It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:43 am

current stereo bass heads? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post current stereo bass heads?
Hi all,

So... I've been living with my beloved collection of SWR stereo bass heads for years now, but it seems they're all showing more and more signs of fatigue. It's gotten a little goofy, I actually have four in rotation between gigs, shipping to gigs and the repair shop. I think it's time to really look at what's currently out there in the world.

I run my entire rig as stereo with a Mackie mixer feeding the effects returns on the bass head to sum melody side, synth, etc. Another issue for me is fans. I love the idea of not having one (ala SWR SM-400) but have also been fine with ones that just come on when the amp gets hot (ala SWR -SM500). Fan noise is actually an issue for smaller gigs like house concerts :)

The only company I'm aware of possibly making something like this currently is Eden. Anybody using anything else?

Thanks!
Tom

Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:51 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: current stereo bass heads?
As a disclaimer, you have a much better ear than I do. I 've seen the clips. I know it to be true.

When I am playing out, I love my Eden WT-400. At the local guitar shop, I compared it to the hybrid Ampeg, and it blew the Ampeg out of the water. The fan only comes on when it runs hot, so it probably would not engage at a house concert. I never used the FX return in the way you describe, so I cannot say what would happen.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:42 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I love Demeter stuff VTBP-201-800D

Pricey but amazing

Brett

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Acoustic Image heads have no fans. They come in one or two channel configuration. I use an older Focus 2r, lots of power, lightweight, will do 2 ohms, HPF, phantom power the list goes on.....

How about the Warwick 1000? Haven't seen one in person but it may have what you need.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tim

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Well shoot I'm disappointed. I've been lusting after SWR stuff for years - I actually have a couple, and I've seen them getting more and more reasonably priced. I guess because when you put down $300 for a great SM-400 or 500, you have to pay a couple hundred more to get the capacitors or tubes changed out.

I guess I'll need to just start learning to be an amp tech, b/c I certainly can't afford to pay anyone to maintain my stuff.

I just had my Marshall JCM600 die on me. That's over $150 for tubes alone, and I don't know how to set the bias yet... I don't even have a multimeter.

I guess I should just <heavy sigh> go solid-state for everything...

R

Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Tom,

I am not following your description of your rig; however, the Carvin BX1600 might suit your purpose. It has two power amps which can be run independently, and each has its own insert loop (Effects Return>Graphic EQ>Insert Loops>Power Amps).

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:25 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

sagehalo wrote:
As a disclaimer, you have a much better ear than I do. I 've seen the clips. I know it to be true.

When I am playing out, I love my Eden WT-400. At the local guitar shop, I compared it to the hybrid Ampeg, and it blew the Ampeg out of the water. The fan only comes on when it runs hot, so it probably would not engage at a house concert. I never used the FX return in the way you describe, so I cannot say what would happen.

I play in a duo a the bass player is using this amp and a Fender Mustang bass (short scale) and his tone is just amazing.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The WTP900 is the amp to beat, although there is the fan to contend with. I've heard varying levels of satisfaction with Eden products over the years, but much the same can be said for SWR.

Would you ever consider using a Powered Bag End 15? Maybe just run a separate Pre? Just a thought.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

earthgene wrote:
The WTP900 is the amp to beat, although there is the fan to contend with. I've heard varying levels of satisfaction with Eden products over the years, but much the same can be said for SWR.

Would you ever consider using a Powered Bag End 15? Maybe just run a separate Pre? Just a thought.

I've been playing the same Eden WT-800 since 1995, and I have had my issues with it. However, the fact that I am still playing through the beast speaks to its capabilities, I suppose. I change my configuration too much, and this may have some bearing on my satisfaction with the amp... maybe not the fault of the amp. It is capable of some monstrous tones, and lots of power.

Overall, good amps. I hear the new top-line amps are very, very good.

I am still physically strong enough to sell the fucker and buy an old SUNN 2000s or vintage SVT, and I would be very happy as I prefer that tone to solid state, no matter what.

I am worse off now that I eliminated my 2x15 cab and just play through my vented Eden 4x10 cab. The power with both was truly remarkable, and the tone was great at times, but not consistent. The amp is very temperamental. I sold my SUNN 2x15 cab to a guy in NY who was recreating Noel Redding's rig. He had 5 SUNN 2x15 cabs and needed 1 more to complete it, as he already had 3 2000s heads. Jesus Christ. He needed it more than I did, I reckon.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:43 pm