It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:30 pm

Tagg Interface 

Post Tagg Interface
I've been looking for a TAGG interface ever since I first purchased and received my stick in July 2015. I was excited after seeing Free Hand Friday #74 and promptly wrote Gene on how to get one. Needless to say, I had one within a week and have been using it since. Gene was super to deal with and seem to genuinely care about how I was going to use it.

Needless to say once I started to use it I fell in love with the TAGG. I am using it along with a DW9700 cymbal stand which can be used with as a boom or straight. With it straight however, I am too short to play comfortably standing or seated. So I've ended up using the boom to lower the stick. In this configuration I found it to be amazingly stable. Playing it at home, I don't ever foresee (famous last words) it falling over (Not being a working musician, I can't say how it will hold up for an active gigging musician). Additionally with the boom extended I was able to have a Digitech GNX4 Effect pedal accessible while playing with out any concerns of it falling over.

What I like about it. Most of what i like about it is the freedom it offers. For some reason when I play the stick attached to a belt, my right hand wasn't able to move freely up and down the stick (OK, I may need to loose a little weight, but it is something I didn't like). With the TAGG, the stick is free standing so I can be as close or as far away that I want to be or for that matter sway as I play. And as Gene said, you can leave it and always walk up to it and get some quick practices in.

There are a few things that I don't like as well. For instance, when mounting it on the cymbal stand there no feed back when it is fully on. I would have expected it to stop turning once it was on (I am thinking of adding a nut to the cymbal stand to help lock it on). Once I had it on the stand and tighten the wing nut, it still rotates. I never had it rotate while playing but when i move away I sometimes do rotate it. The last thing I don't like is that it does require a different setting for playing the standing or sitting. The stand comes with some secondary locking devices which are great for a single set up, but makes it difficult to have multi-configurations for the two positions.

Fri May 13, 2016 8:20 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Tagg Interface
Hi Steve, thanks for the feedback. I have submitted this John to review. I appreciate the write up and am hopeful that saves you some time and effort.

I too would like to have a more secure locking system for the TAGG that binds it to the accessory cymbal stand. One of the improvements that was discussed was a grooved housing that would affix the TAGG to the cymbal stand. John will be running another batch of the Western Maple TAGGs in the next few weeks, please let me know if you have any questions - thanks.

Sat May 14, 2016 5:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Tagg Interface
earthgene wrote:
Hi Steve, thanks for the feedback. I have submitted this John to review. I appreciate the write up and am hopeful that saves you some time and effort.

I too would like to have a more secure locking system for the TAGG that binds it to the accessory cymbal stand. One of the improvements that was discussed was a grooved housing that would affix the TAGG to the cymbal stand. John will be running another batch of the Western Maple TAGGs in the next few weeks, please let me know if you have any questions - thanks.
I finaly got my TAMA cymbal stand from Sweetwater and put the TAGG Interface and my Rosewood together.

I also would like to have something that keeps the TAGG from spinning on the stand. I got the stand with the boom which was $89 instead of $79. I wanted to put a slight angle on the Stick so that it was leaning back, but without a nut to keep it from spinning, it won't sit right in any position except dead straight up and down. :( NOt a BIG deal, because I just wanted a few degrees of lean, but it seems simple enough to have some kind of locking screw that won't rotate freely.

Otherwise, rocking it out standing for the first time on the Sticks in several months!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu May 19, 2016 7:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery