It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:15 am

Open Mic Practice 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Open Mic Practice
I'm lucky to live in Melbourne, its Australia's best city for music and known for it by bands across the world. This means you can pretty much see anything any night and there are lots of Open Mics happening.
So I'm starting to take advantage of this and cant get enough now after another outing at a Pub on Thursday night. What I really like apart from the people I meet and the atmosphere is the real challenge of being away from the comfort zone of my warm studio with carefully set up sounds through nice monitors. The light is different , the PA's range from pretty good downwards, (I can mostly here what I'm doing sometimes) and maybe its not that warm for the hands like my cosy studio( winter here ).

So as a respected bass playing mate said , " well one little live set is worth countless practice routines at home" and he's right. My pieces are structured but never the same , I like to experiment just a little on the fly, its incredible fun and becoming addictive. The STICK of course is always a highlight at these nights which are otherwise mostly guitars, vocals and perhaps a keyboard, so the WTF factor in the audience kind of helps and I always seem to spend a little time throughout talking and explaining to a crowd usually stacked with curious muso's, which is also enjoyable for me.

So the bottom line is its a great way to build confidence and play in widely varying circumstances with a supportive audience, I hear the mistakes, they probably don't most of the time. Looking forward to many more ASAP. Just need to keep building material now.
Have a great weekend wherever you all are!
B

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Open Mic Practice
Yeah, this is the dream Bruce. Keep pushing those new tunes and perhaps even sitting in with some guitarists of singers. I always look forward to posts from you, DBro and Kevin on this topic. It's inspiring for sure.

I would agree this is the most valuable practice once can get with an instrument, the opportunity to get feedback in real time. While I do still enjoy the novelty of introducing people to the instrument, my favorite compliment is always - "I love that song!". :D

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yep , " dug that music dude " or similar is always great . Getting better at juggling STICK time with 3 kids, school activities , working , family and all that other stuff, which I know you get!

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Bruce.
Glad you could get out and do it, and you took the words right outta my mouth (Meatloaf) , musta been when you were......ewh, er, um.....scratch that.... :lol:

The open mic is a great litmus test isnt it? Things aint perfect, sound aint right, you're nervous, your socks are too loose, the light doesnt light your linears like you're used to, yer specs slide down yer nose, folks sing the melody part, which screws me up........but you rise above, yes?

I've only done a few, (1st one over 100 folks, I pooped my pants) but each time it becomes easier eh? I endevour to do more, and I'm sure you do too. The Stick is a showstopper at these things, in a good way though...

Tell me,....on a side note.....do you Captain these vessels that you work on? If you do, do you wear an eyepatch.....'cause that would be hardcore...

much love,
cheers,
kev

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Kev
Well yes, in the parallel universe I regularly live in, I am actually in command of those Offshore Oil & Gas Vessels but no eyepatch yet! I should consider it maybe :D
On the gig side I was amused by the glasses sliding down remark, its happened, and those linears in the dim light, thats another..

Cheers
B

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ha! shit dude too funny yer online right now! I just closed down a wee party here in Canada, where I was privileged to play for some folks who haven't seen this crazy contraption. All went well, and I was 3x more comfy than last time i did it....played for an hour and change...Had to stave off booze intake so I could appear to be in top form, ehe. (cant play under the influence, at all). Kind of an open mic, but at home.

Brother, I have the biggest respect for you sailors....cause the seas are angry ( George Costanza).... angrier than the skies bro....

Cheers Captain,
kev

ps.
get that eyepatch up and running.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bruce,
Kudos to you! I think Kev and Gene really hit all the key points best!

Mainly have fun, and yes you do have a "halo" effect going for you at all times!, plus more than likely you won't have another Stick player to follow or follow up on you! :D Not Yet!

As my one SKYPE student says "He's the best Stick player in ________ " name a remote country here.

For everyone, try these open stages
- once you get past all the things Kev said, which are true by the way, that's why I take my glasses off!, you get a real immediate feedback with what songs worked and which ones need shelved or revisited.

Don't be shy if a guitarist asks you to play, grab a pencil and paper ( always should be handy or in your case) write down the basic chord changes and JUST PLAY BASS- two handed to make it easier- they'll get the chords. i did this impromptu for a great friend, at first it was like the clicks on a roller coaster, and I was real nervous, but then the groove settled in and I found my way around and started playing some of the signature licks on bass for the tune, and I felt great afterward, and the applause wasn't too shabby!

plus I felt like I clicked off a bucket list and know now that I could do this. The bass and guitar with a vocal really clicked like peanut butter and chocolate!

Lastly, remember, about the audience, unless you are actually playing for the Walking Dead, they WON'T BITE YOU!

again, RRRRRRR, congrats Bruce!
Dave B "DBro"

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Nice work, Bruce!

They really are a sink or swim event. Even if the audience is friendly, which they frequently are, the blood is pumping and the nerves are active. If your level of practice is above board, it takes the performance upwards. Otherwise, it can be a disaster. Either way, it helps us focus on what to do next in practice.

Oil keep up the good work if you do.

-Daniel

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:42 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks everyone, all good advice, I'm out again on Wednesday night to a funky little venue I've had my eye on a while, better get back to practice!

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Uh oh.....The horse is outta the barn now.... Way to go Bruce!

Cheers,
Kev

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery