It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:21 am

Interlochen 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Interlochen
I had been thinking of attending Interlochen.

I have some brief demonstrations of basic musical principles, in a lecture format. Students take notes and do not play along. The idea is to show what the instrument can do. Some topics:

1. Musical textures. I would play Bach. An invention, a canon, and a chorale.
2. Voice leading. Splitting harmonies between hands, I would demo the sound of parallel 5ths and octaves vs. smooth voice leading.
3. Harmonization of a given melody. The same melody with several different progressions under it.
4. Tonnetz and common-tone chords, etc.

There would be graduated excercises in classical and jazz books and some duet excercises to perform. This would all take place after hours of course.

I do not pretend to know everything about music. I do know that the Stick can fulfill the role of piano in musical education, because I learned everything I know about music using the instrument and it continues to give me access to good instruction. There is a lot to be said on this topic, and no-one else has done the work. For that reason I feel duty-bound to share—and that is the only reason I’ve ever posted here or attended seminars.

The thing is, given the zeitgeist here, I really do not see the point anymore, of working all of this up, then spending money and travelling across the country, unless there is specific interest on the part of several attendees. I do not mean those who would just like to see me look foolish.

I know Scott Kerr is into this stuff...what about the rest of you? How many fourths players are planning to go? How many Stickists care about a general musical education?

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Last edited by mad_monk on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Interlochen
Have you contacted Glenn Poorman about this.? He is the person running the Camp. i know Greg and Steve Adelson and Emmet will be there presenting. Id be interested in hearing what you have done. Perhaps you could share it on line for all the people who cant make the Interlochen workshop.

Cheers

Rob

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:14 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
Have you contacted Glenn Poorman about this.? He is the person running the Camp. i know Greg and Steve Adelson and Emmet will be there presenting. Id be interested in hearing what you have done. Perhaps you could share it on line for all the people who cant make the Interlochen workshop.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks, I had not thought of that, but this would be an after hours, informal meeting for just the people who are into it. And thank you, I may put something online this year.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I live in a different continent altogether so, for all the will I have to attend the seminar, I still probably won’t have the money for the travel. That being said, I will tell you this: the first and main reason that attracted me to the stick was the potential for playing Bach, on it. My avatar name here is Bachdois meaning following Bach. And I do, every day, so I will always be the first to hear what you have to say, it will just be easier if it is online. :)
Cheers
Rod

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

1 up

Last edited by ReyStick on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:09 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I remember hearing Mad monk for the first time in L.A. WOW! what a great player and performance that was..... I found him quite inspiring

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:10 pm