It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:02 pm

Looking for advice from the gearheads 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Looking for advice from the gearheads
I've finally decided to make the jump to a computer-based/DAW recording setup. I have done scores of scratch recordings and demos on my Zoom H4, and have gotten some decent results. However, I would like to get into something where I can turn my rough songwriting demos into actual tracks I can allow the general public to hear. Also, I would like to get something I could eventually do so video on, as well. Just YouTube videos, and the like. Nothing too crazy.

I was originally thinking about getting a Mac Book, but I am not entirely sure it's within my budget? I'm looking to spend about $1500-2000 for the computer, interface and software.

Any help would be appreciated to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Looking for advice from the gearheads
Dude; if you snag a Macbook, you snag Garageband which is an excellent starter DAW. Then, when you decide to upgrade a bit, Logic ProX talks really nicely to all of those projects in GB...

As far as bang for the buck goes, Logic ProX is VERY good. Comes with a lot more than Cubase or Protools does, as far as plugins and samples and software instruments... And easy to use? Hell yeah... Cubase can be a bit wacky what with all the ASIO crap, Abelton, ugh hurts my mind, Same with Reason. Protools, very proprietary, gotta spend a lot of money to get where you really want to be... Digital Performer isn't too bad, but...Meh. Reaper is a cheap alternative that isn't too bad... I have wasted a lot of cash on DAWS, lemme tell ya...

Just get Logic. My opinion.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:01 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I would say if you're using this computer for recording first and foremost, I'd stay away from a laptop. You will get much more for your money by putting together a desktop setup. Building a desktop PC isn't hard, and I'd think most everyone knows at least one person who is good with computers if there is any trouble.

That extra dough could easily go towards an interface, plugins, some nice monitors (speakers and screens), maybe another Stick, etc. Having multiple screens for doing any sort of computer work is an absolute dream, especially on articulated mounts.

As far as DAWs go, I've only ever used Reaper. But I've heard it pretty much comes down to personal preference, and that it's best to just learn one and stay with it.

And like anything, money vs. quality comes down to how much you're personally willing to fiddle with it (except with violins, where it's the opposite).

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Dude; if you snag a Macbook, you snag Garageband which is an excellent starter DAW. Then, when you decide to upgrade a bit, Logic ProX talks really nicely to all of those projects in GB...

As far as bang for the buck goes, Logic ProX is VERY good. Comes with a lot more than Cubase or Protools does, as far as plugins and samples and software instruments... And easy to use? Hell yeah... Cubase can be a bit wacky what with all the ASIO crap, Abelton, ugh hurts my mind, Same with Reason. Protools, very proprietary, gotta spend a lot of money to get where you really want to be... Digital Performer isn't too bad, but...Meh. Reaper is a cheap alternative that isn't too bad... I have wasted a lot of cash on DAWS, lemme tell ya...

Just get Logic. My opinion.

I don't disagree with Scott on this, although I am a huge Pro Tools fan and started with my first Pro Tools plus an interface for my PC for under $400. You could get there with ANY of the major DAW programs plus an interface. A Focusrite Pro 16 for around $200 was my first Firewire interface, and I still use it with my Mac Mini. I had always used a soundcard in my PC as an interface before getting my first external interface. There's several now to choose from.

Quote:
That extra dough could easily go towards an interface, plugins, some nice monitors (speakers and screens), maybe another Stick, etc. Having multiple screens for doing any sort of computer work is an absolute dream, especially on articulated mounts.

If you don't already have a MacBookPro, a PC is much cheaper and I also feel better than a laptop, but ultimately a MacBookPro is very convenient. I guess the only value I have to add is that if you don't already have a Mac, a PC solution is cheaper.

I've used Reaper, which is free, and it's a fine software, although I loves me some Pro Tools. Logic rocks too, if you go the Mac route.

It seems you need to choose PC or MAC, and then your interface, and your DAW. You could definitely go the PC route the cheapest but both would get you there.

I use a MacBookPro and a Mac Mini, as well as 2 PCs, and swim with a couple of different interfaces and DAWS, but Pro Tools is the industry standard. As a newb, try a few different DAWS. There's pros and cons about them all, but it really comes down to taste for most of us.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Oh, and the Garage Band to Logic Pro route is a great way to start off if you're already swimming with a MAC. But it's a cost hurdle to get into versus a cheaper PC.

Adds: you can get the Mac for around $2000 but that's about it. Garage Band is free though, but you'd still need an interface.

[Stops and checks prices:]
http://www.macprices.net/macbookpro13.shtml

There's a range of prices, but you can maybe get there for $1500, which would leave you some for the interface. Hmmm, maybe the MAC way would be the better...

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I would stay away from PC's.... save your money and spend it on a Mac laptop w/GarageBand and Logic.... You will be happier down the road and will get MORE bang for your buck in the long run.

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:53 am
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for your replies.

I have always been under the impression that Mac is superior to PC for audio/video applications. The guitarist in my band uses a Mac Book with Logic ProX. He's far greener than I am as far as recording goes, but he is a computer guy. However, he admitted to me that a big part of the reason he owns a Mac Book is simply because he uses a PC all day at work. Also, the portability of a laptop is a major plus.

As someone else already put it, I guess I'm looking for "bang for buck", but I would rather spend a little extra dough now and get something that I'm not going to out grow in a couple years. I don't make these sort of personal purchases very often, so I want to make the most of it ;)

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:34 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I have a Mac book pro. And part of the reason I bought it was that at the Apple Store you can do one on one training. This has allowed me to be taught how to use garage band and ultimately Logic Pro x as well as Final Cut Pro. This training is well worth the 100 bucks a year as it is unlimited. I doubt that you could get one on one traing with any other platform unless you have a friend who can show youths ropes. I know macs are pricey but in the long run I think they are twice what a pc is. My two cents worth anyway

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:51 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Also; Lots of folks are using Ipads to great effect these days... A very inexpensive way of getting "in" without bankrupting yourself...

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:47 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

There's a lot to be said for Pro Tools on a mac or PC. It get's the job done, it has a simple 2 page interface, everybody has it and if you learn it deeply and get real fast at it - besides doing your own thing you'll have a marketable skill. I personally find Digital Performer w/Mach 5 sample engine running on an 8 core Mac to be all I'll ever need. First of all DP is well evolved, extremely elegant in it's interface, it comes with great plugins, editing is easy and intuitive, midi implementation is deep and complete and there's many ways to skin any sort of cat. The Mach 5 sample playing engine is a fantastic piece of software and the way it lives and functions inside of DP is a great music composing tool. Also very importantly the MOTU hardware interfaces are the least expensive when you get beyond simple 2 channel gadgets and have to cut 8-16 or even 24 inputs at once like when recording mixable live band gigs. Cubase is a close second in all respects and it will also run on MOTU hardware. I have a pretty nice private studio and I have to have all the major DAWS just in case someone comes in and prefers a particular program. I can get around on most of them and have used Cubase, Pro Tools and Digital Performer extensively - Logic not so much as it is quite different from all the others but it too is a remarkable DAW and I have it also - just in case - as well as Reason & Garage Band. I just keep coming back to DP though. BTW just about any of these except Logic will run on a PC now. For a cheap one man band home recording rig I'd suggest Pro Tools running on a PC laptop w/a 4 - 8 input capability interface. Don't forget to budget in a couple 2 or 4 TB Raids and at least one killer 2 channel preamp/EQ/compressor and at least one good large diaphragm condenser mic. One last thing and more important than many realize even if you're just recording on your smart phone or tablet - the best pair of medium sized near field powered monitors you can afford (not computer speakers!). Add a powered subwoofer if you do Hip Hop or EDM. Monitor speakers are the lens thru which you'll make all your recording and mixing decisions so don't skimp on the only thing in the chain that actually makes any sound.......

Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:57 pm