It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

Playing improvised Stick for dancers 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Playing improvised Stick for dancers
For some weeks, I've been asked to play with a dancers group in my hometown. The group is led by a very good dancer, who is teaching a dance improvisation method called the Wave Dance from Gabrielle Roth. The performance is total improvisation, from both dancers and me, but it has to follow some kind of progression during the whole process : it lasts between one hour and a half and two hours, and is divided in five seamless "sections" (Flowing-Staccato-Chaos-Lyrical-Stillness). This duration makes the performance quite exhausting at the same time, but rewarding as well. Last time we played, I used a looper for the first time ever in a live gig. I intended to use it during the Chaos phase, to build a driving rhythmic riff and add some layers upon it, but as I'm quite a newbie at loops, things went wrong at some point, mainly because the room was so large that the reverb made the loops became a washy and noisy chaos :roll: :mrgreen:

clip

Has anyone here already played for dancers? How was your experience? Quite curious to steal some tips from more experienced players... ;)

Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Playing improvised Stick for dancers
Bonjour Bruno

I dont really have any advice but I think the idea of improvised stick themes With Dance is a really great one, also I have a daughter very much into Dance. I imagine it is exhausting over that period but also very satisfying as you say. No doubt you will work out the Tech & Loop issues as you progress.
Best Regards. :D :D

Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Great to see you in action, Bruno.

I've done this kind of thing several times. The hard part is watching the dancers instead of my own hands. To decide how much you want to lead them, or react to them, is always the dynamic in question.

Congratulations on a cool gig.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Here in Erie there was a group that did something like you describe. I am sure you could research and communicate with someone in the group. I think the "leader" is a man called Joe Popp. I have met and talked to him on a few occasions and we (Liquid Nixon) even opened up for them once. I really love this kind of stuff and if they did it more often, I would actively pursue a spot in the band(though I don't know if they would have me).

Best of luck on your work in this area.

Mike

Actually, after watching your clip, this is not much like what you describe. :oops: Yours includes much more conventional beauty! I think the world has room for both. Congratulations on a meaningful piece of art!!!

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery