It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

Fête de la Musique 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Fête de la Musique
Each year in Europe, there's the so called "Fête de la Musique" with live music all over the place during one week-end of june.

So these were 2 busy days for yours truly. Friday night, I played solo on the terrace of the irish pub. Nice early evening gig, two sets of 65 minutes with a 20 minutes break from 6:30 pm to 9 pm. Great weather, great crowd, killer sound with my baby Bose L1. The pay was also good. Who could ask for more?

Yesterday night, I was scheduled with son Axel on drums on one of the stages in the pedestrian zone. We played this gig twice already and each time we had the same soundman, who does a fabulous job. He was around this time too, so we knew the sound would kill.

The only thing that bothered me was that I had no time to install the Bose on stage. So I just gave the guy my Stick signal after processing, via one direct mono outpout of my QSC mixer. This meant I had to rely on wedges to hear the whole picture (drums stick, voice).

We did a lightning quick sound check and I immediately noticed the wedges seriously lacked bass. OMG, the bass side of my stick sounds like cardboard! So I asked the soundman to boost the bass a little in the monitors. He said "forget it, these are very crappy old wedges!". So I asked him to cut some medium high at 1.5 khz and it immediately smoothened the whole thing, which became, well, almost bearable.

So here I am, having to play with a bad stick bass side sound on stage (the rest was OK) but knowing that the FOH sound is killer( there were these big fat subwoofers, yummy). So I mentally switched on "WTF, FOH is great, just go for it!". And it worked! I loosened up and we did a very good performance - no train wrecks, one lyric line sung twice on a song because I mixed up 2 verses and a couple of extra bars in "China girl" before diving into verse 2 (so many lyrics for such a small brain). One wrong chord in "Bird on a Wire", but it sounded good with the vocals, so who cares? After the gig, everybody said the sound was fabulous and we even sold a bunch of CD's!

The bottom line? Live performance is the art of coping with discomfort. It's really a matter of attitude. Do your best and be convinced it's terrific. There's quite a chance the audience will have the same feeling.

PS: Here's what we played:

No woman no cry / B.Marley
Jolie Louise / D. Lanois
Bird on a Wire / L. Cohen
Vertige de l'amour / A. Bashung
Englishman in New-York / Sting
Five Years / D. Bowie
Losing my religion / R.E.M
Plus rien ne m'étonne / Tiken Jah Fakoly
Rouler dans les plantes / Olivier V.
Un vieil amour / Olivier V.
China girl / Iggy pop
Walk on the wild side / L. Reed
Like a Hobo / C. Winston

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Olivier on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Fête de la Musique
Great set list!!! Besides being a great player/singer on the Stick.... I really appreciate the relationship you have developed with your son.....That transcends everything!!

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:52 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

wish i could have been there. Im glad you shared your expeiences. It willhelp me when I have to do a solo gig in September. Its just a street corner gig but my first real gig.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:00 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Fête de la Musique
Congrats Olivier. You're right of course: live performance really is the art of coping with discomfort. :) Good attitude will sell almost anything to the audience ;)
And I'm with Randy: having your son with you is the best! Plus, you're a top player anyway so there's no reason why it shouldn't be a success :)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:17 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thank you so much for the good words., guys.

A friend in the audience made a good use of his smartphone. Here's a little digest:

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Absolutely, I am checking this for watching in it's entirety later today as I am still at work. You are a top Stickist Oli! Thanks for sharing.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Actually (at the beginning) the "Fête de la Musique" celebrate the starting of summer and it's held on June, 21st.
But now it can be on the week-end around (simpler than in the middle of the week) like Olivier did.

Here's how it was with my band:

#5162 10-string Maple Stick
#5743 Tinted Salmon Light Bamboo Grand Stick

AFSTG (Association Française du Stick et de la Tape Guitare)

Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:25 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Great, Yannick. You guys rock.Thanks for sharing. :)

Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery