It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Open Mic Practice 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Open Mic Practice
Kudos to you Mr. Pirate for walking the plank that is the jam world The unknown can be a scary experience, but lo and behold, all is good on the other side.
The more you learn about your music craft, the more your confidence will show in your performance. Never ending
Keep moving forward
Steve

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Good on ya Piratebruce!! Nothing better than performing in front of an audience.
I like open mics, you get to see all manner of musicians, the good, the bad and the "fugly"! I played one a few months ago (my 5 pc band went all acoustic, I played my cajon), we were the feature of the night and thus had 30 minutes. Everyone else had 15. The first gal and her 2 daughters did one song, it was.... well, they walked off and did no more. the next 2 were much better, one was actually excellent. Then a keyboard player sat down with a portable keyboard on his lap and proceeded to cause the entire audience to cringe. He literally sounded like he was practicing... quite badly... in his room, by himself. Unfortunately that was really where he belonged! The next few acts, before and after us, were decent.

My goal is to play 15 minutes at this open mic, before the end of this year. When I first got my stick in January, with no string experience whatsoever, I guessed it might take me 2 years to be able to play maybe 1 recognizable tune. Since I started skype lessons, I am now up to about 8 songs that are 'recognizable'. Not even close to perfect yet, but I am far ahead of my initial projections (thanks Steve!). Even my wife said she hears songs that she recognizes! I just can't do much when anyone is paying attention yet, but that will come! I just need 3-4 songs downpat before I can do an open mic. Soon.............. :mrgreen:

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Finally got out again, it was cancelled last week. Nice night, played better, got through the fast ones and surprised myself. One guy had a pedal board bigger than the venue, and by the time the loopers were happening it was quite a soundscape . Having decent fold back and sound generally was inspiring and the poor light had me sometimes chasing fret positions but all good. Next stop Stickcamp in Spain in few days time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery