It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 The big pedalboard discussion 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: The big pedalboard discussion
grozoeil wrote:
After a few rehearsals, I decided to downsize rig a bit, putting the Boss MS-3 and the Disaster Area MIDI controller on sale.
Here is the last iteration :

Signals go to a Trace Elliot bass amp and Roland JC-40. Super happy with that very light and flexible set-up.

Very nice! You've had the most dizzying pedalboard I've ever seen, Boaz. :lol:

This is a nice setup, seems plenty capable.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:52 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Anyone gotten their hands on an Empress Zoia yet? Really interesting and powerful, but navigating that grid looks incredibly challenging.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:54 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Challenging, indeed!

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mcgrahamhk wrote:
I follow LA Sound Design on Facebook, and they just completed the pedalboard/rack build for Alphonso Johnson's Stick rig. You can check out more pics on FB.

I'm not a source audio superfan (you know how people get gaga about brands) or anything, but I think they do a very solid job, are very responsive/communicative and keep price point in mind (for the player AND them)

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:57 am

Hi Everyone! I am loving going through all your boards! I just finished evolving my set up again,
keep in mind I use this set up for analog synth, electric cello, bass and my primary instrument
Stick. I have a few others that come into play on the floor for certain songs that are not pictured.

I will make some demo vids this week. The lead side starts with the GR-55 out through the volume
pedal into the Fishman and through the X-Blender that blends the Replicator into the signal before
entering the Patchulator 8000. The lead then is routed mono into the Stereo X-Blender to the Echolution
and returns stereo. From there routed into the "shared" chain to the Timeline routed to the Volante. Finally
out to the Mod Rex into the Ventris into my looper RC-3

My bass side starts passing through the Super Ego for drones into the Twin Staggs dual tremolo
and through the Alien-Bass-Station. The bass then enters the Patchulator 8000 and is routed
to the Epitome returning stereo. It returns through the Patchulator and is blended into the
second stereo return of the Stereo X-Blender joining the lead (and Mopho synth stereo return 3)
to the shared chain of Timeline, Volante, Ventris, RC-3.

Hope this makes sense... little tired this morning :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun May 05, 2019 9:18 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Nice toys! I would love to hear some comparison of all those delay boxes!

Sun May 05, 2019 11:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

TappistRT wrote:
Anyone gotten their hands on an Empress Zoia yet? Really interesting and powerful, but navigating that grid looks incredibly challenging.

I have been looking into it and from everything I have seen I will be picking one up as my
next addition to my board. Just bought the Strymon Volante and a Graphite Grand Stick
in the past month so waiting a short period until I do...

Here is a link to a Youtube video that made the grid make sense to me. Very clear, easy watch...
shows him building a patch (of modules) from scratch. The grid looks intuitive after seeing this
- I was first intimidated by the layout.

Hope one of these is the proper way to link a Youtube vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMPDP64YO7E

[youtube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMPDP64YO7E[/youtube2]

Sun May 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi all, I hope you don't mind me sharing my pedal "board". More just an amorphous blob of electronics until I can build an actual board for it, which I have been intentionally putting off knowing I'm just gonna keep adding pedals to it.

I play a Warr Artist 8, and want to take advantage of the unique properties that the Warr/Stick have as dual output instruments. So, like some of the people here, my board is full stereo (or dual mono) through and through.

I use a Boss RC-3 at the beginning of my signal chain so I can loop a dry signal through the whole chain, basically letting me tweak my signal in live time without having to play anything. That goes into the EHX Platform compressor, which is a seriously neat piece of kit I would recommend to everyone here. As far as I know, it's the only stereo compressor out there. Has some pretty powerful attack shaping, which is very useful for touchstyle playing. Also has some other features like slight overdrive and swell, which are neat to have but I don't find myself really using.

The gain stage is next, and although bass and melody run through separate pedals (for more precise control over each dynamic range), they follow the same path: boost > drive > preamp > distortion > fuzz. Boost is two Fortin 33's (Fredrik Thordendal from Meshuggah's signature pedal), drive is a Fulltone OCD on melody side and Pigtronix Fat on bass, preamp is a Horizon Apex on melody and Darkglass Alpha Omega Ultra (absolutely amazing low end tone sculpting tool I might add) on bass. Distortion is a Rat Deucetone, which is a dual mono rat with 3-way circuit toggle; I run a Turbo Rat on melody and a Clean Rat on bass. Final step is a Gamechanger Plasma Pedal for both channels, which is an amazing sounding distortion/fuzz with an absurd amount of hair to it, depending on how you set it up. The weird, alien-looking octagon in the center is a Bored Brain Patchulator, a passive, entirely-stereo patch bay that is extremely useful for quickly and easily changing the routing of pedals in a signal chain without moving them physically.

The gain stage outputs to a Zoia, which I've seen some people talking about here. It's an insanely powerful piece of electronics; the ability to build effects from the ground up is as exciting as it is intimidating. The more time you put into it, the more you'll get out of it. It's easy to use, but by no means a simple or quick process. So far, my favorite use for it has been for when I want to apply an effect to just one side of my signal chain while leaving the other one intact but separate. I'm trying to come up with more creative applications for it.

After that are two maxed out H9's; between those and the Zoia, I have almost every modulation effect I could ask for. Everything goes into the Pigtronix Infinity Looper (another intimidatingly impressive piece of kit), then to the sp2 preamp, and into my rack-mounted stereo EQ, Peavey stereo power amp, and out to a pair of Peavey 4x12s.

I plan on getting a pair of Decimator G-String noise gates to put into the gain stage at some point (I'm also using the Zoia as a noise gate right now but it's not effective enough for how high of gain I run), as well as a Lehle D.Loop SGOS to drop the entire gain stage in and out for an easy clean/distorted switch with just one tap (instead of a dozen). I also want to try out the few stereo dirt pedals that have come out in the last few years, like the EHX Allied Overdrive and the Source Audio LA Lady.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:48 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Quote:
Hi all, I hope you don't mind me sharing my pedal "board"

looks very nice but one thing i would recommend for your pedalboard

GET A BOARD :)

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:33 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

WOW.... I have to say there's some incredible signal chains here, these pedal board set ups are truly amazing !!

*Not too mention that I am so behind the times, I am absolutely floored by all this modern technology which I am seeing here, thank you all for posting comments here, it's an incredible read for someone like me.

Now, I'm going to really disappoint all who see this - as I'm only looking to use one effect with my Ironwood, which is a 1970s Morley Volume pedal which is absolutely massive - but then I realized I need something with two inputs and two outputs [unless I am running my Radial combiner first..] so I am thinking that a Ernie Ball 6165 500K Stereo Volume / Pan Pedal might have to be ordered real soon... [does anyone have any experience with one of those ??]

This is not to say I'm against pedals - quite the contrary - I've lost track I have so many, including several from the 1960s - original too - but right now I'm trying to keep things pure and work the magic with my fingers.

Now - if I ever decide to go the Railboard route - which I have been considering for a while now, then you'll see a comment from me here again which might require a cup of tea to fully digest.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:22 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next