It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

Reflections... 

Post Reflections...
For the past 3 shows with my band Jupiter Groove, I have brought along my NS Stick and a bass or two. The thought was, at least for the first gig, that I would play the NS on a song or two. Well, as it turns out, I didn't even pick up my basses except for tuning and placing them on a stand. I have been loving the tone, feel and ease of articulation my NS provides me. It has added a character to our songs that enriches the overall tonal pallet and allows me to stand apart form other "bassists". I also played it on a gig with my side project Miss Meka Nism and her Creature Cabaret where I also employ the GK2 pickup on a few songs to add textures and some melody lines (boy, heads were turning that night!).
In a week we will be supporting Tony Macalpine and I am looking forward to playing my NS again. I have been dialing in some alternate settings on my Helix Rack just for my NS. My fave config is bright and somewhat crunchy without loosing low end rumble. I have a bit of compression, some EQ, delay, two overdrive options (modeled on Dark Glass and Demeter profiles), some funky 1970's Mutron like effects, and chorus. I get a few solos in our tunes (we're instrumental) and for my spotlight I get a lot of "WTF is that thing?". Hopefully referring to the NS and not my choice of attire.
What an amazing and inspiring instrument. When I 1st got my 10 string poly Stick over 10 yrs ago it turned my musical life upside down. I feel like I am at that same point again. It's a tribute to the vision that Emmett had back in the late 60s..one that was sparked by a sudden discovery that freed his hands to create music in a way that had never been done before. It sent him "leaping about the room in joy" and it has also done the same for many of who have been touched by this wonderfully creative being's daring and adventurous heart. Thank you Emmett..and Ned!

NS Stick #31114 w/GK2 Major 3rd tuning

Stanislav and The Lion
Birdsall/Leõn/Hayes
Strada-Sphere Radio Podcast

Last edited by Polyjuan on Thu May 30, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 29, 2019 5:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Reflections...
I really enjoy hearing how the NS is staring to further make it's way into more mainstream progressive music. It feels natural that guitarists are starting to venture into extended lower tunings and that bassists are starting to employ alternatives to 4 and 5 string basses.

It seems that employing the NS in this environment makes perfect sense. I enjoy hearing how you are able to perform tunes on either bass OR NS. very impressive - great job PJ!

Thu May 30, 2019 2:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanx! It took a little getting used to the spacing. Although I tend to favor Jazz Basses over any other bass (I have 6 of them!) for their neck profile, the NS string spacing took me a little to get used to. I still get the occasional "spill over" from my fingers and fret two strings at once when I don't mean to (nice surprise if the chord calls for a perfect 4th!). Even the spacing on my 6 string SoundGear is wider. But, I am getting very accustomed to that and the neck width now. In fact, I picked up my friend's acoustic the other day and it felt like a ukulele. Now, I have big hands and long fingers and have been playing the 10 string Stick for awhile now, but it's still a different feel that manages to relax my grip on the neck. I have an aggressive touch on bass, I play hard and often do a ton of racking and tend to have a heavy attack. I had to hang way back when I first started playing the NS but now it seems that I have been able to find a happy compromise in playing style. It seems, at least to me, that I am playing my NS with more attack now than before but not as hard as on my basses like when I 1st started. This wasn't intentional at all, it just seems to be the natural progression of technique when it comes to the Stick and NS in particular. My theory is this: My ears and hands have formed an unconscious synchronous link. Now that may speak to me taking the past 35 yrs of bass playing and saying that I was not aware of my technical approach to my basses (or music, for that matter), but, as so may other Stickists have stated already, the Stick and NS Stick allow us to become one with our instruments and music. It's an extremely personal creative tool. So, is it a matter of experience? Is it a matter of physicality? Is it organic or spiritual? Chemical? Does it tick all the squares I have mentioned or is it something else? For me it is a connection that is formed in the inner mechanics of humans that encompases all of these points and others that we may not be aware of. It's like that when I play the Native american Flutes that I craft. I breath life into it from the creation process to the execution of art. To me that is highly spiritual. Not to be mindlessly throwing any of those terms around, but it reminds me of King David as a young boy playing the lyre to sooth Solomon's headaches...to drive out his demons.
Wow..maybe this should be moved to a "Stick Philosophy" thread!

NS Stick #31114 w/GK2 Major 3rd tuning

Stanislav and The Lion
Birdsall/Leõn/Hayes
Strada-Sphere Radio Podcast

Thu May 30, 2019 8:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Man, I'm really enjoying the journey - thanks for not sparing any of the details, it's a fun read.

I've long wanted an NS, it's saving up the money to get one and committing the time. I think the NS will continue to amaze your audiences and am always up for your gig reports.

Cheers!

Fri May 31, 2019 3:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery