It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 am

Cool little practice amp - Roland AC-60 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Cool little practice amp - Roland AC-60
Hi everyone,

Several students have asked recently for a recommendation on a small practice amp. I looked around and found one that looked interesting, the Roland AC-60.

It's very small, and I mean very small. Designed for acoustic guitar. Not super loud but loud enough. Doesn't have a booming bass end (it's adequate), but the basic tone is comparable to the Fishman Loudbox (the Loudbox is louder). It has a really nice reverb, though it is applied equally to both channels. and a switchable chorus on each channel.

If you have a Railboard, you can run it in active mode in mono, but the passive mode also sounds pretty good with the Railboard.

The rear panel has balanced outs (left and right), mono 1/4" out, and a subwoofer out, stereo aux ins, and footswich jacks for the effects, and it's got a headphone amp as well. Two channels with three band eq for each. one is only 1/4" instrument, and the other is XLR (with 48volt phantom) and 1/4" line in in a combo jack. The line in sounded okay with the Railboard in passive mode, but not as clear as the instrument in jack.

It's available in two versions, one with the typical black plastic coating, and the other win a rosewood cabinet.

Anyway, if you are in the market for a practice amp, go check it out:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/ac-60/

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Cool little practice amp - Roland AC-60
Hi Greg,do you have any thoughts about the Supro amps?

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Roland AC-60 looks like a snotty little amp Hmm.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Around 22 lbs (10 kg).
$500 on Amazon.
Thanks for the suggestion Greg.

Wumeijiu Railboard #6783
Raised Matched Reciprocal

Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:08 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I use the AC-33 but with the headphones. It's too small to play it live. On the other side, with the headphone I use it like a preamp. This way I have access to a nice reverb and the chorus is really fun to play with.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Stay away from any kind of chorus when you begin to learn playing the stick. You'll think you've got a fat sound and you'll like it but you'll never acquire a proper touch.

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

There's also the AC-90 which takes things up a notch. A while back I spent some years being fascinated by and attempting to master the 4 octave chromatic harmonica a la Stevie Wonder and a lot of heavyweight players of that clean style jazz harp find this Roland AC series the ideal gigging amp. I bet it would be pretty great on just about anything. A tad on the expensive side though.

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:55 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Would someone please explain the appeal of practice amps to me? Given the ubiquity of powerful computers, I cannot understand why someone would buy a practice amp rather than an audio interface—for 20–40% of the price—given that neither are likely to form a long-term foundation for gigging with the Stick's five octave range.

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:22 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
Would someone please explain the appeal of practice amps to me? Given the ubiquity of powerful computers, I cannot understand why someone would buy a practice amp rather than an audio interface—for 20–40% of the price—given that neither are likely to form a long-term foundation for gigging with the Stick's five octave range.
there are a couple of advantages with a practice amp:

1. no latency
2. portability, can actually be used for some smaller solo gigs. also can be used as a front end for a louder system just by adding a powered speaker.
3. no computer

This last one appeals to me on a basic level. I spend enough time with my computer, so maybe having it be a central part of my practice routine turns me off.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Robstafarian wrote:

Some of us are old school, not wise in the ways of tech and choose to remain that way. I will prolly never use a computer as an interface, but that's just me.

cheers,
k

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery