It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

Floating Stick 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Floating Stick
Completed fabrication of a Stick support system attached to a used tom tom stand. Odd bunch of parts thrown together but once I got the desired angle I now know what you guys are talking about it's great. Just floating there in the middle of my room!

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Floating Stick
Sweet, Marty! Good for you! I bought a Tagg interface (serial #002) from Gene last year and a huge cymbal stand from Sweetwater to put it on, and it was a Stickstand for the Railboard for a while. But I discovered that it would best suit me in a live context, especially when I want to jump around from instrument to instrument, and play keyboards or another Stick or NS/Stick while playing with one hand on the Tagg-mounted Stick.

In actual practice, it took up a lot of space in the studio. So I'm not using it at the moment, but have it set to the side for now. But I see and feel you on how it feels to play something just floating in the air like that. It's pretty cool. 8-) :geek:

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Interesting to see these sticks stands coming up a bit lately.
I've seen Gene using one to great effect. Never tried one myself , I tend to move around lots when I play, but its occurred to me that the Stick sort of has three playing modes now, sitting, the usual belthook and of course the stand for playing and standing up. All equally valid depending on what you're into.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'm curious why SE hasn't offered adjustable Stick stands?

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Last edited by WerkSpace on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:18 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Playing on a floating Stick is really nice. 8-)
I saw what the others were doing and built my own.
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12070
AnDroiD wrote:
Completed fabrication of a Stick support system attached to a used tom tom stand. Odd bunch of parts thrown together but once I got the desired angle I now know what you guys are talking about it's great. Just floating there in the middle of my room!

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:20 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I must admit they do have a certain appeal especially if you're standing up and working a lot of pedals on a pedal board. But apart from sitting safely in the corner of my practice room, a Stick on one of those type stands always seems a bit precarious up there waving in the wind with a long way to fall. In the real world of places I've performed music all my life all it would take is a fellow musician, waitress, drunk patron (or me) tripping over a cable to send the whole rig crashing down into a drum kit or onto a hardwood dance floor.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:29 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Captain Strings wrote:
I must admit they do have a certain appeal especially if you're standing up and working a lot of pedals on a pedal board. But apart from sitting safely in the corner of my practice room, a Stick on one of those type stands always seems a bit precarious up there waving in the wind with a long way to fall. In the real world of places I've performed music all my life all it would take is a fellow musician, waitress, drunk patron (or me) tripping over a cable to send the whole rig crashing down into a drum kit or onto a hardwood dance floor.
My fear as well, which is why I've only used it for the Railboard, which, although it is the heaviest of my Sticks, it would probably survive a tumble better than the Rosewood. Especially, as I tipped over my 4-string left-handed bass guitar on its guitar stand and broke the headstock clean off it. (Still need to get some wood glue and clamp action on it one of these days).

But I still think it's a good idea--just for a limited and specific need or occasion. But there will come a time when I knock it over--it'll happen. The Railboard should survive a tumble but let's not find out the hard way!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

My bamboo took a spill recently (again), not on this stand, on my Ultimate Support Stick Stand. As per other tumbles, It nicked the furniture, not the bamboo. I swear that grass is resilient. THE STAND, however, sustained MUCH damage. The rods that hold the wooden base, but especially the collar where the V for the neck connects. Cracked, rivet pulled half-out, I had to drill it out and make a brace to shore up the collar. Incredible! That collar is nylon or some sort of non-metal I expected better from Ultimate Support. But back to my new stand like Capt. Strings said for in my studio it makes reaching pedals and everything else so much easier. Don't plan on using it@ a gig. I'm way too clumsy...

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

When I built my Stick Stand, I purposely built it with a quick disconnect.
If I'm not playing the Stick, it's safely stored out of harm's way. ;)

BTW - There's a safety catch on my quick disconnect system.
So, there's no chance in inadvertently disconnecting.

The stand also has provision to be weighted with an amp, etc.
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12070
Captain Strings wrote:

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:48 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

In my bedroom/studio now that it's sitting comforatble and secure I have no need for a floor Stick stand. So I can play it by just walking up to it, it slips right out if I wish play seated or traditional belthook/shoulder strap. Weeee! (and it looks AWESOME floating there majestically)

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery