It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 am

Best Chair 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Best Chair
As a sidebar to the Underdog announcement, what are seated Stickists using these days for chairs? Do you have one for home/studio, and a portable one for the road?

In my lessons with Greg, we keep returning to positioning of hands, arms, legs, basically everything. The right chair might reduce stress and promote better movement.

Your mileage may vary on a personal preference question like this, but any general observations?

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:39 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Best Chair
I actually went to a Staples to try out office chairs-sat in 20 before i chose one. I have back problems so it was most important. I have two now, one w/ arms one w/out. I practice in the one w/out. For gigging, I shall stand (which brings about a new set of circumstances and different Stick positioning, I use a weight belt when standing) By the way, after 20 chairs, I wound up with the least expensive one, it just "fit" me best. My advice, SHOP AROUND. (maybe even bring the Stick)

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

As a die hard proponent for playing seated I tried many chairs, stools, swiveling articulated office chairs, drum thrones that look like horse saddles and those custom made pac-a-seats w/folding legs and roadcase appointments that pedal steel players use that double as accessory storage. As a pro steel player who already has one - that might be what I use if I start gigging and want to bring my own seat cause they take the crap-shoot out of hoping to find an acceptable chair at a random location and offer totally repeatable spatial familiarity, they're so portable, practical, comfortable, you can store cables, strings, tools, pedals & stuff in them, fly them like a road case and the latest designs have power distribution, efx racks, beer coolers and some even have built-in amps and speakers.

http://www.steelseat.com/

At home tho I keep coming back to an old fashioned medium sized straight backed hardwood chair. My criterion is generally something comfortable that doesn't roll or shift around on me that my ass can deal with for several hours at a stretch.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:38 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sputnik wrote:
As a sidebar to the Underdog announcement, what are seated Stickists using these days for chairs? Do you have one for home/studio, and a portable one for the road?

In my lessons with Greg, we keep returning to positioning of hands, arms, legs, basically everything. The right chair might reduce stress and promote better movement.

Your mileage may vary on a personal preference question like this, but any general observations?

yes, this one:

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Nice....some H.R. Giger seating solutions....

Cheers,
Ripley

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I use whatever is available, and more often than not, it's too low. Bringing a folding seat that is just the right height is totally worth it. Bob does this. It's just good form to have that variable eliminated from your setup as it can effect every aspect of your playing if you are too high or too low.

The steelseat is blowing my mind. I have got to try this. Any chance you will be at the Guitar Merchant on May 27 for the FHA gig Michael? Would love to see that (would love to seat that...).

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

IMHO, the best chair is one that puts your thighs parallel to the floor, without arms, and a slight bit of cushioning.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Yeah I have a simple version - prolly 25 years old with no frills but it holds a lot of shit and the legs fold up just like the new ones. It's been around the world twice on my watch and flown as baggage at least 100 times and is still in one piece. I'll bring it.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:51 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Already gassing for a slimline steelseat with a swiveling seat, the built in power conditioner and possibly the embroidered name. I would probably put something "Esther" or "Swinging Bobby Joe" just for yucks...

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

This is where I sit these days. One of a pair of matching chairs I built to go with my Spanish style home. Performing mostly for a couple crickets that live somewhere in my library and sound off when I start shedding.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:20 pm