It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:43 am

Roland KC-550 for Stick? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Roland KC-550 for Stick?
Robstafarian wrote:

I am happy that you are happy with your gear, and I realize that the mic preamp in the Bose L1 Compact aids your singing

I don't use the L1's mic preamp. I use a QSC touchmix 16 with a main output plugged into the L1.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oliver, you are the first person I know of that uses the touch,is. I have been eyeing the Touchmix 8. Is it possible to run the Stick direct into Touchmix and then route the right hand through an aux into a pedal and then back into the Touchmix?

Apologies for thread high jacking.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The bottom line with any amp, as it is part of your instrument, is:

"do you like the sound?"

If so, then, it's a good amp, and cost, weight, power, number of inputs, global eq or independent channel eq, etc become deciding factors as to whether it might be right for your application.

Generally speaking, a keyboard amp that has line inputs instead of instrument inputs (different impedance) makes a poor choice if you are planning on plugging a passive pickup straight into it.

If you are using pedals or some other kind of pre-amp before the inputs, then it really doesn't matter.

The most important factor for me, besides the sound and whether it's loud enough for my application, is independent eq for each side of The Stick.

I've played through the KC-550 and like the sound. especially with the ACTV-2.

Hope that helps.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Robstafarian wrote:
rulyongo wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I gotta keep hauling a bass and a guitar amp to sound the way I want.

What is your current rig? You might be able to sell parts of your current rig and add some cash to make a new rig.

Right now I'm using an Ampeg V4B head with a 2/12 cab (I'm primarily a bassist) for the bass side and a small Roland guitar amp. My Stick has the PASV-4 pickups, but most of the time I play both sides through effects. The combination sounds good but I'm hoping to get a smaller rig for these kind of gigs. So many choices!!!

Thanks to all for your replies!!!

https://www.facebook.com/rulyongo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQk_6T ... rOoBXeHHUA

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

greg wrote:
The bottom line with any amp, as it is part of your instrument, is:

"do you like the sound?"

If so, then, it's a good amp, and cost, weight, power, number of inputs, global eq or independent channel eq, etc become deciding factors as to whether it might be right for your application.

Generally speaking, a keyboard amp that has line inputs instead of instrument inputs (different impedance) makes a poor choice if you are planning on plugging a passive pickup straight into it.

If you are using pedals or some other kind of pre-amp before the inputs, then it really doesn't matter.

The most important factor for me, besides the sound and whether it's loud enough for my application, is independent eq for each side of The Stick.

I've played through the KC-550 and like the sound. especially with the ACTV-2.

Hope that helps.

Good point! Another option, but expensive, would be getting a keyboard amp and using a Stepabout as a preamp.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

earthgene wrote:
Oliver, you are the first person I know of that uses the touch,is. I have been eyeing the Touchmix 8. Is it possible to run the Stick direct into Touchmix and then route the right hand through an aux into a pedal and then back into the Touchmix?

Apologies for thread high jacking.

Hi Gene.

The TouchMix (8 & 16) is amazing. Download the manual on QSC's website to get the full picture. Of course, you can plug the Stick directly into the unit (well at least with the ACTV 2 pickup, I haven't checked the stickup yet). There's good EQ and compression/limiting on EACH channel, which has sends to 4 assignable master effects (2 delays + 2 reverbs or 3 delays + 1 reverb, etc.). The reverbs and delays are good. Everything can be midi controlled. There are 8 aux outputs, which is more than you need to set up effects loop outside the TouchMix. Plus, there's a very handy multitrack recording function. All you need is a proper SSID drive and there you go.

The more I gig with this unit, the more I LOVE it!!

I mean, the Bose L1 plus TouchMix weighs less than 20 kilos.

;)

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

rulyongo wrote:
Right now I'm using an Ampeg V4B head with a 2/12 cab (I'm primarily a bassist) for the bass side and a small Roland guitar amp. My Stick has the PASV-4 pickups, but most of the time I play both sides through effects. The combination sounds good but I'm hoping to get a smaller rig for these kind of gigs. So many choices!!!

Thanks to all for your replies!!!

Were I in your situation, I would start by building a fEARful flat pack 12/6/1 and testing it with the Ampeg (that pairing will produce 105dB at 10 feet, before the phase inverter is overdriven). You could then add a small line mixer to run the Roland into the Ampeg's “Power Amp In” for Stick usage.

Of course, larger changes could be made thereafter if you wanted (such as a rack rig including a Tech21 SansAmp RPM for the melody side preamp, a Lexicon MX400 for effects and line mixing, and a Carvin BX1500 for the bass side preamp and unified power amp: 109dB at 10 feet with 6dB of headroom).

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:30 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanx!!!

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery