It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:19 am

Kids Musical Theater Gig 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Kids Musical Theater Gig
I actually wrote this back in May, but somehow never posted it. Oops!

I recently played in the band for a musical theater performance at my church. The cast was about 30 kids and several adults. The music and script were original- the composers/authors are two of our own, one of whom I play with on occasion during worship service. Five piece band: keys, guitar, drums, percussion, and Stick holding down the low end; I also played the melody side on a couple of songs. Multiple styles- pop, hip hop, a lullaby, a march, calypso, surf, etc. The band met 4 times separately to work out the music, then there were three rehearsals with the stage folk.

This was more chaos than I've played in before. The band was on the floor about six feet from the audience, there were house vs. monitor sound conflicts, light conditions varied, audience chatter right behind me, cast and crew movement, beach balls being batted around in the audience, etc. For many of you this sort of stuff is no news, but it was a growing experience for me. The first stage rehearsal brought with it a minor case of sensory overload that impacted my playing. Glad for that initial exposure to get me accustomed to the environment.

What fun the performance was! Packed house (500+). The show went off without a hitch, no small feat. Major props to the stage performers and directors: the singing was clear and understandable, and the theme of wisdom from the book or Proverbs in the Bible came across clearly. The music stood out...I've seen a lot of kids' musical theater, and Diane really raised the bar. The songs were catchy, fun, and carried their messages effectively.

The band worked and played well together, with a number of interesting mini-angles in the details. Our keyboardist played with a broken right shoulder, our guitarist played crash cymbals in the march, I faked a tuba with a Stick, our percussionist got to drop a big ol' chain on a board to the beat throughout a pirate-themed piece, drummer killed it throughout...good time. A live band really raises the energy level, both for the audience and the kids on stage singing and dancing along..lots of comments to that effect.

A challenging, fulfilling and fun experience, on multiple levels. If you ever get a chance to play in a musical theater production, jump on it!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:53 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Kids Musical Theater Gig
What a huge win! Great to hear, any video?!

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

earthgene wrote:
What a huge win! Great to hear, any video?!

I've seen/heard the recording (cast party), but I don't have a copy yet. Between a really difficult room, a board that was on its last legs, and managing a slew of extra mic channels, audio quality was adequate, but not good for appreciating the band. :-(

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:38 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Spotlightz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-DnqFWEJ0&t=75s

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:31 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Wow, Gussett!

What a great ensemble,sounds like you had a ball playing in that context.

Congrats!

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery