote:
I guess I'm asking if a Duo, a Stick cable, an instrument cable, and a combo amp could be my entire rig, or if something else is needed.

If I may answer this--yes, that stuff is all you need. The unit mixes both inputs to one signal, in mono or stereo. You can also maintain separation of the two independant signal paths with separate outputs.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Last edited by mad_monk on Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gusset wrote:
Hi Dean, thanks for your cheerleading on this, and taking the time to record the videos.

Currently I've settled on two pedals (Zoom multi-fx on each side) and a mixer as my entire signal chain, with the mixer sending a mono signal to a combo bass amp. The Zooms have 1 Mohm input impedance, so though I'm not sure it's appropriate, they're my functional DIs.

Relatively portable, quick set up.

Could a Duo replace this in its entirety? I couldn't find input impedance for it, so I don't know if a DI is needed, and i am not sure from what video content I've viewed whether the Duo can adequately fill the role of the mixer.

Yes. The Duo can replace your setup. It's super easy to mix signals in the Duo by just plugging in the virtual cable into the same plug. I recommend putting in the Gain plugin so that you can adjust the levels as needed.
You can split and combine however you like... I usually save two pedalboards of each set up... one with bass and melody going out independently to plug into a mixer (easier for me to mix on a board than leading over and adjusting levels) and the other with bass and melody going out both outputs and I have levels for each side assigned to knobs...

I'm not sure what the input impedance is... I can ask and see. But it shouldn't be a problem since it's designed with more of a guitar/bass sensibility. And most users are guitar/bassists...

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Well, I had been un-afflicted by GAS for the past year.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:00 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next