It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:54 am

Cool little practice amp - Roland AC-60 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Cool little practice amp - Roland AC-60
Olivier wrote:
Stay away from any kind of chorus when you begin to learn playing the stick. You'll think you've got a fat sound and you'll like it but you'll never acquire a proper touch.

Well...I don't agree completely with this statement. On your side, Olivier, you sing and the stick is like a piano or any other instrument to back up your voice. When we play only instrumentals (like me) we are looking for different colors on the RH side. Sometimes it's a chorus or any other effetc...wha-wha, reverb, etc. The main point is not using "all-the-time" the same one. It's really fun to vary and use these effects.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Robstafarian wrote:
Would someone please explain the appeal of practice amps to me? Given the ubiquity of powerful computers, I cannot understand why someone would buy a practice amp rather than an audio interface—for 20–40% of the price—given that neither are likely to form a long-term foundation for gigging with the Stick's five octave range.

I am with you on this one, generally speaking. However, recently I purchased a cheap Roland Cube and I have had great results. Setup for practice is simple and I do not get caught up in messing with the various sound palettes that are available on the Mac.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:12 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Robstafarian wrote:
Would someone please explain the appeal of practice amps to me? Given the ubiquity of powerful computers, I cannot understand why someone would buy a practice amp rather than an audio interface—for 20–40% of the price—given that neither are likely to form a long-term foundation for gigging with the Stick's five octave range.
there are a couple of advantages with a practice amp:

1. no latency
2. portability, can actually be used for some smaller solo gigs. also can be used as a front end for a louder system just by adding a powered speaker.
3. no computer

This last one appeals to me on a basic level. I spend enough time with my computer, so maybe having it be a central part of my practice routine turns me off.

What Greg said.

Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:17 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I placed an order (purchased) for a Mesa Lonestar Classic (100, 50. and 10 watts selectable) in emerald bronco covering with a tan jute grille. Solid state or tube rectifier selectable, "clean" and "filthy" channels. Long spring reverb that is selectable "warm" or "bright". I've ordered it in a head and 2x12 cabinet format, since the 2x12 combo is impossibly heavy. Looking to use it in some Blues and R&B with my Strats ('64 and "hollow" warmoth). Can't wait... I know there are many in here that have known the anticipation of G.A.S. relief. LOL

Onward through the fog!

Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Robstafarian wrote:

The amp is simpler to use, more quickly turned on and what is more my wife doesn't want to use it to watch a movie while i'm playing :lol:

Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:13 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

My question would be, if you already have an amp, why not use that to practice instead of buying a practice amp? Equipment is cool and if you have the money to buy more stuff fine but ...

I guess if you leave your main amp at a rehearsal space then a way to hear yourself practice at home would be a good thing to have :)

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:29 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

dubyasee wrote:
Looking to use it in some Blues and R&B with my Strats ('64 and "hollow" warmoth).

I will PM you when I begin selling loaded pickguards, just in case you are interested. ;)

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:26 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I keep forgetting that other people's incomes are so much higher than mine that they can afford to duplicate functionality. When I move from using my computer to using a head and cab, that will be my gig rig.

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:29 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rwkeating wrote:
My question would be, if you already have an amp, why not use that to practice instead of buying a practice amp? Equipment is cool and if you have the money to buy more stuff fine but ...

I guess if you leave your main amp at a rehearsal space then a way to hear yourself practice at home would be a good thing to have :)
Hi Russell,

I like to have a small amp in the living room so I can practice by the fireplace.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Alain wrote:
Olivier wrote:
Stay away from any kind of chorus when you begin to learn playing the stick. You'll think you've got a fat sound and you'll like it but you'll never acquire a proper touch.

Well...I don't agree completely with this statement. On your side, Olivier, you sing and the stick is like a piano or any other instrument to back up your voice. When we play only instrumentals (like me) we are looking for different colors on the RH side. Sometimes it's a chorus or any other effetc...wha-wha, reverb, etc. The main point is not using "all-the-time" the same one. It's really fun to vary and use these effects.

I think Olivier's point is that when learning, chorus and reverb can mask poor technique and prevent proper development. Chorus and reverb are definitely useful modifiers, but are not a replacement of proper technique.

Just yesterday I was practicing "Portrait" by Kansas in front of my wife. She thought I was holding notes down better for continuity between chords and runs. To make sure, I turned off my <name drops> TC Hall of Fame reverb pedal on the melody side and BOSS Bass Chorus on the bass side. She maintained my technique had improved.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:37 am